Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME data on a 996 C4 4S

Hi, I have checked the DME data with someone´s PIWIS on my C 4S 2004 and it looks strange to me.

The odometer shows 19.400 km, but the DME shows only 18.700km with 300 operating hours. Does it mean the DME had been exchanged?

Number of ignitions range 1 is very high with about 15.000 and 1600h. Range 2 is 8. What does that say?

I can not believe 15.000 ignitions in less than 20.000km. What is the difference between range 1 and 2?

Can someone interpret this?

Thanks, Marco

• Admin

Stage 1 ignitions are pretty normal results of hitting the rev limiter. We do not know for sure but we believe that since they are categorized as "ignitions" that for one engine revolution (in say 1 second) you would get 6 ignitions. Either way these are "safe" over revs because the rev limiter protected the engine. I would not worry about the number.

Stage 2 ignitions are over revs the rev limiter can not protect against - such as a missed downshift. In some cases Porsche may deny warranty claims if there are many stage 2 over revs - as they are viewed as signs of abuse. i have seen cars with hundreds and thousands of stage 2 over revs. i certain would worry about 8.

Thanks again!

When you recall the DME Datas with a PIWIS Tester, you get something like (Unfortunately I do no have a screentshot)

Ignitions range 1:

Ignitions range 2:

Operating hours:

KM:

There was more, but I do not remember! The KM shown here are about 700 less than the total KM shown in the instrument cluster. What can be the reason?

• Moderators

I do not know the answer, but have seen this.

Guy with a 2002 C2 came by my office and I hooked it up to the PST2, and played around.

Saw 60,618 km in the DME. The US car had the factory OBC so I asked the owner to convert the odometer from miles to km and the OBC display showed 63,236 km.

post-4-1208498266_thumb.jpg

post-4-1208498289_thumb.jpg

Could the difference be the adjustment of 5 mph in the speedo as the "safety factor". Mine is 5 mph so for every hour driven, I actually going 5 miles less then what I should be. Does the odo reflect true mileage or this adjusted mileage by the speed factor? If so then my vehicle truely has less mileage on it.

Rick

99 996C4

87 944S

78 924

I do not know the answer, but have seen this.

Guy with a 2002 C2 came by my office and I hooked it up to the PST2, and played around.

Saw 60,618 km in the DME. The US car had the factory OBC so I asked the owner to convert the odometer from miles to km and the OBC display showed 63,236 km.

Hi Tool Pants,

From which control unit (or in which menu) have you received the datas on the screenshot. Unfortunaltey I have not kept in mind, when we hooked up to the PIWIS. Can I get those datas also from Durametric? I want to check once more, but it is easier to find a Duramteric than PIWIS!