Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight Question

I swapped out clears for orange headlights w/o a problem, less than 1/2 hour. There is an electrical box strapped to the rear of the orange lights. The lights were yellowish, not blue as are the clears. I don't know what the boxes are for. Halogen, Litronic or what. Is it worth pursuing as I don't know what I'm getting into. I don't do much night driving, mostly freeway and city streets.

As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

• Admin

Litronics will have a lens (see image below). Halogen look like conventional headlights.

If they are Litronics then you would need to add the control box (for each headlight) that move the high and low beam together for high beam performance. The lights will work fine without doing that - just that the high beams will be halogen only.

post-1-1221074311_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have litronics on my recently purchased 01 996 C2 that came as an original option on the car and on low beam they work fine but when I switch to high beams I only get the halogen. If I manually push the light lever forward and hold it as if to flash to high beam I get boith halogen and litronic. Is this a problem with my car or am I just a newbie who needs to read more?

• Admin
I have litronics on my recently purchased 01 996 C2 that came as an original option on the car and on low beam they work fine but when I switch to high beams I only get the halogen. If I manually push the light lever forward and hold it as if to flash to high beam I get boith halogen and litronic. Is this a problem with my car or am I just a newbie who needs to read more?

:welcome:

Whomever upgraded the car to Litronics did not add in the control module for each headlight that combines both the Halogen high beam and the Xenon low beam - when the high beams are on.

These come in the upgrade kit but some folks are too lazy to wire them up. It takes maybe one hour more to add in the control modules.

• 2 weeks later...
Thx Loren. If I look at the option list under the hood it lists Litronic headlights as coming from the factory. Maybe my control unit has failed?

There is one control unit for each headlight.

Factory option is M601.

Loren,

What control unit is this? Where are they located at? It is separate from the ballast I am assuming, but I have been all through my headlamp assy and didn't see anything else that looks like a control unit.

I'm asking because me driver headlamp and highbeam (Litronic on 01 996TT) is working intermittently with the "flicker" on the low beam. Today I had the low beam working and hit the high beam to see what it would do and the low went out and the high never lit.

Thanks, Dan.

• Admin
Thx Loren. If I look at the option list under the hood it lists Litronic headlights as coming from the factory. Maybe my control unit has failed?

There is one control unit for each headlight.

Factory option is M601.

Loren,

What control unit is this? Where are they located at? It is separate from the ballast I am assuming, but I have been all through my headlamp assy and didn't see anything else that looks like a control unit.

I'm asking because me driver headlamp and highbeam (Litronic on 01 996TT) is working intermittently with the "flicker" on the low beam. Today I had the low beam working and hit the high beam to see what it would do and the low went out and the high never lit.

Thanks, Dan.

As I said my reply to your PM - -- Litronic and Bi-Xenon are different in how they work.

Your car is an 01 996TT and it has Bi_Xenon. That means one bulb and mask that controls what part of the beam is used for low beam vs. high beam.

The control unit on Bi-Xenon is attached to the headlight assembly (item 16).

post-1-1259031920_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

This Boxster picture has the control unit for litronics. Factory installed. You can tell it is factory installed because the control unit is mounted with a metal bracket. The control unit when you do the retrofit has velcro to mount it.

The low beam is xenon and the high beam is halogen. When you tun on the high beams both low and high go on. The low beam also rotates up a few degrees to fill in with the high beam, if the control unit has been installed.

post-4-1259048870_thumb.jpg