Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

iPod wired to Radio Aux Input

While doing some maintenance work on my '00 Boxster I started to talk to the tech about my iPod and how I have it connected in my car.

Currently I just have a Kensington FM transmitter (http://us.kensington.com/html/6402.html) that connects my iPod to my car speakers. He told me that my radio has an aux input on the back and with the right cable harness I could wire in the Kensington harness to the aux input. This would create a setup so that the new harness would still plug into the data port on the bottom of my iPod AND provide power as well as sound through the cars speakers, via the aux input.

I'm not a big DIY when it comes to cables and wiring in the car but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of another setup like this. Or if it would be fairly easy for a 3rd party professional radio installer to create this setup?

Any thoughts?

While doing some maintenance work on my '00 Boxster I started to talk to the tech about my iPod and how I have it connected in my car.

Currently I just have a Kensington FM transmitter (http://us.kensington.com/html/6402.html) that connects my iPod to my car speakers. He told me that my radio has an aux input on the back and with the right cable harness I could wire in the Kensington harness to the aux input. This would create a setup so that the new harness would still plug into the data port on the bottom of my iPod AND provide power as well as sound through the cars speakers, via the aux input.

I'm not a big DIY when it comes to cables and wiring in the car but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of another setup like this. Or if it would be fairly easy for a 3rd party professional radio installer to create this setup?

Any thoughts?

If your radio has an aux input, all you need is something like this:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=aip-rca

wire the red lead to switched 12V, black to ground, (tap off the cigarette lighter from behind the dash?) and the rca cables to the aux input (I don't know what form the aux input is - you may need to convert the RCA cable to whatever form that is).

To complete the installation, you may want a cradle to support the ipod so that you can control it while driving (though drive carefully!) A third party installer could set you up with this easily.

- Art

This Becker cable looks promising. All I need is audio out and power. I don't want to be able to control the iPod thru the radio just power it and hear the audio through the car's speakers so maybe this will work. The cable is a bit expensive though.

Thanks.

Edited by wilder212

If you have a CDR-220 you can order an Aux Jack cable from Becker of North America.

Part number BNA-1319.116. This cable plugs right into the back of your radio and into

the aux jack of your I-Pod.

Cost of mine was $29.36 delivered.

If you have a CDR-220 you can order an Aux Jack cable from Becker of North America.

Part number BNA-1319.116. This cable plugs right into the back of your radio and into

the aux jack of your I-Pod.

Cost of mine was $29.36 delivered.

You can do it for $2. Buy an cable that has the headset jack on one end and the RCA ends on the other.

Cut the RCA ends off and put some small electrical connectors on them.

Put the two grounds together and you will be left with 3 ends.

Attached is the back of your deck. Attach the 3 wires on the back there.

Turn on you AUX setting and away you go.

Can be done for free if you already have the cable.

post-16847-1212889925_thumb.jpg

Phone__or_Aux_1_audio_input_directions.pdf

This is not a hard DIY. It took me less than an hour once I had all the parts, and it was my first time taking the center console apart. Once you get the Becker AUX cable, you needs a PIE-RCA cable. Wire the power and ground to the telephone connector, and hook up the RCA cables. You will probably also need a ground loop isolation.

Do a search for more information.