Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake bleed question

I bled my brakes tonight, switched from Super Blue to Castrol SRF.

Suctioned out the reservoir and filled with castrol, then used the Power bleeder.

The strange thing was that when I went to drain the lines starting at the right rear caliper, I got clear SRF not blue first. The other three calipers bled blue then clear. Any reason for no ATE super blue in the right rear?, seems odd.

• Admin

Two things come to mind...

1. Castrol SRF is synthetic and doesn't mix well so it is good you took out as much of the old as possible. But it would surprise me if you saw more blue later (like from the ABS).

2. What order did you bleed in? For Carrera's it's: Right rear, Left rear, Right front, Left front. Isn't the TT the same?

I bled them all, the last flush was from the dealer. The thought did cross my mine that it wasn't purged, and it was still the factory stuff, not the ATE that they put in.

May be time to do more bleeding.

Thanks

Loren

I bled my brakes last week. Went from the blue to the gold colored ATE. Noted that there is a seperate section of the brake fluid reservoir in the right (passenger side) rear part of the fluid reservoir that doesn't drain when i siphoned the main reservoir of the blue fluid. There is a seperate brake fluid line that goes from this portion of the tank to a different apparatus below the master cylinder (?part of the ABS or PSM system?) Anyway, despite completely draining and replacing the blue fluid from the main reservoir, blue fluid remained in the seperate part of the reservoir that I couldn't figure how to siphon and replace. After several days of driving, my fluid is all green (mixture of new gold and old blue ATE fluid.) Not sure just how dry my fluid is now given the mixture of old wet with new dry. Any body know how to flush out the right rear part of the brake fluid reservoir?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Remember that the reservoir holds fluid for the clutch and brakes. I wondered what would happen if the clutch line broke and you pumped all the fluid out of the reservoir - no brakes! I was told the reservoir has separate chambers for this reason. If you bled your clutch you would have been able to replace the fluid in that chamber. Jeff

Guest Guest

Now that I think of it, when the tech at the dealership was bleeding the brakes, he didn't pull wheels, they just bled the outside caliper spouts.

I thought the clutch fluid was in the engine area.

• Admin

From Racershopper.com...

"Castrol SRF is NOT to be mixed with any other type of fluid!

Whenever you add fresh fluid to your existing system (never mix fluids of different DOT classifications), it immediately becomes contaminated, lowering the boiling point of the new fluid."

• 2 weeks later...
Question on bleeding with SRF....

I open a new can, bleed the brakes, top it off... now what.  I have 3/4 of a $65 can of brake fluid left.  Is it garbage?  How long will it keep "re-sealed" ?

The fluid capacity is .67 quarts (.64 liters)

How did you wind up only using .25 liters?

No, I meant I opened a can and resealed it. I used the contents of the can each time I bled the brakes and never had a problem. I bled after every 6 track days and did a complete flush at the beginning of the season and about half way through. This was for about 45 track days last year.

Karl