Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

IMS M96 possible fix

Just finished reading the December issue of Excellence. In this issue the M96 engine was discussed as it realates to known failures.

L&N Engineeering seemed to have developed a fix for the IMS failures on these engines. The fix is a new bearing carrier, O rings, larger shaft and nut. Has anyone else read this article. Very informative. Was wondering if these parts are obtainable and can be used without major engine tear down on the 99 thru 01 M96. Would be nice to do the update as a precautionary measure.

If you haven't read the article, I recommend it!

You have to open the engine completely to change the shaft, the actual factory rebuild engines have already the approx. same update.

The fix I am talking about is not a full shaft change but a bearing a carrier, o ring seals and nut. According to the article the older M96's had to have the case split to change out the bearing. From my understanding it looks like the IMS bearing is acccessible with the trans and flywheel removed.

You have to open the engine completely to change the shaft, the actual factory rebuild engines have already the approx. same update.

The thrust of the contention of the trio of rebuilders (Raby, Hoffman & Navarro) is that the factory's solutions when rebuilding the engines are woefully inadequate and that their own solutions are guaranteed not to fail.

At least that is what they are working to achieve.

It's sad that it appears that Porsche has no interest in continuing to support and improve the fixes for these engines, but Porsche must have calculated that there are more profitable avenues to follow. Whether Porsche has accurately assessed the eventual impact of the reports of these engine failures on its marque as they continue to occur remains to be seen.

I, for one, am grateful that Raby, Hoffman & Navarro have concluded that this will be a financially rewarding niche for them to fill. Where would any Boxster or 911 owner be without their efforts if and when his engine fails?

I am also encouraged by the fact that the rebuilders intend to support local shops that are interested in implementing their solutions.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

I was refering to the model year 99 to 2001. According to the article the 99 to 01 have a larger single bearing race which is accessible thru the IMS cover. The article also says that the ealier double bearing was not accessible. Of which i heard as you have not accessible. This is why I brought it up since there really seems not to be a clear understanding. I have a note into L&N about this.

• Moderators

Kevin

The bearing is accessible on all models M96 ( they are pressed in the hollow shaft ) but not retractable on the older ones without messing up the engine, the newer ones with a blocking spring clip visible looks practicable but both timing chains have to be released and the camshafts locked, also there is always a chance to destroy the oil pump, the shaft is a semi "floating" type hold by the oil pump drive in the front and hold by the bolt in the rear bearing on the rear of the engine, with two timing chains and one drive chain from the crankshaft around the shaft. If there will something happen who disturbs the balance, it's over. I will speak the person who take the risk and give two years warranty on the engine with the approach the article mentioned, writhing articles and build engines are two different worlds IMHO.

Does anyone have reliable figures as to the percentage of IMS (and RMS) failures to total 99-01 cars manufactured? I understand that the total is high compared to others but are failures virtually guaranteed? I also understand that RMS failures are less likely in Tip equipped models.

Anecdotally, I bought a 99 996 on a $26K whim. No PPI, no nada except a 1/2 hour drive. I have had absolutely no issues. Luck of the draw, perhaps.

Edited by bolobar

RFM - Thanks, but he article actually quoted L&N Enginering who is a reputable Porsche parts and rebuild shop. Along with L&N there were two other Porsche engineering firms in the aftermarket design of parts and M96 rebuild. The article also provided info on internal oiling, cylinder chunking, connecting rod information etc. I found the information after doing a seach.

After reading th internet site, it looks like the entire IMS is replaced with the fix and the old is returned as a core.

Take a look at this and scroll down on the LN Engineering IMS solution..

http://www.lnengineering.com/boxster.html

Edited by KevinMac

• Moderators

As i thought, it ends up with a shaft replacement. Their solution looks like the latest Porsche up date ( new and factory rebuild M 96 >06 ), thanks for the info.

As i thought, it ends up with a shaft replacement. Their solution looks like the latest Porsche up date ( new and factory rebuild M 96 >06 ), thanks for the info.

So does a 2.7 M96 in a 2006 Boxster have the appropriate updates to avoid such a failure?

Definitely yes, all MY 06 have the latest update on the shaft, without issues till now. Fingers crossed.

Thanks!

That is great news, I was worried that a ticking bomb was waiting to ruin my engine... is there anywhere that I can read the Porsche information on this engine update?

Got a resoponse from LN Engineering, they basically said the bearing technically could be replaced without the shaft removal, but know of no one doing it along with a problem could arise.

The good news is they are looking into developing a retrofit kit without teardown. Stay tuned.

• Moderators

Westcoaster, i don't think so, just build dates and engine # in the factory. I haven't see any TB and communication was never their speciality, anyway the M96 engine is replaced by MA 102 (3.6) and MA 101 (3.8) on the 997 gen.2. 987 and 987C could be the next ones.