Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi:

Thinking about replacing the stock steering wheel with a sports after market one. These does not have air bags. How could I disable the airbag without getting the airbag warning light?

Thanks

Assuming I remove/reassemble the Airbag, after disconnecting the Battery and waiting 30 mins for the capacitor to discharge, then will the Airbag warning light still come on? If so, how can I avoid this happening?

Thanks.

Assuming I remove/reassemble the Airbag, after disconnecting the Battery and waiting 30 mins for the capacitor to discharge, then will the Airbag warning light still come on? If so, how can I avoid this happening?

Thanks.

I've replaced the wheel twice on my '02 C4S. I disconnected the battery, removed the airbag, then the wheel. I didn't wait the thirty minutes that you mentioned, and have never had a problem with a warning light. One note: be sure to have your radio code handy. You'll need it after re-connecting the battery.

Good luck, but you won't need it. This is an easy DIY project.

Ken

• Admin

Thanks.

I've replaced the wheel twice on my '02 C4S. I disconnected the battery, removed the airbag, then the wheel. I didn't wait the thirty minutes that you mentioned, and have never had a problem with a warning light. One note: be sure to have your radio code handy. You'll need it after re-connecting the battery.

Good luck, but you won't need it. This is an easy DIY project.

Ken

On RoW cars the alarms are wired differently - On RoW cars most folks just turn the ignition on before removing the battery to avoid alarm problems.

Ken,

Thanks.

The reason for waiting for a period of time (I suggested 30 mins), after disconnecting the Battery, and before removing the Airbag, is to allow the Airbag Capacitor to discharge. If you don't do this, potentially the Airbag is still 'live'. :o

Do wheels typically come with instructions on how to remove the current wheel? I hate to start just pulling and jerking...

I didn't get any with my new wheel, but it's a simple process. Disconnect your battery. In this forum John suggested waiting 30 minutes for the airbag's capacitor to discharge. Good idea. Two screws on the back of the wheel hold the airbag. Lift it gently off and unplug the two or three wires, taking note where each one goes. Take off the center nut, and the wheel will pull off very easy.

Here's a link that will help: http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/obc.stalk.pdf

Note: The pictures in the link go past simply taking the wheel off, so stop after the wheel is off, and if you're replacing the wheel, marking it for re-installation shouldn't be necessary.