Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New owner questions

Hello guys. I just got a 944 1985-1/2 that I am using for track events primarily, has the cage, racing seats, harness, etc. Great car with a great body style. I have a few things wrong that I would like to fix:

1. Horn doen't work. Where is it? Need to test to ensure it is getting power

2. Backup lghts not working. All other tail lights do work. I think there is a backup light switch, but need to know the location so I can swap it

3. Smell of gasoline in garage. Filled up the tank and parked it in my garage. There is a noticeable smell of gas. Is it common or is it a charcoal canister replacement issue?

Thank you all in advance. I have done most of my previous posting in the 996 Forum.

Izzy

• Admin

1. Left front - behind the mud splash guard.

2. Similar to the 996 the back switch is on the top right side of the transmission (more towards the center)

3. I assume no visible leaks. Checked the gas cap?

I would try to see if the smell is stronger towards the front (carbon tank) or the back (expansion tank).

post-1-1210181571_thumb.png

Thank you Brother Loren! Will tinker with it tonight. There are no gas leaks, but did not check the gasket on the gas cap. Spend all afternoon yesterday replacing bulbs. Great car so far, will be on track in about 2 weeks.

post-4600-1210182256_thumb.jpg

3. Smell of gasoline in garage. Filled up the tank and parked it in my garage. There is a noticeable smell of gas. Is it common or is it a charcoal canister replacement issue?

My nephew had an '84 944. It had a noticeable smell of gas. A few days later his car went up in flames all by itself. He thought it might have been due to old fuel hoses. Given that your car is almost a quarter of a century old, you should check all your lines carefully for fuel leaks! Replacing anything the least bit questionable might be cheap insurance

Thanks Geoff. I had similar thoughts, so checked the lines first. They are all new SS ones, Pauer Tuning braided lines. Will double check for any install issues, but I didn't see any leaks (yet)

These are the bad boys:

http://www.pauertuning.com/fuel%20lines.htm

I am having the car detailed today at work, to do a good scrub, remove all the dead bugs and snakes, etc. It was a blast driving in, burning rubber on the first 3 gears is addictive.

Edited by Izzy