Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

That %$#@able rubber coating on the interior...

Hey all--

Does anyone know what that rubber-like coating is on the interior components, and where one might purchase some?

I'm looking to refresh a few scuffed areas on the center console and doors, and I'm having a bear of a time finding a source for this coating.

Thanks in advance,

-Rick

Edited by 986Rick

I sprayed some of this post-84-1205874839.jpg

on my red clip and it was pretty close to the color and texture of the black soft touch finish. I'm not sure how well it would hold up on interior parts, not that the "soft touch" finish is all that great. When my car was under warranty, I think the dealer replaced just about every interior part with that finish at least once. When it gets bad enough, since I have to pay now, I plan to talk to the plug guy about replacement parts.

Guys, thanks for all the info. I thought I'd share some info I've been able to get from "outside traditional channels..."

The mail reason for my looking for this is that I'm replacing/repairing several of interior components on my '00...I think the previous owner:

a. Had more jewelry than Mr. T,

b. Set loose a pair of wolverines in heat inside the cockpit, or

c. Just didn't give a *&%$.

(Probably ©...can't understand some people not respecting their machines, but, well, whatever...)

So anyway, after picking up a "no smoker" ashtray insert replacement at Parts Heaven, I noticed something---my IBM ThinkPad has a remarkably similar finish.

On a whim, I did a search, and someone suggested that a very similar finish could be made by (drumroll please)...

...black chalkboard paint buffed with talcum powder.

So, seeing as I saved the center console I had to rip out and replace, I figure in the next few days I'll use that as a test part for this procedure. If it works, I'll do a DIY on the actual part in the car and post it here.

I'll keep you posted as to the outcome (good *or* bad).

-Rick

Edited by 986Rick

• 1 year later...

Rick, I did a Google search and found this on a Dupont site: http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en_US/pr...s/interior.html

DuPont Performance Coatings offers two options for soft touch systems. Both are two component and called VelvaShield® and Aqua~DekoSoft® for a solvent and waterborne system respectively. Both have the desired soft feel property while providing excellent scratch / mar and chemical resistance. Both VelvaShield® and Aqua~DekoSoft® are available with Teflon® offering superior cleanability or with antimicrobial agents designed to minimize the growth of microbials such as E. coli and other bacteria and fungi.

I have the same problem as I am sure most Porsche owner do. I am going to try and find a source for these paints and give it a try.

The mail reason for my looking for this is that I'm replacing/repairing several of interior components on my '00...I think the previous owner:

a. Had more jewelry than Mr. T,

b. Set loose a pair of wolverines in heat inside the cockpit, or

c. Just didn't give a *&%$.

(Probably ©...can't understand some people not respecting their machines, but, well, whatever...)

Rick - I'm sorry to say but I have both a 2004 Boxster and also a VW Golf mkIV with this "soft touch" coating and I care for these cars well... and yet their soft-touch dashes still look like someone scratched them like crazy... which didn't actually happen. I believe the reason for my soft touch dashes deteriorating rapidly is the very hot humid climate here in Brisbane, Australia - but obviously it's a design flaw as well.

So, presumably even replaced parts would start flaking and "scratching themselves" again.... thus an alternative solution with better coating products might be more beneficial, not to mention cheaper.