Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Code P0430 Boxster 2001

First post to the Board, thanks in advance...

I have a 2001 Boxster that just gave me a check engine light. I took it to Autozone and an isolated P0430 error code popped up. I have no other problems with the car, perhaps a minimal occasional rough idle. I read all there is on multiple boards on this error, and it seems the consensus is that the O2 sensors are fine and that it is an isolated catalytic converter issue. Now, I have several questions:

1) Could this still be an O2 sensor problem? I have yet to reset the code, and will see if it comes back. If so, should I even bother to change them? It seems that they have a life-span of 30,000 miles? Is this what most people experience?

2) If it does end up being the cats, do I replace both of them, or it usually one or the other? That is do I change both the primary and secondary cats?

3) Has anyone had experience with used cats? I priced them and there are FAR more reasonable than new.

Now when you say that there is a bad cat, does that mean both of the 2nd bank cats are bad, or is it usually one or the other?

In most cases O2 sensor "diagnose" a problem not cause a problem.

P0430 TWC Conversion, Bank 2 – Above Limit

If you erase this code and it continues to come back - then you have a bad catalytic converter.

• Admin
Now when you say that there is a bad cat, does that mean both of the 2nd bank cats are bad, or is it usually one or the other?

In most cases O2 sensor "diagnose" a problem not cause a problem.

P0430 TWC Conversion, Bank 2 – Above Limit

If you erase this code and it continues to come back - then you have a bad catalytic converter.

The code calls out bank 2 only.

As kbull88 said above check you Maintenance book for your car - as to emissions warranty.

hi all,

i am also having problem with the same CEL p0430. it happened 2 days ago. i reset the CEL to see if it returns, it was good for one day until last night i was driving on the freeway and the light came back on, this created a new problem. car now idles at elevated RPM appro. 1200-1300 and sometimes even shoots higher then drops back to about 1200. is it still safe for me to drive the car? engine seems to be making more noise now, however temperature seems to be ok. any suggetions??

EIblanco, did u ever find out if the cats are warranteed at 8 yrs 80k miles??

If you CEL is on steady it is safe to drive the car. If the CEL is flashing then it should not be driven.

hi Loren, thanks for the answer.

i just got the scanner from autozone. it now gives me P0507 idle control system rpm high, P1128 manufacturer control fuel air metering, and P1130 manufacturer control fuel air metering. The original code P0430(bank 2) is not showing at this time. now i am wondering if the bad cat. or oxygen sensor had triggered bad fuel/air mix which leads to high rpm (1200-1300) at idle or if i am in deep trouble. any thoughts??

• Admin
If you CEL is on steady it is safe to drive the car. If the CEL is flashing then it should not be driven.

hi Loren, thanks for the answer.

i just got the scanner from autozone. it now gives me P0507 idle control system rpm high, P1128 manufacturer control fuel air metering, and P1130 manufacturer control fuel air metering. The original code P0430(bank 2) is not showing at this time. now i am wondering if the bad cat. or oxygen sensor had triggered bad fuel/air mix which leads to high rpm (1200-1300) at idle or if i am in deep trouble. any thoughts??

P0507 Idle Air Control at Stop – Above Limit

Idle speed too high.

– Throttle valve is sticking

– Leaks in intake air system

P1128 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 – Above Limit

P1130 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 – Above Limit

– Incorrect signal from MAF sensor

– Intake air system leaking

– Fuel pressure too low

– Volume supply of fuel pump too low

– Fuel injectors fouled

– Exhaust system leaking

• 4 months later...

I have a 2001 Boxster that just gave me a check engine light. I took it to Autozone and an isolated P0430 error code popped up. I have no other problems with the car, perhaps a minimal occasional rough idle. I read all there is on multiple boards on this error, and it seems the consensus is that the O2 sensors are fine and that it is an isolated catalytic converter issue. Now, I have several questions:

1) Could this still be an O2 sensor problem? I have yet to reset the code, and will see if it comes back. If so, should I even bother to change them? It seems that they have a life-span of 30,000 miles? Is this what most people experience?

2) If it does end up being the cats, do I replace both of them, or it usually one or the other? That is do I change both the primary and secondary cats?

3) Has anyone had experience with used cats? I priced them and there are FAR more reasonable than new.

• 1 year later...

I have similar problem. I was getting P1126 and P1133 and P107. I repaced both o2 sensors afterr cat nad MAF then my error went away. I drove a bout 50 miles then trying to get the inspection but it was ready yet. I drove about 125 mile I got new error code p0430. Do you really thins it was bad cat. Should Icange the both o2 sensors before cat as well.

It could be 02 sensor.The sensor is part of the emissions control system and feeds data to the­ engine management computer. The goal of the sensor is to help the engine run as efficiently as possible and also to produce as few emissions as possible.Try to swap your o2 sensors from left to right and right to left then clear the code and see if there's any change.

It could be 02 sensor.The sensor is part of the emissions control system and feeds data to the­ engine management computer. The goal of the sensor is to help the engine run as efficiently as possible and also to produce as few emissions as possible.Try to swap your o2 sensors from left to right and right to left then clear the code and see if there's any change.

Before the cat o2 sensors are not the same. After the cat are the same. Do you really think that might be the problem with my o2 sensors before cat.