Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Battery life

Hi,

I have had my 2006 Boxster S manual since January. Bought it 'Porsche approved'. Car has just under 40,000kms on the clock.

Last week the battery died - it was the original factory battery.

My question; is 2 years/40,000kms about normal for a battery in this car?

For the last four months I have only been driving it on weekends, so I am wondering whether I need a trickle charger.

Thanks, Dave

Hi,

I have had my 2006 Boxster S manual since January. Bought it 'Porsche approved'. Car has just under 40,000kms on the clock.

For the last four months I have only been driving it on weekends, so I am wondering whether I need a trickle charger.

Thanks, Dave

OEM batteries are notoriously weak. I have an 05 Carrera and still on the original battery with only 7500 miles. The heat here in Florida is the main culprit for battery death and I'm looking to do a pre-emptive battery change next week. Your usage is fine if you drive the car for 15 minutes to "charge" the battery, assuming your charging system is working normally. I have an old 80's "930 slantnose" that I drive once weekly and start it midweek and the battery has lasted 5 years!!!

No need for trickle charge

Edited by slant83

• Moderators

I would go with a trickle charger, the difference in electronic equipment which consume current with the car placed indoors and closed, between a 930 and 987 is too big to take as a standard. Battery's have a two years warranty here, perhaps you have still warranty.

Hi,

Thanks, Dave

Dave:

If the car is in a safe place, you will run the battery down less if you do not lock the car and arm the alarm.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi,

Thanks, Dave

Dave:

If the car is in a safe place, you will run the battery down less if you do not lock the car and arm the alarm.

Regards, Maurice.

If you lock the car you arm the alarm and it will go into "sleep" mode, which actually saves the battery from the normal current draw that you have when it is unlocked. And be sure to take the key away from the area around the car.

Thanks all for your responses; FYI, below is the response I got from the dealership ( decent guys, always willing to help)....

"The battery in your car will be just over three years old if it is the original one.It is not unusual to replace a battery after three years,however any less than three years I think would be a little disappointing.Mostly the battery wont last much beyond four years.I dont think there is any need for a trickle charger given your pattern of use."

I'm in two minds about the trickle charger...... might get a local price on it just for the sake of keeping the new battery in pristine condition

I have a 987 S 2004 Sept build date with original MOLL battery from Porsche. The car is kept locked and alarmed on a trickle charger (CTEK 3600 identical to Porsche OEM). Car driven weekends and holidays in the main. Battery is the higher capacity 80 Ah unit. Lead acid batteries tend to sulphate if not kept charged up.

I believe my '05 has the original battery. It has been driven daily for its whole life. I do have an Optima standing by waiting for it's turn in the car. I'm debating wether or not to let the original die first or replace it anyway.

My dad has gotten 15+ years out of a wet-cell battery. 2-4 years seems a bit short to me. 5-7 seems reasonable to me.

+1 for a battery tender

OK... so it seems that the overwhelming vote is in favour of the battery trickle charger/conditioner.... the local dealer has them in stock.

Now for the next question..... when it is plugged in to the cigarette lighter can you run the cord under the seal with the door closed or do you have to leave the window down a crack and run it out the window?

My preference would be to leave the car locked, alarmed with windows up.... we have some big hairy spiders in Australia which scare the cr@p out of you if the crawl out from the dash while you are driving along

post-29311-1226468162.jpg

The charger sits outside of the car with the thinner walled cable routed out via the drivers door at the bottom. There doesnt seem to be any adverse effect on the seal routing the thinner part of the cable out via the door. I've had one of these units on my 987S for over 2 years now and often the car is left up to a month without being driven , but locked in the garage, with the alarm set and charger running.

I know the 986 had a tiny cutout at the bottom of the passenger door seal, so you could run a cord out the door without crimping anything. I haven't checked the 987, but I bet there's a cutout for this... and if there isn't, I doubt there'd be an issue anyway.

I know the 986 had a tiny cutout at the bottom of the passenger door seal, so you could run a cord out the door without crimping anything. I haven't checked the 987, but I bet there's a cutout for this... and if there isn't, I doubt there'd be an issue anyway.

This is true. The 986 has the cut-out. The 987 does NOT. I close the door on mine, and keep the car locked & alarmed. All is good.