Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clear Bra

I've been considering getting a clear bra for my seal grey 2005 987S. I was wondering how the bra handles stones and debris. Do they get embedded into the film? Does the film itself become pitted? Also, could you remove it without damaging the paint? For those who have it, are you happy with the investment? any regrets?

• 2 weeks later...

No regrets - actually, i consider it some of the best of my hard earned i've spent on the car.

The film doesn't end up embedding any of the road debris or the like and instead does a good job or repelling all but the largest of objects. If the installation is a good one, the film should last for quite a while yet; i'm currently running on almost 2.5 years now and its held up to most that's been thrown its way.

Maintenance of the film is not a big deal tbh, it just requires a wash and wax like the rest of the car. Some films come with a clear coat and others come without so you will need to do a little homework beforehand (mind you, IIRC they may all come with a layer of clear). Being plastic it has memory so any small grazes will pop out with a little warm water say and manipulation. Whereas in the past you will also have a partial bonnet covering, the manufacturers now produce a larger film for greater coverage so you won't get any borders.

Removal is simple. You can either wait for a warm day and have the film bathes in the direct light, or use something like a hair drier to heat up the area and remove the film bit by bit. It will come off without any hassle but on the odd occasion you may need to use a little cleaner to remove any residue.

The peace of mind it offers knowing its there is very appealing. Before it was on i could hear and gringe each and every knock i end up collecting.

Regards

Pop

Edited by Popolou

I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada and drive my car all year around. They put small kitty litter like gravel on the roads in the winter to add traction to ice. You can imagine what the result is on the highway when winter tires are picking up every little piece and shooting it out the rear of the car in front of you at 100km/h (60mph for all you Yanks'!). I've had the clear bra and it's absolutely the best thing I ever purchased. It's barely noticeable, extremely durable and fade resistant. It retails for around $700 for the hood, bumper and mirrors, but cost is around $300 so try and negotiate.

• 7 months later...
I've been considering getting a clear bra for my seal grey 2005 987S. I was wondering how the bra handles stones and debris. Do they get embedded into the film? Does the film itself become pitted? Also, could you remove it without damaging the paint? For those who have it, are you happy with the investment? any regrets?

My 2005 boxster S has the clearbra and let me tell you it works. I got hit the other day by a flying can on the 101 freeway and it just scratched the surface of the clear bra and I rubbed it out. Worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

I am convinced the clear bra is the way to go. In a trip through Colorado and Utah the clear bra took a beating especially with bugs. A good cleaning with polish and wax did the trick. I would suggest adding some around the rear intakes since this area is wider then the front. We received severe rock damage in this area to the point of needing to be painted (dang road construction). I will add the clear covering after this is done.

As a testament to the durability of the clear bra I was in a bad spot in heavy traffic one morning and had to stop very fast. To keep from getting rear ended I let up on the brakes a bit but now found myself too close to car in front and came up a few inches short. The rear bumper of the car in front went over the license plate bracket and left a scrap on the Bosxter front bumper. Peeled the clear bra off the bumper and not a scratch. Had the clear bra reinstalled, replaced the license plate bracket and all set. It's really good stuff!!