Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche 911 rear wheel max tire size

Some tire size issues are manufacturer related. All manufacturers 285 should work fine. A few 295's will fit with little or no rubbing.

I am running 285's on the rear of my MY99 C2.

Loren,

What size did you end up going up front? Did you keep the stock size?

I put GT3 front wheels on my car so they are 8" rather than 7.5.

I would go with a 235 front. 245's will rub at full lock.

So just want to confirm if this will be ok?

Fronts: 235.40.18

Rears: 285.35.18

Since Im going bigger in size should I bring the middle numbers down as well?

For ex. Fronts 235.25.18 or Rears 285.30.18 ?????

That 35 series will over 1 inch larger in overall diameter and cause your speedometer to read high.

If you have PSM I would stick with Porsche's recommended 30 series in the rear - and make sure you keep the recommended 44 PSI in them.

Whats the recommended PSI for the current tires now? I have them at 35? Should I put them higher?

• 1 year later...

Front is fine but I think you want 285/30 x 18 rears.

Loren,

Would you please you confirm that 235/40/18 on an 8.5" front rim is ok with the stock 285/30/18 on the 10" rim? That's about a 2.7% difference in size front to rear. I'm more concerned with the difference in diameter front/rear than any rubbing issues.

I did lots of searches, but they left me wanting of a Loren confirmation.

Thanks!

PH

• Admin

The 235/40 x18 should not rub on the front as long as you are using factory offsets (40mm). That is exactly what the GT3 (narrow body) uses. A 245 WILL rub at lock on tight turns.

A 295/30 x 18 would be better on the rear - that will just fit a 10" wheel. If you want the GT3 setup then you would go with an 11" rear with offset 63 mm (same size tire).

The 235/40 x18 should not rub on the front as long as you are using factory offsets (40mm). That is exactly what the GT3 (narrow body) uses. A 245 WILL rub at lock on tight turns.

A 295/30 x 18 would be better on the rear - that will just fit a 10" wheel. If you want the GT3 setup then you would go with an 11" rear with offset 63 mm (same size tire).

Thanks Loren!

So, just to confirm: Will there be a problem with systems in the car with the difference of 2.7% between the front and rear total diameters?

I asked because I already ordered the 235/40/18 tires for front 8.5" rims and the 285/30/18 for the rear 10" rims. If I must change the order, I am going to get hit with extra shipping costs, but I will do it if I need to do it.

I should have confirmed the sizes before placing the order, but I did one of those impulse buys which are so easy online.

PH

I don't think so - as I said this is the same setup as the GT3.

If the GT3 has 295/30 versus my 285/30 on the rear, the calculators show a 1.7% difference front/rear versus the 2.7% I will be running if I stay with these new tires. I'm hoping the 2.7% will be ok.

• 4 months later...

I am in the same boat but my car is a 2004 40th AE.

I want to go 235/40/18 up gront and 295/30/18 in rear using stoc rims.

Will that fit with NO rubbing issues? Tires will be Hankook v12's.

I don't think so - as I said this is the same setup as the GT3.

If the GT3 has 295/30 versus my 285/30 on the rear, the calculators show a 1.7% difference front/rear versus the 2.7% I will be running if I stay with these new tires. I'm hoping the 2.7% will be ok.