Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air Intake Fan Noise

• Admin

Unless your car is overheating that fan should rarely come on.

For the 987 series cars -

"The engine compartment scavenging blower is switched on and off at the following temperatures:

Engine compartment temperature: ON at > 158° F. (70° C),

OFF at < 131° F. (55° C).

Coolant temperature: ON at > 216° F. (102° C),

OFF at < 210° F. (99° C).

It can also be activated at high intake air temperatures / ambient temperatures."

If your fan is on during these "off" temperature ranges then something is wrong.

the fan and the thermostat works fine then from what you describe. just worrying that the engine temp gauge always stays smacked in the middle all the time after 20min of starting up and that worries me. is it normal? my weather here isn't that cold however, ranging between 22-30 degress celcius.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
Yes, your temperature gauge should be in middle all the time after warm-up.

Curious, should the fan be always on after warm up? middle is around 175F and is on above 158F.

Fan - which fan?

- air injection fan should only come on for a couple minutes at start up.

- the engine compartment purge fan should come on only when the engine compartment gets very hot.

- the front fender fans should come on (to stage one) at prescribed temperatures and to stage two (fast) at high temps and when the AC is on.

158F is for the purge fan. middle is around 175F will usually trigger the coolant temp sensor?

Yes, your temperature gauge should be in middle all the time after warm-up.

Curious, should the fan be always on after warm up? middle is around 175F and is on above 158F.

its the engine compartment fan (side vent) is it always on?

Have you flashed your engine software by any chance?

could i find out more using the durametric diagnostic software? i have not touched anything at all to the engine.

guys,

my car is stock, no flash. I did a dme and found no faults pertaining to the Engine Compartment Fan (side right vent) or anything pertaining to the temperature stuff. I did a DME on the engine, it stabilises at approx 85 degree celcius whether hard or normal drive. the engine compartment temp is hovering around 46-56 degress. However these readings are taken when the Engine Compartment Fan is on (as I have no way to deactivate the fan for the read to be taken).

The Front Fender fan seems like it's always on if your Airconditioning is on, so that shouldn't be much of a worry.

One more thing, My car smells like there's something burning inside the compartment after a drive. I also a couple of guys writing in asking if i do get that smell too.

Could i get a quick show of hands from guys experiencing these two problems on their 987S or no S?

1) The Engine Compartment Fan is perpertually on!

2) The Right Side Vent produces a burning smell everytime after a drive!

Thanks guys..

• Moderators

997 / 987 front fenders are definitely not always on with the air conditioning on, they works only when needed, this is the difference with 996 / 986.

• 1 year later...
If your car is a 987/997 let check on fault codes, big chance that one fan is out.

Maybe... my air conditioner is not even cold. btw I have a 2008 Boxster S

I have read in a Porsche mag that leaves can get easily stuck in the radiators compartments between the air conditioner heat dissipators and the actual coolant radiators. That dramatically reduces the radiators' heat dissipation capability and therefore, the air conditioning's effectiveness. In addition to that, the coolant gets warm quicker even when driving and can reach the temp at which the fans kick off faster.

I remember the "old days" :rolleyes: when cars didn't have a primary and a secondary coolant circuit (i.e. no thermostat). In winter, my father used to put a piece of cardboard on the radiator in order to reduce the surface of the coolant radiator that was exposed to fresh air. This was to ensure that the engine would reach its operating temp. Nowadays, we do not need to do that precisely because of the thermostat. If your radiators are less exposed to fresh air because of leaves, for instance, it's like having a piece of cardboard on them!

Edited by manud

• 5 months later...

guys,

my car is stock, no flash. I did a dme and found no faults pertaining to the Engine Compartment Fan (side right vent) or anything pertaining to the temperature stuff. I did a DME on the engine, it stabilises at approx 85 degree celcius whether hard or normal drive. the engine compartment temp is hovering around 46-56 degress. However these readings are taken when the Engine Compartment Fan is on (as I have no way to deactivate the fan for the read to be taken).

The Front Fender fan seems like it's always on if your Airconditioning is on, so that shouldn't be much of a worry.

One more thing, My car smells like there's something burning inside the compartment after a drive. I also a couple of guys writing in asking if i do get that smell too.

Could i get a quick show of hands from guys experiencing these two problems on their 987S or no S?

1) The Engine Compartment Fan is perpertually on!

2) The Right Side Vent produces a burning smell everytime after a drive!

Thanks guys..

Show of hands.

1. My engine cooling fan is also always on.

2. I have never had a burning smell

• 2 weeks later...

My engine compartment fan is NOT always on, but does run when idling in traffic or starting after running then sitting for a short period. It is also quite powerful and noisy but not unusually so.

I have never noticed a burning smell, other than when brand new and parts were burning off oils and such for the first few times.

2008 S

Edited by jlamb

• Moderators

The engine room ventilation fan may not always on, certainly not with cold engine, some possible causes are: DME error, DME poorly programmed, sensor failure, wiring/connector failure. I would be inspected the issue if i was you.