Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New replacement window or top for 2000 cab

2000 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Anyone out there ever have to replace the window in your convertible top? Mine has come unglued and in the process of "repairing" it, I have made quite the mess of things with various high end pliable glues / epoxies so I think I will likley need a new new top...so much for trying to DYI and save a few bucks. Anyway, there are a number of places in town (Phx, AZ) that "can do it" but I wanted to check in with you folks to see if you had any feedback or experience with the tops to help me avoid any further pitfalls...my first will prove to be quite expensive I am sure as a replacement window on a good top is quoted at $750...now that I have SH*T all one what was good fabric, it :o will probably cost me another $1k above that.

please be nice...I know I messed trying to "fix" it on the cheap up so I don't need to be kicked while I'm down.

Thanks,

KC

Edited by kcretors

2000 911 Carrera Cabriolet

Anyone out there ever have to replace the window in your convertible top? Mine has come unglued and in the process of "repairing" it, I have made quite the mess of things with various high end pliable glues / epoxies so I think I will likley need a new new top...so much for trying to DYI and save a few bucks. Anyway, there are a number of places in town (Phx, AZ) that "can do it" but I wanted to check in with you folks to see if you had any feedback or experience with the tops to help me avoid any further pitfalls...my first will prove to be quite expensive I am sure as a replacement window on a good top is quoted at $750...now that I have SH*T all one what was good fabric, it :o will probably cost me another $1k above that.

please be nice...I know I messed trying to "fix" it on the cheap up so I don't need to be kicked while I'm down.

Thanks,

KC

Have you tried cleaning the glue off? I'm not sure what's best to use, probably Simple Green or a light solvent and a stiff bristled brush.

You can have just the rear window section sewn in, but make sure you see the shop's work first. The stitching on my rear window meanders and zigzags -- it basically looks like total ***, but it's also why I got a an excellent deal on the car. Oh well.

Hi i have a 2001 C2 Cab (plastic windows).

The major lining of the whole convertible seems to have broke.

When the top is open and then i close it, the two major plastic lines running across the top are exposed instead of tucked inside the fabric.

the end of the lining where it meets the body work (behind the rear window) doesnt even pull tight and theres a hole there the fabric is supposed to totally cover the top (causing wind noise)

Anyone experienced this? any quick fix to pull this lining back or make it tighter?

I bought a new top with glass window from Ebay, and it was a great decision. The glass window looks better and will last much longer too.

I paid $1200 for the new top and $350 for installation. Now I never have to look at the faded window again.

KL

I have a 99 cab. Did replace THE PLASTIC WINDOW only. I did go to Porsche of Newport Beach, and asked for who they recommend for top work. They send me to this upholstry shop. They did charge me $500 for new plastic window including installation. Looks great. They used the existing top they did not even remove it.

PM if you need me to find the shop name, don't know where I put it :)

Edited by CabC2

I bought a new top with glass window from Ebay, and it was a great decision. The glass window looks better and will last much longer too.

I paid $1200 for the new top and $350 for installation. Now I never have to look at the faded window again.

KL

What about the glass window being "soooo small"? Probably not that bad, what is your impression?