Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 S GT3 Bumper

It is about time, I will give my 986S a new GT3 lower balance look,,,

I'm wondering if any of U fellas has done the front bumper mod with this GT3 kit?

Any input would be appreciated.

post-23680-1221422492.jpg

What do you think of this one?

post-6627-1221434809_thumb.jpg

It's one of my favorites, although it could be a little lower!

Regards, Maurice.

Think that's Voxsters over on the PPBB. I don't like the wheels personally. First bumper is better IMO as the gap style only came out in the 987 generation

I'm wondering if any of U fellas has done the front bumper mod with this GT3 kit?

Regards, Maurice.

It's Ok, Maurice

but it could be a lot lower?

It's been tough to decide between these 3,,,

GT3

post-23680-1222054940_thumb.jpg

TechArt

post-23680-1222054958.jpg

997-2 TT

post-23680-1222054971.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by juniinc

I've seen the GT3 front bumper in person on a Boxster. I think it looks great in photos, but in person I didn't like it. It seemed too much and really stuck out from the car. I've seen the TechArt front bumper on a 996 and it was just stunning. It's a bit radical though, so the rest of your car/body kit should match that style for a complete look.

Just my opinion... I'd get the TechArt for looks. But you really should consider whether the bumper is polyurethane or fiberglass. With as low as my car is, a fiberglass front would not last very long before getting cracked. That's why I put a polyurethane MK1 GT3 bumper on my car (not the same as the 997 GT3 bumper you're looking at). It gets scratched up underneath when I bottom out, but still looks good from the top and hasn't cracked/broken.

Kirk

I've seen the GT3 front bumper in person on a Boxster. I think it looks great in photos, but in person I didn't like it. It seemed too much and really stuck out from the car. I've seen the TechArt front bumper on a 996 and it was just stunning. It's a bit radical though, so the rest of your car/body kit should match that style for a complete look.

Just my opinion... I'd get the TechArt for looks. But you really should consider whether the bumper is polyurethane or fiberglass. With as low as my car is, a fiberglass front would not last very long before getting cracked. That's why I put a polyurethane MK1 GT3 bumper on my car (not the same as the 997 GT3 bumper you're looking at). It gets scratched up underneath when I bottom out, but still looks good from the top and hasn't cracked/broken.

Kirk

Hmm... I'm looking for a new bumper and side skirts myself, but can't seem to find anything that's sharp and doesn't cost in excess of $6000. My 2000 Boxster S still has stock front bumper, no side skirts etc. If I replace the front bumper, I assume I really need to get the side skirts and can I do without a rear bumper? or Do I have to replace that as well... just wondering what each of these options cost.

It's Ok, Maurice

but it could be a lot lower?

It's been tough to decide between these 3,,,

GT3

post-23680-1222054940_thumb.jpg

TechArt

post-23680-1222054958.jpg

997-2 TT

post-23680-1222054971.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

What wheels are those on the bottom picture?

Hmm... I'm looking for a new bumper and side skirts myself, but can't seem to find anything that's sharp and doesn't cost in excess of $6000. My 2000 Boxster S still has stock front bumper, no side skirts etc. If I replace the front bumper, I assume I really need to get the side skirts and can I do without a rear bumper? or Do I have to replace that as well... just wondering what each of these options cost.

It just depends on how radical you go. The 997 GT3 and TechArt bumpers are pretty radical and add a very racey look to the car. They'll look a little strange without side skirts. But a less radical OEM style bumper would look fine without side skirts. There's a guy in the classifieds now selling a yellow 996 front bumper VERY cheap. That's a little upgrade from a stock 986 bumper that would not need side skirts. I've also seen someone recently selling a complete Boxster aero kit pretty cheap.

You don't need to spend $6,000 looking for good quality body parts. Just be patient, know what you want, and keep your eyes open for a good deal. Then when you see it, jump on it right away! I got my front GT3 bumper for $400 with a new lower lip spoiler. I got my Gemballa rear bumper for $700. My Gemballa side skirts were pricey though at $1,750, but I just could not find a deal on those. Throw in another $1,500 for painting and yeah I'm out about $4,500 with total costs, but I could have spent well over $8,000 for the same parts with standard pricing.

What wheels are those on the bottom picture?

Those are 19" Work VS-KF, and they do belong to "The Voxster" over on PPBB.

Another photo:

post-6627-1222145782_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

19" Yikes, I thought 19" wheels were not recommended on the Boxster S, that 18" were really the largest you're supossed to go.

nice ride! Bristol, I like what U've done to your car.

Man those Gemballa side skirts & rear bumper are way too TIGHT!

1 of the finest silver 986s I've seen around. But only 700 for the rear bumper?

It just depends on how radical you go. The 997 GT3 and TechArt bumpers are pretty radical and add a very racey look to the car. They'll look a little strange without side skirts. But a less radical OEM style bumper would look fine without side skirts. There's a guy in the classifieds now selling a yellow 996 front bumper VERY cheap. That's a little upgrade from a stock 986 bumper that would not need side skirts. I've also seen someone recently selling a complete Boxster aero kit pretty cheap.

You don't need to spend $6,000 looking for good quality body parts. Just be patient, know what you want, and keep your eyes open for a good deal. Then when you see it, jump on it right away! I got my front GT3 bumper for $400 with a new lower lip spoiler. I got my Gemballa rear bumper for $700. My Gemballa side skirts were pricey though at $1,750, but I just could not find a deal on those. Throw in another $1,500 for painting and yeah I'm out about $4,500 with total costs, but I could have spent well over $8,000 for the same parts with standard pricing.

nice ride! Bristol, I like what U've done to your car.

Man those Gemballa side skirts & rear bumper are way too TIGHT!

1 of the finest silver 986s I've seen around. But only 700 for the rear bumper?

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliments.

Yes, $700 for the rear bumper... which retails for $6,500. I also got the $2,000 exhaust thrown in for free. It's all about finding the right kind of deal. Here's a $10,000 carbon fiber front bumper AND carbon/kevlar fenders for $600:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automot...-front-end.html

Mine was a similar deal, although not so bad. The Gemballa bumper was damaged in an accident. I did all of the fiberglass repair and bondo work myself and made it as good as new, if not even better and stronger. :P

Kirk