Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I did a little search on the forum but still can't find a right answer.

My key fob is in pretty bad shape, I would like to replce it with a new one. After seaching the forum I know its key blade can be taken off and put it on the new remote.

Since my key fob works ok, but the plastic cover is in bad shape, I was thinking to purchase a new remote key fob off from ebay. Now the question is, is there a way to open up the outside cover of the key fob? (I would like to transparent the remote chip, battery, key blade over to the new remote fob)

is it a way to go? or I still need a dealer to reprogrammed the new remote?

I did a little search on the forum but still can't find a right answer.

My key fob is in pretty bad shape, I would like to replce it with a new one. After seaching the forum I know its key blade can be taken off and put it on the new remote.

Since my key fob works ok, but the plastic cover is in bad shape, I was thinking to purchase a new remote key fob off from ebay. Now the question is, is there a way to open up the outside cover of the key fob? (I would like to transparent the remote chip, battery, key blade over to the new remote fob)

is it a way to go? or I still need a dealer to reprogrammed the new remote?

On my key I can pry open the head of it, and take out the little disc with the guts, but I have never tried to take the blade off of it.

On my key I can pry open the head of it, and take out the little disc with the guts, but I have never tried to take the blade off of it.

can you give more detail or explain how you open it up? once you pry open the head of it, were you able to close it again? (if so, then I can transparent the ic chip to the new remote)

Thanks!

can you give more detail or explain how you open it up? once you pry open the head of it, were you able to close it again? (if so, then I can transparent the ic chip to the new remote)

Thanks!

It's a one-button key for a 1999 996. I just stuck my thumbnail in the crack and gently pried it open. The board is just held in with two clips.

Just be careful not to lose the rubber ring.

Sorry for the blurry picture. The camera on the iPhone is about the most worthless thing ever, and my real cameras are in the car.

post-30731-1214443173_thumb.jpg

thanks, but I was refering to Cayenne key fob.

I'm guessing it has a similar internal board, but with more buttons. They're all made to be opened to change the batteries, so why not open it up and find out?

• 2 weeks later...
thanks, but I was refering to Cayenne key fob.

I'm guessing it has a similar internal board, but with more buttons. They're all made to be opened to change the batteries, so why not open it up and find out?

Having a look at my fob I can see that opening the blade first allows easier removal of the battery cover. From there it doesn't really seem to have any easy way to open it up. It is probably held together using friction clips, basically a little lip that snaps in place when closed. May I suggest that you first locate the replacement fob and since yours is already in bad shape try prying with a very thin headed flat screwdriver or maybe even a watch case knife (very thin blade made for prying). With the battery cover off you can see what may be the leading edge of one of those clips where the red panic button section meets, and another place that looks more promising on the open channel where the blade lays when closed there's a small line up above the printed word "Germany". Once you get it apart you can put it back together (with the guts removed) and practice with it a couple of times before attempting the procedure on the new one to learn the best method and help avoid damage.

I would advise against prying anywhere near the green circuit board where the batter came out so you don't damage the works you're trying to save. If all else fails at least you've got a new undamaged fob you can have programmed and switch out your blade.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

It's a one-button key for a 1999 996. I just stuck my thumbnail in the crack and gently pried it open. The board is just held in with two clips.

Just be careful not to lose the rubber ring.

Sorry for the blurry picture. The camera on the iPhone is about the most worthless thing ever, and my real cameras are in the car.

For the key in the picture it isn't getting the key apart it is getting it back together. I read somewhere you have to put the remote in the top half of the fob (the part that has the buttons) and then put the two halfs back together. You would think you just put it in the bottom half, I tried that and the key didn't seal.

I guess I should ask this in the Boxster forum but since this is where I came to when I put Remote in the search.

I had a key that I thought was going bad and and it looked pretty ratty so I decided to just get a new one. My second key had the trunk button broken. When I got the new key I asked if I could have the old parts. They gave them to me. In the bag there was the circuit board, a spring a plug and the "pill" I just put the old board in the second key fob. The lights flashed but nothing happened. Do I need to change the circuit board and the pill to make it work?

I just did this. You almost have to desroy your key to take it apart. I bought a replacement on ebay for $45.00 and swapped out my key and the board. You just had to put a little super glue on the key to keep it together. The one I bought from ebay was already separated making my job really easy. Let me know if you want the name of the ebay supplier and I'll look it up.

Craig

Craig, Happy New Year

I would like the suppliers details

Anything left to take pictures of ?

Mike

I just did this. You almost have to desroy your key to take it apart. I bought a replacement on ebay for $45.00 and swapped out my key and the board. You just had to put a little super glue on the key to keep it together. The one I bought from ebay was already separated making my job really easy. Let me know if you want the name of the ebay supplier and I'll look it up.

Craig

Seller info on Key:

Ebay seller name (rovno70)

Item 3: 310102688392

The key case opened below the the key and included the area under the battery cover that surrounds the battery (the semi-circle area. If you carefully take a razor blade you can work it free. My key was in poor shape so I wasn't afraid to damage it. I will try to follow up with photos.

Craig