Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Converstion Kit - DIY

Very nice write-up. Great job with the photos.

I saw somebody in a Boxster thread mention they found a white LED bulb to fit the foglight socket, which got rid of the yellow hue without requiring more ballasting, etc.

Seeing how well yours went together I'm kind of annoyed at myself for spending $40 replacing H7 bulbs earlier this week.

Edited by JeTexas

Very nice write-up. Great job with the photos.

I saw somebody in a Boxster thread mention they found a white LED bulb to fit the foglight socket, which got rid of the yellow hue without requiring more ballasting, etc.

Seeing how well yours went together I'm kind of annoyed at myself for spending $40 replacing H7 bulbs earlier this week.

Thanks, I'll check into the LED bulbs. It looks kind of goofy right now, but I can always turn off the fogs until I get the LEDs.

Glad I could help other would-be modders out there.

Hobbes, excellent write-up!

The kit, what brand did you go with, model #? I know H7 is the right size.

I like the 'slim' fact so that it fits into the light housing, no need to pull wires and make holes in the housing, etc.

Alex

Edited by londoner06

• 2 weeks later...
:clapping: Very well instruction. You must be a manufacturing engineer :D

Please let us know if you run into any issues with the bulbs! I have a friend of mines that bought something similar to this and the bulbs burned out after a year, he had to replace the kit since the bulbs were not replacable parts. I don't know if this is the case for this kit.

And by the way... VERY NICE WRITE UP, VERY DETAILED THANK YOU!!!

Edited by roastduck88

• 2 months later...

Looks awesome and great write-up. My only concern is glare being that your halogens do not have projector lens - if you ever driven past a riced out honda with aftermarket xenons in the stock halogen housings you know what I mean. I'm wondering if there's a way to cleverly retrofit projectors in the housing..

• 5 weeks later...

my porsche tool kit doesn't include that headlight removal tool, i guess the previous owner lost it :( i did some research and it seems like it's a 6mm female hex socket, is that correct? i tired using it but it just keeps turning and turning, the headlight doesn't even get loose. anyone know what the problem could be? thanks!

Nice write-up and installation. My only concern would be heat build up in the headlight housing leading to ballast failure. Hopefully that won't happen to yours.

i was thinking about this too when i saw the pic of the ballast int he headlight with everything but op has anything gone wrong since the install? if anything i would have thought the ballast would cause the other stuff to malfunction since the ballast itself gets so hot

yeah you can use the female hex socket...but I decided to buy one online. Found one on ebay. Just keep checking ebay.

my porsche tool kit doesn't include that headlight removal tool, i guess the previous owner lost it :( i did some research and it seems like it's a 6mm female hex socket, is that correct? i tired using it but it just keeps turning and turning, the headlight doesn't even get loose. anyone know what the problem could be? thanks!

Would it burn the headlight housing and cause a yellowing on the housing? Just wondering if the HID gets too warm..but it looks nice. Been thinking about changing out mine. Thanks for doing a write up. Now I know I can do it.

I decided to go with the HID conversion on my 2000 996. The conversion was fairly easy. I thought I would share it with the community.

HID_DIY.pdf

- Ken

yeah you can use the female hex socket...but I decided to buy one online. Found one on ebay. Just keep checking ebay.

thanks for the reply :)

i used the hex and it just keeps turning and turning, i turned it for a good 5 minutes and nothing was even loose or popped out :( anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

i used the hex and it just keeps turning and turning, i turned it for a good 5 minutes and nothing was even loose or popped out :( anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

I had the same problem with mine. I had to pull and jiggle the headlight as I turned the socket. Also, your bolt may be rounded off, so you may need to try a smaller socket.

When you put it back in, make sure the light is seated correctly on the bar that pops it out, so you won't have the same problem.

I had the same problem with mine. I had to pull and jiggle the headlight as I turned the socket. Also, your bolt may be rounded off, so you may need to try a smaller socket.

When you put it back in, make sure the light is seated correctly on the bar that pops it out, so you won't have the same problem.

just tired it :( no luck :( tired the 5 and 7mm both don't work only the 6, i can feel it turning and the rachet clicks but the headlight just stays still

just tired it :( no luck :( tired the 5 and 7mm both don't work only the 6, i can feel it turning and the rachet clicks but the headlight just stays still

It should only take half a turn to pop it out if it's seated correctly. If the 6mm hex head is rounded but not small enough to fit a 5mm, you might see if there's a standard size in between them that would turn it.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, i just finished this it turns out the hex socket is supposed to be 5mm not 6mm which is why it wasn't working for me haha, thanks for the diy op! and hope my information is helpful to any future diyers!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ken. I have headlight that went out on my 2000 C4 Cab and am looking to make the conversion. I printed out your directions and see the exact same model headlights but they all say on box "For Off road Use Only". I noticed your PDF also says that on the first pic at the top left corner. I can not find any reason it would say that...Have you come across any issues by the local law offices or burning the interior of the headlight(due to heat) since you made the updgrade?

Thanks in advance for your detailed mod instructions.

Brian