Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Folks,

I've been driving the car every couple of weeks through the ice and salt as I've been concerned about the battery running down and not being able to start it at all. I can't take it anymore though. Seeing salt and crud on the wheels calipers and all over the wheel arches and that lovely aluminum collector box behind the back wheels makes me cringe. So I've washed it and its going to sit in the garage. Problem is, its a public garage not mine so I can't trickle charge it to preserve the battery. So the question is....will starting it up every couple of weeks and letting it idle charge the battery or does that only get charged when the car is in motion? I could drive it round and round the garage like a loon but that isn't very practical for obvious reasons :D Would live to get some advice on this. Thanks in advance Porsche People!

If I leave mine over a week parked, I will have problems to start it up. I use battery tender and plug the car to the charger

when storage. It will also keep the battery in optimum condition and ready to go when you are.

• Moderators

Only technically spoken, the alternator will charge the battery at idle. Unfortunately this procedure is not good for the engine health, better is to take the car out for a 10 miles drive once a week, if you can't use a battery tender.

Hi Folks,

I've been driving the car every couple of weeks through the ice and salt as I've been concerned about the battery running down and not being able to start it at all. I can't take it anymore though. Seeing salt and crud on the wheels calipers and all over the wheel arches and that lovely aluminum collector box behind the back wheels makes me cringe. So I've washed it and its going to sit in the garage. Problem is, its a public garage not mine so I can't trickle charge it to preserve the battery. So the question is....will starting it up every couple of weeks and letting it idle charge the battery or does that only get charged when the car is in motion? I could drive it round and round the garage like a loon but that isn't very practical for obvious reasons :D Would live to get some advice on this. Thanks in advance Porsche People!

Are their lights in the garage? If so have you thought about putting one of those solar charging panels on the dash and charging it through the lighter socket?

Wow I've never heard of one of those devices Scottiemac. Actually I had to google them to convince myself that you weren't kidding me. Sounds like a great solution provided it works with electric lights. I'm going to look into them. Have you (or has anyone) any experiences with using these things?

Only technically spoken, the alternator will charge the battery at idle. Unfortunately this procedure is not good for the engine health, better is to take the car out for a 10 miles drive once a week, if you can't use a battery tender.

I agree with RFM.

My old M-B needed a jump a few times (the original radio was somehow causing the new battery to completely lose its charge overnight), and the AAA guys used a portable battery booster about the size of an old portable typewriter (remember those?) Might this work for you? Here's a link:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...rs+%26+Boosters

Edited by 355bhp

You could remove that battery and put it somewhere you can safely store it with a trickle charger attached.Only issue would be opening the front lid once it it has been closed without the battery hooked up, which due to the fact that is actuated electrically , won't work. The lid can be opened mechanically.Check your manual for details concerning opening the hood in this fashion. I would test the procedure prior to battery removal so that you're comfortable with the process and worry free knowing you can open it without the battery in the car before you remove it. No other solution I know of short of driving it regularly.

Taking the battery out is likely your best option. You will be able to pop the hood to return the battery by using the "jump" pull our fuse in the driver side footwell. With a junp vehicle you can open the hood and replace the battery. Make sure you have your radio code handy as you will need it.

Good Luck!

What about using one of those portable jump-start devices, hooked up to the cigar lighter as a surrogate battery? It should have enough juice to keep the car charged for two or so weeks, then while the car's battery is still fully charged, take the jump starter in and recharge it overnight, then put it into the car again the next morning? I've seen some of those jump starters on special here in NZ for as little as NZ$50 (about US$27).

Taking the battery out is likely your best option. You will be able to pop the hood to return the battery by using the "jump" pull our fuse in the driver side footwell. With a junp vehicle you can open the hood and replace the battery. Make sure you have your radio code handy as you will need it.

Good Luck!

That's an interesting point but if the battery is disconnected is the circuit to the jump lug still active ? Buddy of mine has '99 that he removed the battery from for the winter and then closed the hood. When I suggested using the jump lug I starting thinking about it and then wasn't sure if it would work with both the positive and negative battery leads disconnected. Told him to use the wire located under the bumper that's there expressly for emergencies. Have you ever tried to open the hood this way with the battery out of the car ?

Guys - thanks for all your responses. The idea of the jump starter sounds like a good one. Having said that, as long as the weather stays dry I'll be able to drive her regularly so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue. Taking the battery out also sounds like a solution albeit a more complex one! How does one obtain the radio code? Anyway loving the car. We are lucky people, people!

Using the jump starter as a trickle charger will mean that the radio won't lose its coding. You keep the battery charged, and as the jump starter runs out of juice, just take it indoors and plug it into your home power outlet, ready for action again the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a bind as my remote garage has no power at all and I've been looking for a good solar powered maintainer for the car. So far, nothing. A few may work fine, but need to add longer cables to reach roof outside.

****, looks like I should remove the battery and keep the hood cracked with the Porsche cover over the darn thing.

One of these days I'll find a good solar charger to do the job.

Deanski