Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Remove PSE cutout in 2 minutes, no tools required

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Seems like this mod was written up for the 996 (even though its here in the 996/997 section).  Has anyone done this mod on a 997 yet?

Unfortunately on the 997 the sound cutout is done by the DME CPU so there is no analog relay to bypass.

OK then. Can you whip me up a DME firmware upgrade? B)

Sure thing, no problem, can I borrow your PST for an evening? I'll whip up a patch in no time at all.

:thumbup:

• 4 months later...

Ok... I think I read on here that if you just remove the relay than everything will work fine. Do you have to cut the diode and so on and put the relay back? If I keep the relay out does that do anything bad to anything else on the car?

I have an 04' C4S with the PSE.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did the mod today.

I was afraid that I destroy the PCB, because it is so small, but finally it worked out.

Thanks a lot for the DIY Mod.

no more silence between 40 and 70 kph, apart from the Police being around and for the German TÜV.

Regards

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...
Did the mod today.

I was afraid that I destroy the PCB, because it is so small, but finally it worked out.

Thanks a lot for the DIY Mod.

no more silence between 40 and 70 kph, apart from the Police being around and for the German TÜV.

Regards

Bernd

does this mod still work on a '04 or '05 996?

great contribution anyway thx!

Edited by Carrera24

• 4 weeks later...
TD,

Since we only use an "input" signal, you don't have to worry, there is no output on the relay. (towards the speedo signal) The relay on your car will be differenct, the circuit also. ( ending 01 , 02 and today 03) . As long as you cut out the diode going to pin 1 of the relay, your fine.

If you want to "undo" the mod, just walk in a radio shack shop, ask for 1N4148 diodes ( probably 10 ct/pcs or less) and solder the diode in place.

Best, Eddy

I will have to say I was a little hesitant, but what the heck, you only go around once! LOL It was a 5 minute job at the most. Thanks so much for this excellent post!!

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just done the mod... had a blue diode not orange too.

Took all of 5 minutes, very simple... hardest part was prising the relay open.

I just snipped one leg and the used a piece of heat shrink to insulate, this should meen I could revert back to stock with a quick blob of solder.

Anyway.... thanks everyone for the MOD help.... the 25-45mph overide to quiet was getting on my nerves.

Cheers

Paul

:thumbup:

Eddy,

Many, many thanks for this superb mod :D As others have observed, the longest part of the project was getting the case off the relay :lol:

Just taken it down the road and enjoyed my GT3's 'voice' at the mid-range where, because of British roads, it spends most of its time - superb mod - thanks again.

For those who are interested, I use the part no. Loren gave and ordered a replacement relay just in case - £51.00 and will be here tomorrow.

Philip

• 3 weeks later...
Eddy,

Many, many thanks for this superb mod :D As others have observed, the longest part of the project was getting the case off the relay :lol:

Just taken it down the road and enjoyed my GT3's 'voice' at the mid-range where, because of British roads, it spends most of its time - superb mod - thanks again.

For those who are interested, I use the part no. Loren gave and ordered a replacement relay just in case - £51.00 and will be here tomorrow.

Philip

Hi all. I just had the PSE fitted and want to do this mod BUT..there is no relay with that part number or words on in my car. It a 1999 C2. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
Great Thread. I've just carried out the mod and I'm very pleased. One question though, does anyone know if the dash switch can be modified to default to quiet mode rather than loud mode? Would this simple be a case of swapping terminals in the dash switch?

Thanks,

Hilbert

That will likely work - but I haven't tried it.

• Moderators
Great Thread. I've just carried out the mod and I'm very pleased. One question though, does anyone know if the dash switch can be modified to default to quiet mode rather than loud mode? Would this simple be a case of swapping terminals in the dash switch?

The way that the "quiet" mode works is that the vacuum switch needs to be energized to allow vacuum to close the bypass flap in the muffler. The default mode (no vacuum) for the mechanical bypass flaps in the mufflers is open.

In order for the mufflers to be in the quiet mode as default, the PSE relay would need to be powered on at all times, and then powered off to make it noisy. This is the opposite of the current relay configuration. The PSE relay is a "normally off" relay, and it would need to be replaced with a "normally on" relay.

Reversing the power connections at the switch would not do anything.