Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Squealing noise coming from the engine compartment behind the seats ?

Squealing noise coming from the engine compartment behind the seats?? I been hearing a squealing noise for the past few weeks . I stopped driving the car as soon as heard it and I left it for a while.the Noise is more like the ribbed drive belt but I took it out and I started the car for a half a minute and the noise came back. The noise start when the temp is 180 (between 1- 8). It fade if I press on the paddle but as soon as it’s in ideal and the engine within the normal temperature the squealing starts.. the car is fine in term of performance and no engine light check .when I removed the belt and I run the car the noise start shortly after … and once I turn it off I get this fading squealing noise like a fading Whistle.

With ribbed drive belt removed while checking the sources of the noise would that eliminate

The possibility of having a faulty water pump since the only pulley rotating is the crankshaft pulley?

Please let me know if anyone had that problem before

Thank you all

97 boxster tip with 108000 mile

Squealing noise coming from the engine compartment behind the seats?? I been hearing a squealing noise for the past few weeks . I stopped driving the car as soon as heard it and I left it for a while.the Noise is more like the ribbed drive belt but I took it out and I started the car for a half a minute and the noise came back. The noise start when the temp is 180 (between 1- 8). It fade if I press on the paddle but as soon as it’s in ideal and the engine within the normal temperature the squealing starts.. the car is fine in term of performance and no engine light check .when I removed the belt and I run the car the noise start shortly after … and once I turn it off I get this fading squealing noise like a fading Whistle.

With ribbed drive belt removed while checking the sources of the noise would that eliminate

The possibility of having a faulty water pump since the only pulley rotating is the crankshaft pulley?

Please let me know if anyone had that problem before

Thank you all

97 boxster tip with 108000 mile

Well this would be just speculation, but it is possible that until the water temp gets high enough, there is no flow of coolant,

but once it does get high enough (and maybe the sensor is reading low) -- you are getting some movement of coolant which

is spinning the impeller of the water pump -- i.e. it's working backwards..... maybe the impeller bearings are going and

that is the source of the squeal -- the hissing sound could be steam cooking off from your coolant because it is overheating.....

Is the pulley on the water pump turning freely?

you don't want to run your car too long in this condition......

The first picture (sheared water pump shaft)

led to the second picture (freeze plug blowing)

which led to the third and a complete engine rebuild.

The waterpump can be had for ~$200 (or less) -- and might be a DIY..... depending on your abilities.

Here is a link to pictures from my project

A Star in the making

mike

post-34429-1230494738_thumb.jpg

post-34429-1230494777_thumb.jpg

post-34429-1230494792_thumb.jpg

Edited by txhokie4life

+1 for water pump check. Happened to my 2000 about 2 years ago. The bearing went on the pump causing the plastic pump fins to break. Squeeled for 3 days then gushed out onto the floor of garage. Fortunately no other damage. See attached. I never found the broken peice - but no issues so assume it is sitting in the bottom of a sump somewhere below the pump.

post-9849-1230523127_thumb.jpg

Sounds very much like the Air Oil seperator.

Does the squeel go away on opening the throttle, returns when allowed to idle.

I agree with the belt removed you have eliminated the pullys, one other thing to check - spark plugs are tight, It has been known for a loose plug to emmit a squeel as compression gasses squeeze by the loose plug

Sounds very much like the Air Oil seperator.

Does the squeel go away on opening the throttle, returns when allowed to idle.

I agree with the belt removed you have eliminated the pullys, one other thing to check - spark plugs are tight, It has been known for a loose plug to emmit a squeel as compression gasses squeeze by the loose plug

yes as soon as I open the throttle it goes a way . but it only happen when the car is right on the normal temp level . once I turn it off it does make a sound like fading air Whistle.

Remove the oil fill cap and see if the noise goes away... if it does it's the AOS failing

I want to thank every one who hleped me with this problem and yes I removed the cap and the noise is gone . I am going to keep it loss for just a bit untill I get the part . it's about 180 to fix which is not bad at all

Edited by nightghost