Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

squealing noise, white smoke, and leak. HELP!

hi guys, i need major help here. i have searched the forum for similar problem but i have only found bits and pieces of similar problems but not exact.

my problem is i got a squealing noise from the engine started few weeks back. but it only lasts for a few minutes after a cold start in the morning. yesterday, the car started from cold and there was no noise. After approx 15 min of driving (car up to normal operating temp 180-190) the squealing starts barely noticeable at first. It seems to start when at constant load or decreasing throttle and application of throttle will cause noise to stop. If I continue driving the squeal intensity increases until it is always there regardless of throttle position (it still changes in pitch and intensity with engine load/rpm just doesn't stop).

The squeal is present when moving and when stopped at idle. The car still runs well with no noticeable loss of power even when noise is present. Car idle is good, oil and coolant levels normal, and no fault lights are on. i am not much of a car guy but my first impression is that something is grinding and needing some kind of fluid. i figure this grinding/squealing sound is not good so i went home as fast as i can. after i got home, i noticed a burned smell and white smoke comes out of the right (passenger) side vent. 15 to 20 minutes lastr, there was a big puddle of watery stuff under the car. i looked under the car, the leak is coming out of the mid section towards the back of the car. i am not sure what kind of fluid exactly. it is very thin, almost like water, yet it also has a little grease (lubricant) to it.

i am afraid to even try to start it and planning on having it towed to the shop tomorrow. but i'll appreciate anyone can give me some idea of what i am dealing with.

Car is a 2000 S with 96k miles. please HELP!!

Check out http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...l=oil+separator

Similar problem happened to me not long ago on my 2000 Boxster with 52K miles. Stealer told me oil separator failed and oil filler hose was cracked. Cost $800 to repair. They also found oil leaking from BOTH camshaft covers and oil pan. Total of all repairs was more than $2500!!!! But after reading the above posts I think I was royally robbed.

hi guys, i need major help here. i have searched the forum for similar problem but i have only found bits and pieces of similar problems but not exact.

my problem is i got a squealing noise from the engine started few weeks back. but it only lasts for a few minutes after a cold start in the morning. yesterday, the car started from cold and there was no noise. After approx 15 min of driving (car up to normal operating temp 180-190) the squealing starts barely noticeable at first. It seems to start when at constant load or decreasing throttle and application of throttle will cause noise to stop. If I continue driving the squeal intensity increases until it is always there regardless of throttle position (it still changes in pitch and intensity with engine load/rpm just doesn't stop).

The squeal is present when moving and when stopped at idle. The car still runs well with no noticeable loss of power even when noise is present. Car idle is good, oil and coolant levels normal, and no fault lights are on. i am not much of a car guy but my first impression is that something is grinding and needing some kind of fluid. i figure this grinding/squealing sound is not good so i went home as fast as i can. after i got home, i noticed a burned smell and white smoke comes out of the right (passenger) side vent. 15 to 20 minutes lastr, there was a big puddle of watery stuff under the car. i looked under the car, the leak is coming out of the mid section towards the back of the car. i am not sure what kind of fluid exactly. it is very thin, almost like water, yet it also has a little grease (lubricant) to it.

i am afraid to even try to start it and planning on having it towed to the shop tomorrow. but i'll appreciate anyone can give me some idea of what i am dealing with.

Car is a 2000 S with 96k miles. please HELP!!

hey thanks for your quick response. i am a little puzzled because my oil level hasn't changed since the leak from yesterday. but the amount of the fluid that leaked on my garage floor was pretty significant. i just checked every reservoir in the car that i can see and every one of them is at the proper level. what gives?

It was same with me -- there was no noticeable loss of oil. Frankly I had driven almost 12 months without having had to add any oil (though I only drive the car maybe 6-7K per year) before this happened. I am no expert on these things -- wish I was more of one but just don't have time -- I can only report on my personal experiences and hope you learn something from it! :)

hey thanks for your quick response. i am a little puzzled because my oil level hasn't changed since the leak from yesterday. but the amount of the fluid that leaked on my garage floor was pretty significant. i just checked every reservoir in the car that i can see and every one of them is at the proper level. what gives?

It was same with me -- there was no noticeable loss of oil. Frankly I had driven almost 12 months without having had to add any oil (though I only drive the car maybe 6-7K per year) before this happened. I am no expert on these things -- wish I was more of one but just don't have time -- I can only report on my personal experiences and hope you learn something from it! :)

i got my car back from the shop today. the problem was a leaky water pump and a failed auxiliary fan. the total cost was $1,700 parts and labor. $1,100 was for the water pump and $600 for the fan and he blower. apparently you can't get just the fan replaced. you have to replace the whole assembly which is the fan and the blower. does this sound right for what was replaced and the price?

i got my car back from the shop today. the problem was a leaky water pump and a failed auxiliary fan. the total cost was $1,700 parts and labor. $1,100 was for the water pump and $600 for the fan and he blower. apparently you can't get just the fan replaced. you have to replace the whole assembly which is the fan and the blower. does this sound right for what was replaced and the price?

The following information is what I gathered about 6 months ago when I was investigating the possibility of having to replace my blower motor:

Cost of replacement Heater Blower Motor for 986 Boxster at dealer (part #996-624-107-01-M262; OEM part #1J1 819 021 A): $317.50 (Note: current MSRP $464.12).

Cost of same replacement Heater Blower Motor for Volkswagen Jetta Wagon 2.8 at VW dealer (part #VAG-15418-M177; OEM part #1J1 819 021 C): $121.

I have compared the photos at Pelican Parts with the actual blower motor from my Boxster and they appear to be exactly the same. (Maybe Tool Pants has some of those special photos that he seems to have an endless supply of).

BTW, the Boxster part has a prominent "VW" logo on it.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir