Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Turbo Cluster for A Cayenne S Warranty?

Hey Gang.....I have seen the many posts regarding installing a full color turbo cluster into a Cayenne S. I just bought one from a 2004 turbo for my 2004 S.

I think I can handle the install and programming from reading other posts....my question....I have a 32000 mile CPO vehicle with warranty till Nov 2010 what consequences will I have when I install? My experience with most dealers is- they look for ANY way to not honor warranty- am I just asking for trouble especially since the mileage will change?? THANKS!

pay them to fit it

Hey Gang.....I have seen the many posts regarding installing a full color turbo cluster into a Cayenne S. I just bought one from a 2004 turbo for my 2004 S.

I think I can handle the install and programming from reading other posts....my question....I have a 32000 mile CPO vehicle with warranty till Nov 2010 what consequences will I have when I install? My experience with most dealers is- they look for ANY way to not honor warranty- am I just asking for trouble especially since the mileage will change?? THANKS!

Is it possible for the dealer to reset or set the mileage? I am in the same boat. I want to go with the turbo dash but the unit i'm looking at has another 20K on the odometer. I would think that at least one of these units has gone bad at some point

and had to be replaced. That being the case, it would make sense that they can adjust it. Without that option, i just cant see how they can do it without any liability. Speaking of which, If they could set it, I would bet they would only do it for a unit they sold. Does anyone know if the dealer has this ability?

pay them to fit it

I dont want to get stuck with the dealer having an excuse to NOT honor the warranty since it will appear that the mileage was tampered with and the cluster will obviously be changed. I also wonder if the actual mileage may be tracked somewhere else in the car.

I spoke to the dealer today and here is the way it works. If you buy a used cluster or a new cluster from anyone else, there is a HIGH probability (99.9999%) that YOUR dealer wont touch it. The .00001% that can get it done

are typically very good repeat customers at the same dealer. Keep in mind, this is what the dealers telling me and not my guess. If you buy the cluster from the dealer, they will R&R it and will set the new clusters odometer

to your mileage - They also will warranty it. I reconfirmed and they said - YES that is doable. So now the question is, How much? Suncoast is emailing me the part costs and the options (without labor). I will share them with the board when they arrive.

• Admin
I spoke to the dealer today and here is the way it works. If you buy a used cluster or a new cluster from anyone else, there is a HIGH probability (99.9999%) that YOUR dealer wont touch it. The .00001% that can get it done

are typically very good repeat customers at the same dealer. Keep in mind, this is what the dealers telling me and not my guess. If you buy the cluster from the dealer, they will R&R it and will set the new clusters odometer

to your mileage - They also will warranty it. I reconfirmed and they said - YES that is doable. So now the question is, How much? Suncoast is emailing me the part costs and the options (without labor). I will share them with the board when they arrive.

Sorry, but that is BS.

If it is a Porsche part and you provide proof of purchase - then they have to warranty it. They don't have to like it - but they do have to warranty it. If they don't contact PCNA.

Sorry, but that is BS.

If it is a Porsche part and you provide proof of purchase - then they have to warranty it. They don't have to like it - but they do have to warranty it. If they don't contact PCNA.

Loren-

THANKS! I appreciate the input. I was more concerned if anything else needed warranty repair since its a CPO- would the replaced cluster warrant the dealer to not honor warranty since the mileage may be off or will that not matter if mileage is registered in the DME?

Will that still apply if I install the cluster myself?

Do you suggest I pay the dealer to install for better "customer relations" besides they may also change the mileage to match actual?

I feel I can install it myself after reading the post here on the forum.

THANKS!

Sorry, but that is BS.

Replacing yourself - Not that difficult. Getting the dealer to set the mileage after you do it - that's a different story. My suggestion:

Call your local d and speak to the service manager. Tell them you hate the dash because you can't read the display that well ( I always say its the wife's issue - gets me instant sympathy points).

Tell them that you are interested in the turbo dash as you have seen it and its much better for you during the day (day viewing).

Ask them for an install price and at this time ask about the mileage setting. After they give it to you, (if the labor is huge) ask if you can just buy the part, put it in yourself

and have them handle the mileage setting. The economy is in the toilet and dealer traffic is off by 25% ( I know, I just bought my cayenne and they all said the same thing).

Some folks might prefer a more direct approach - I can only say if you local does not want to do it, then that's that. I had my dealer tell me that would NOT install my new

OEM wood steering wheel. First question "Where did you get it" - Holy #@(#*@ . I felt like saying " Hey buddy, who's driving the Porsche here?".

Also, I found out that the CPO program is NOT a porsche program. Its an aftermarket company that handles it. This info came from 2 dealers as I am trying to purchase one

now and they both scratched their heads when I asked for the extended Porsche warranty. This being the case, you can probably call them direct and ask about modifications.

If I find out more here, i will post it. If I'm wrong, someone correct my bad info.

Also, we all are a little sensitive about our relationship with our local dealer. We don't want to screw up and then travel further out because the service manager is not our buddy.

I was in retail repair for 10 years and believe me, we kept a black list for folks who we deemed to be "problematic".

To get around this I have called other dealers that are no where near me and picked their brains as if I am a local. Saves a lot of headaches. I'm in North Jersey and my infiniti

dealer outclasses my porsche dealer by a longshot. They are more flexible and always willing to help you mod and what have you.

Hope this all helps.

• Admin

If you put in a used cluster with more than 52 miles on it then only a certified speedometer shop can change it - dealers or shops with PST or PIWS can not. The Porsche software won't allow that.

Speedometer shops can and will change it - a friend was quoted $150 for the process.

As far as your warranty - they won't warranty a used cluster or anything you break putting it in. But they still have to warranty the rest of the car.

Loren

Thanks that answers my question exactly. If the mileage does end up being different how do you suppose my dealer will handle that?

More specifically...

If I drive the car in will they just go by whats on the odometer OR will they refer to the mileage that comes up on their computer? I didn't expect them to warranty the changed cluster I was more concerned with the rest of the car- which reading your reply I see they will have to.

What exactly is a speedometer shop? Excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure how to look for one.

THANKS MUCH!

If you put in a used cluster with more than 52 miles on it then only a certified speedometer shop can change it - dealers or shops with PST or PIWS can not. The Porsche software won't allow that.

Speedometer shops can and will change it - a friend was quoted $150 for the process.

As far as your warranty - they won't warranty a used cluster or anything you break putting it in. But they still have to warranty the rest of the car.

Edited by markparenti

As RFM said above the mileage is also in the DME - so they will go by that.

The one I know of on the West Coast here is Palo Alto Speedometer. They offer certified repair and speedometer corrections.

Great info guys thank you. Loren, do you know any shops in New York area?

DONE...well almost...I followed the instructions I found here and the swap worked PERFECT. Old cluster approx 34k miles new 22K and I found a shop to recalibrate the odometer on the new cluster for $250. I am getting the air suspension error message which I expected because my S does NOT have air suspension and the turbo cluster is naturally programmed for air suspension and possibly tire pressure sensors. I am going to dealer in AM for reprogram hopefully while I wait and not too much $$$

THANKS ALL! will post pix this week.....

Edited by markparenti

DONE...well almost...I followed the instructions I found here and the swap worked PERFECT. Old cluster approx 34k miles new 22K and I found a shop to recalibrate the odometer on the new cluster for $250. I am getting the air suspension error message which I expected because my S does NOT have air suspension and the turbo cluster is naturally programmed for air suspension and possibly tire pressure sensors. I am going to dealer in AM for reprogram hopefully while I wait and not too much $$$

THANKS ALL! will post pix this week.....

Congrats! This is going to be my next upgrade. On the right sideof the Turbo cluster there is a "bar" gauge. Can you please tell me what is that indicating on the Cayenne S?

Is it non functional because the Cayenne S has an atmospheric engine?

Thanks

Loren and gang..no luck at all at dealer. Piwis computer was used as I watched the tech..could not remove the air suspension warning message..even entered my vin tech noted that may have been possible before piwis was updated?? Very disappointed....can anyone help? Tech was receptive to more if I had specific instructions.....thanks! Speedo works temp works time trans etc but can't get rid of the warning air suspension....aggh

Edited by markparenti

• Admin

I hate to say this but what may need to be done is to put the cluster in a TT program the options like you want - then put it in your car.

When we put a Carrera cluster in a Boxster we have to program the Boxster as a Carrera - make all the option changes then program back to Boxster. When i have done this it usually takes about 1 hour do the conversion.

Loren-

please excuse my ignorance but what is a TT program??

I hate to say this but what may need to be done is to put the cluster in a TT program the options like you want - then put it in your car.

When we put a Carrera cluster in a Boxster we have to program the Boxster as a Carrera - make all the option changes then program back to Boxster. When i have done this it usually takes about 1 hour do the conversion.

• Admin

By TT I mean Cayenne Turbo.

On Boxsters you can trick the DME and system into thinking it is a Carrera by programming the DME as a Carrera. Then the Carrera cluster can be programmed (while it is on a Boxster). When you are done programming the (Carrera) cluster you re-program the DME as a Boxster.

Loren-

Do I understand you correct in that the DME reprogram is done by the PIWIS computer? reprogram as a turbo and then turn off the air suspension or remove it or delete it or? Then back to CS ? Thanks so much!

He could try what I suggested - reprogram (DME) as a Turbo then reprogram back to CS.
Edited by markparenti

By TT I mean Cayenne Turbo.

On Boxsters you can trick the DME and system into thinking it is a Carrera by programming the DME as a Carrera. Then the Carrera cluster can be programmed (while it is on a Boxster). When you are done programming the (Carrera) cluster you re-program the DME as a Boxster.

Sorry folks, this is all BS. Rule of thumb with a warranty is that the car has to fulfil certain guidelines. One of those guidelines is that the car must be in 100% condition. IE, original as it was manufactured. This means that even if the Porsche dealer sold you the new part, the warranty on the vehicle will be affected as the cluster is not originally supposed to be in the car, it was not designed to operate with that model. One has to bear in mind the diffecrnt voltages and apage draws on an lcd screen as opposed to the normal screen. There is also the warning configuration and gauge calibration to be taken into account. None of this wil be acurate without changing the sensors aswell...The dealer however will only offer a spare part warranty on the cluster if it is purchsed from them but to order it, you need to provide them with a vin number and proof of ownership. again if the cluster is not fitted to the intended vehicle, they do not have to honor the spare part warranty. If you want to do it right and keep the warranty.... buy a turbo vehicle...