Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking at buying a 987

Besides the horsepower/transmission, is there a compelling reason to go for the S? Engine more responsive? Better Handling? Magic Porsche Fairy Dust?

I am looking at a 2006 base and a 2006 S...prices may be close but it is a matter of options :)

Steven

Bigger motor, bigger brakes, slightly tweaked spring rates (or so I've heard), an 'S' on the trunk lid following 'Bosxter'. Many options can be had on both. For instance the 6-speed is standard on the 'S'. My base was delivered with the same 6-speed, the main reason I got it. Great gas milage, nice ratios, just lacking the torque of the monster 3.2/3.4

There may be other things, but I am still for the most part a 'newbie' when it comes to Boxsters. If the price is about the same, I would go for the 'S'. However I am more than happy with my base 987.

A long-time multi-Boxster owner I know personally who has an S now says that his base Box was just as much fun and that the differences are minor enough that the money difference new is not worth it.

That said, so many people have asked me if mine is an S that I can't help but think that its a bigger status thing than anything else. As far as resale value goes it looks like the S might bring in an extra 5K or so.

I got the base Box because it is classed more competitively in SCCA autocrossing than the S. I also liked saving $9K. I am not a big HP guy and felt that an extra 50 HP would be largely wasted on me.

If money is no object than get the S

Just about 2 years in a base 2006 987, happy? oh yeah but if the prices were the same or even close I would have bought the S. Why?

All things just mentioned, engine, trans, HP, bigger brakers, stiffer suspension, S on the trunk, bigger EGO!... opps did I say that!?

Seriously, depends on what YOU like and want, read the reviews, the base car is just as fun as the S but gives some things away at the limits of handling and acceleration so if you are not a 10/10'ths kind of driver then you won't miss the differences.

Hey Steven with a nick name of "GearDriven", I am thinking that performance might be a consideration? B)

Al

Edited by Westcoaster

In my opinion, it's a status thing. I think Tool Pants said in a previous forum that he's owned both types and there wasn't any real difference in handling and performance. Go with whichever one you feel good about and makes you happy. (Subliminally tells you 911)

...engine, trans, HP, bigger brakers, stiffer suspension...

These are strong enough reasons, aren't they? What else is left on the car, anyway :P

For the ego and status, definetly a 911

Edited by gandrade1

It is a little known fact that only the Senior Porsche techs build and assemble the "S" version. Junior techs work on the base models for a few years before being promoted. Also, no "S's" are built on Mondays or Fridays, and never after or before a holiday.:)

I do not have a "Boxster S" badge on my trunk lid. I ordered the car without. My ego is fine. My right foot has the problem! :D

great quality control there!

much quicker/faster,awsome gear box,better braking,better handling,sounds better

Once U've driven a S, would have to admit that it is a totally different car even if U don'tl ike to,,,

Ah most important thing, no more getting smoked by S2000 or 350Z at the traffic light

great quality control there!

much quicker/faster,awsome gear box,better braking,better handling,sounds better

Once U've driven a S, would have to admit that it is a totally different car even if U don'tl ike to,,,

Ah most important thing, no more getting smoked by S2000 or 350Z at the traffic light

A base Boxster at 240-245HP should hold it's own against the 237HP of a S2000, only 20lbs separate the two in weight and the Boxster's have a definite torque advantage...

It is a little known fact that only the Senior Porsche techs build and assemble the "S" version. Junior techs work on the base models for a few years before being promoted. Also, no "S's" are built on Mondays or Fridays, and never after or before a holiday.:)

:D

Is this for real??? :o

Edited by gandrade1

Sucker :D

Gandrade1, also Carrara White Boxsters are given an extra 17 HP right out of the factory.

Gandrade1, also Carrara White Boxsters are given an extra 17 HP right out of the factory.

You know........I'm pretty sure he's right....... :lol:

To me it's more about fun in the twisties... I like a little less power because it means I can be on the throttle longer before going into reckless territory. I am performance oriented..but not enough that HP is what drives me...otherwise I would get a corvette.

Damm it!!! :lightbulb:

Now I see why that guy was always passing me right after the turns! And I thought I needed to improve my line! :jump:

You guys got me with this one!

Besides the horsepower/transmission, is there a compelling reason to go for the S? Engine more responsive? Better Handling? Magic Porsche Fairy Dust?

I am looking at a 2006 base and a 2006 S...prices may be close but it is a matter of options :)

Steven

The only thing that you'd likely appreciate more about an S in daily driving is the torque curve that kicks in at lower RPM. It will feel a little more powerful. The other stuff (trans, brakes, suspension, etc.) are going to be better, but aren't going to add anything for you unless you're pushing the car quite a bit. I drive a 2000 base because when I bought it 4 years ago I had a target price range and a S missed by about $5k (would have had to buy a 1999 if I wanted an S and I didn't want to do that). I chose to go with the base in order to get the latest model year with the lowest miles under my budget. If I were buying today I would tend toward an S just for that torque but I recently passed up a deal on my friend's 2000 S (pretty similar to mine in most other ways) because I like my car too much to sell it and I know what's already been replaced for maintenance. It's that close of a call for me.

That said, a 2006 base has enough of a power advantage over my 2000 base to make it a pretty nice ride. If you like the base better for some reason (options on the car, whatever) you won't regret buying it.

One other thing to consider: The stereo. If you get the base you might find that it disappoints and you'll end up putting $1k into that eventually. The Bose stereo in the S with the sound bar on the back deck (especially if this is the model year they added the sub woofer in the bar) if pretty good and can be left as-is. Just one of those things you notince while living with a convertible...

Edited by CA_Boxster