Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is there a seat belt light hack?

Is there a hack for the seat belt light? I’m considering removing the stock driver side seat belts once I install my 6 point harness. One drawback to this is that the seat belt light will be on all the time. Is there a way to bridge the connection for the seat belt light so that the car will think the seat belt is buckled up, even though there is no seat belt? I could play around with this, but thought someone might have an answer that would save me the trouble.

Mike,

I think what you want is the seatbelt light out... but the airbag function still active -- right?

Yes, that's correct Loren. I don't want to lose airbag function, but want the computer to think the seatbelt is buckled even when it's not.

I thought that anything more than an OEM type 3 point belt was illegal for road use. On another note... if you are fully belted in with a 6 point belt, I would think the front airbag is of little use b/c the harness is going to keep you firmly in the seat. I guess that the airbag would then become a debris shield of sorts?

I thought that anything more than an OEM type 3 point belt was illegal for road use.  On another note... if you are fully belted in with a 6 point belt, I would think the front airbag is of little use b/c the harness is going to keep you firmly in the seat.  I guess that the airbag would then become a debris shield of sorts?

Interesting point about the airbag. Can anyone confirm the legality of using 6 point belts on the road? This whole thing about removing the stock belts was just a thought, but would be a moot point if it's not legal. <_<

Point aside... I like the six point belts at the track, but they would be a real PITA to use for regular driving. I hope that someone has the answer on the legality issue, I too am curious now.

• Moderators

I guess the question is is the racing harness DOT approved. I did not think there were any but a quick search shows a Schroth Ralley-4 four point harness as being DOT approved. It uses the oem anchor points and is only made for a few cars.

I have always been told you need to jump the wires to the seat belt with a correct resistor to make the car think it is still there so you do not get the light.

Not what you are looking for but there is a company that sells a switch to disable any air bags you want. Jeff

Switch

I have always been told you need to jump the wires to the seat belt with a correct resistor to make the car think it is still there so you do not get the light.

Tool Pants,

Don't suppose you would know what that resistor should be rated at...... :rolleyes:

Thanks Loren! That diagram helps a lot, but I'm not sure I feel competent (or lucky) enough to start shorting out jumpers with the ignition on to see if the seatbelt lights go out! :eek: Unless someone has specific info on which switches to wire shut (looks like there are two) or whether something more than simply running a jumper between the two wires is required, I'll probably give up on this project. I don't want to be the guinea pig on this one!

How about a low tech method?

Why can't you just buy a spare buckle and plug it into the receiver?

I was originaly planning to remove everything but got sidetracked by the DOT legality issue. As it stands now, that sounds like a great idea so at least I won't have to be distracted by that dashboard light during driving events. I wonder if any old seat belt buckle would work or if a Porsche specific one is required? Where would I find a seat belt buckle....wrecking yard? Loren, if you have a part number for a Porsche seat belt buckle I will be in awe. :notworthy:

• Admin

Porsche does not sell the buckle only (my guess would be safety/liability reasons). Since you only need the buckle, a wrecking yard or perhaps someone that has change their belts out would be a good bet. Any buckle from a 996, TT, or Boxster should work fine.

• Moderators

I was only able to speak to Peter for a few seconds. You jump two of the wires with a resistor. The resistor can be 100 or 400 ohms. If your air bag goes off then they can tell from the control unit if the belt was 'buckled.' If you use a 100 ohm resistor the control unit will think it was buckled, and with a 400 ohm resistor it will show unbuckled. Jeff

I was only able to speak to Peter for a few seconds.  You jump two of the wires with a resistor.  The resistor can be 100 or 400 ohms.  If your air bag goes off then they can tell from the control unit if the belt was 'buckled.'  If you use a 100 ohm resistor the control unit will think it was buckled, and with a 400 ohm resistor it will show unbuckled.  Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. In light of the issue re: the legality of the 6 pt harness for street use, and just to take the path of least resistance (pun intended) I'm going to leave the stock belts in place and find a spare buckle to use when I track the car to eliminate the distraction of the belt warning light. But I appreciate your help. :thumbup:

I think the circuits with the resistors are shown with the 300 ohm resisitor to be shorted when the belt is in. The switch shown with the short bar connected to the diagonal line is shown "normally closed", meaning it opens with the belt buckled. If I'm right, that would mean opening 1 to 4 on the M553 driver's side would keep the light on the dash out.

• Moderators

Patrick is in charge of the electrical stuff from now on, ok Loren, he got it right.

Peter said to run the resistor from pin 1 to pin 4 wire so the light will not go on.

I do not understand most electrical stuff. The ohms changes I guess if the buckle is in or out.

Kind of like the deactivation bar for the child seat. Jeff

Ok here's the solution to the seat belt light issue.

1. Get in your car

2. Drive to the nearest self service auto salvage yard.

3. Look for an Audi or VW with seat belts in your interior color.

4. Cut the seat belt buckle out of an '84 Audi. (just what I chose, many years are identical)

5. Pay your $3.00

6. Drive home and clean up the buckle.

7. Install in driver's side receptacle.

8. Enjoy the fact that when you're using your 6 point harness the seatbelt warning light on the dash is off.

:D

buckle.JPG

buckle%20installed.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I spoke to Peter today and I misunderstood what he said to do. You hook up a 100 ohm resistor to bridge pins 7 and 8. On Loren's diagram for the passenger side follow wires 1 and 2 down to pins 7 and 8. On the drivers side follow wires 2 and 3 down to pins 7 and 8. Jeff

Jeff,

The 100ohm resistor will prevent the air bag light from coming on. The seat belt warning is the other contact on the switch, 1 to 4 on the plug under the seat. (5 & 6 on the other conector). Opening that circuit (or not having the receiver installed) should prevent the light.

• Upvote 1

• 12 years later...

Just did my seat belt harness mod, and wanted to confirm for others out there that Patrick's statement about leaving the circuit open for pin 1 and 4 will remove the seatbelt warning light.  Another way of looking at this would be to use the passenger seatbelt buckle for the driver side which would yield the same result.  I originally had jumped 1 and 4 which kept the light on, removing the jumper disabled the light.

Thank you all for your knowledge and insight.