Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CEL code P0650?

P0650 could be a couple of things:

1. Open circuit, or implausible signal

2. Exceeding mixture threshold (either over rich or over lean)

Suggest a PID scan of sensors to see what they are reading................

In both cases what needs to be fixed or changed?

• Admin
i got this code

P0650

Porsche fault code 165 - Check Engine warning light

Open circuit

could anyone tell me what could be wrong!

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Open Circuit

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Below Limit

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Above Limit

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for continuity.

1. Connect special tool 9637 to wiring harness (DME control module connector).

2. Remove connector X 2/3.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and to X 2/3 on pin side, pin 11.

Display: 0 - 5 ohms

If infinite ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

4. Remove connector III of instrument cluster.

5. Connect ohmmeter to X 2/3, sleeve side, and to connector III of instrument cluster, pin 2.

If infinite ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for short to ground.

2. Remove connector III of instrument cluster.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and ground.

Display: infinite ohms

If 0 - 5 ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for short to B+.

3. Switch on the ignition.

4. Connect voltmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and ground.

Display: 0 V

If battery voltage is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

• Moderators
P0650 could be a couple of things:

1. Open circuit, or implausible signal

2. Exceeding mixture threshold (either over rich or over lean)

Suggest a PID scan of sensors to see what they are reading................

In both cases what needs to be fixed or changed?

This is where the PID scan comes in; it shows the "real time" output of the sensors, one of which is either uhappy or not responding. The scan will show which one(s) is(are) the issue.............

The diagnostics Loren mentioned are also a good start, as the MIL signal itself could be the issue.

No one ever said diagnostics where easy; but they can be fun.........

Edited by JFP in PA

• 1 year later...

The diagnostics Loren mentioned are also a good start, as the MIL signal itself could be the issue.

No one ever said diagnostics where easy; but they can be fun.........

The CEL being burned out turned out to be my exact issue.

Maddening. Totally maddening. Mostly because I just finished replacing my alternator, replacing my entire clutch hydraulics, and (I'm about to replace) my clutch.

Sorry if I disagree about diagnostics being fun. Car electronics just suck. :-)

-R.

Also, for those in the future searching for this CEL code and what it means, I present the following:

The P0650 indicates a problem with the actual CEL (check engine light). Ignition voltage is supplied directly to the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). The PCM (powertrain control module) controls the lamp by grounding the control circuit via an internal switch called a driver. The primary function of the driver is to supply the ground for the component being controlled. The driver has a fault line which is monitored by the PCM. When the PCM is commanding a component ON, the voltage of the control circuit should be low, near 0 volts. When the PCM is commanding the component control circuit OFF, the voltage potential of the circuit should be high, near battery voltage. If the fault detection circuit senses a voltage other than what is expected, the fault line status will change causing the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) to set.

Usually it's traced to a burned out CEL light, but it can also be a cut or grounded line to the CEL.

Best way to *quickly* check it is as follows:

Is the CEL (Check Engine Light) always on?

• If it is, the Check Engine switch or lines may be shorted closed. This will probably be a bear to find.

Does the CEL turn on when you first start the car (all the dash lights should come on)?

• If the answer is NO, either the light is burned out or the harness has a break in it. The former is easy. the latter not so.

The best way to troubleshoot around this (after checking the above) is to ask yourself what electronics you were near during your last repair. If the problem isn't a burned out bulb, odds are you made the break or short when you were last near the lines going to the dash (or, in my case, changing another bulb in the dash), or to the PCM (under the driver's seat). Reverse your steps, and look for something obvious.

Hopefully this will save someone some hair in the future. Mine's already mostly gone, which is why Bruce Willis and I share the same barber.

-R.

Edited by 986Rick

• 6 years later...

Hi fellow Porsche-ites.

I thought I'd revive an old post since I didn't see a fix for this problem.

I'm getting a p0650 along withn  p0300, 301, 302 and 303.  I took it to a local dealer who charged me $175 to tell me that all cylinders are misfiring. I already knew that.  They want an extra 2 hours and $325 for further diagnosis. What!?!?

I thought I'd ask the forum for a fix.

I have recently done the following:

- a major tune up (replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil and tranny fluid change, etc)

-  replaced AOS

-  replaced MAF

- checked for vaccum leaks and didn't find any.  HOWEVER, I didn't see smoke coming out of the oil dipstick. (a little concerning?).

Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

I have a 2000 Boxster.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Fern Bacungan said:

Hi fellow Porsche-ites.

I'm getting a p0650 along withn  p0300, 301, 302 and 303.  I took it to a local dealer who charged me $175 to tell me that all cylinders are misfiring. I already knew that.  They want an extra 2 hours and $325 for further diagnosis. What!?!?

- a major tune up (replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil and tranny fluid change, etc)

-  replaced AOS

-  replaced MAF

- checked for vaccum leaks and didn't find any.  HOWEVER, I didn't see smoke coming out of the oil dipstick. (a little concerning?).

I have a 2000 Boxster.

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

I'm afraid the news is not good as your car should not be capable of throwing a P0650 code, so I will have to assume the code they saw was P0605, which is code for a dying DME.

• 7 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 8:40 AM, Fern Bacungan said:

Hi fellow Porsche-ites.

-  replaced AOS

-  replaced MAF

I have a 2000 Boxster.

I have this exact same problem with mine same exact codes literally! so did you ever find out what the problem was or how to fix it?

• Moderators
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:19 AM, antporsche said:

I have this exact same problem with mine same exact codes literally! so did you ever find out what the problem was or how to fix it?

P0650 is a fault with the CEL itself:

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Open Circuit

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Below Limit

P0650 Check Engine Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) – Above Limit

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for continuity.

2. Remove connector X 2/3.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and to X 2/3 on pin side, pin 11.

4. Remove connector III of instrument cluster.

5. Connect ohmmeter to X 2/3, sleeve side, and to connector III of instrument cluster, pin 2.

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for short to ground.

3. Connect ohmmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and ground.

Display: infinite ohms

If 0 - 5 ohms is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

Check wiring from DME control module, pin IV/31, to instrument cluster for short to B+.

3. Switch on the ignition.

4. Connect voltmeter to special tool 9637, pin IV/31, and ground.

Display: 0 V

If battery voltage is displayed, check wiring harness for chafing and pinching damage.

If it is a P0605, you have a much more complicated issue, the DME is dying.  In either case, more diagnostics are going to be in order, and if the DME is going it is going to be expensive.

Good luck.