Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil level indicator does not work on a 02 996TT

I have changed the oil level sender, but still no working...

I can't see how much oil s inside the engine.

Anyone faced this before ?

Any ideas of what is should look at ?

What does usually go wrong with these ?

There is really only the oil level sender and the two wires that go to the cluster.

So, I would check the continuity of the two wires from the sender to the cluster.

Do these wires go directly to the instrument cluster ?

Could it be the instrument cluster ?

I am wondering if the oil level sensor is working right on my 2003 TT coupe. I changed my oil and filter and added 9 quarts and the oil level read full. Now after driving 500 miles, it still reads full. The car has always used a quart of oil every 1500 miles so I am puzzled. Could my sensor be stuck on full? I have 12,200 miles on the car, maybe it finally broke in? I sure wish that there was another way to check oil level. I just don't trust electronic stuff. What is wrong with a dipstick?

I agree with you Beecher.....I can't imagine why they'd not have a dipstick given the fact that the electronic one can and does fail, then youre left with no means of checking your oil level.....dumb move on Porsche's part IMO.

I guess if it fails....you can just drain it and pour it into a quart sized container and count the number of containers it filled up before putting it back in......I'm sure that's what Porsche intended in the event of level indicator failure.

Beecher, fill 8 liter to start with, normally it is fine.

Thanks, I went with the overfilled idea and found that by parking the car slightly nose high I could get the oil level gauge to drop by one bar, so I know that it works. Driver error!