Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My new car and some questions

Hello,

I just got home with my 'new' 2000 996 cabriolet.

The car didn't come with any manuals. Are there any manuals on line for the MY 2000? I have downloaded and read the MY03 manual, but the interior is different. My car has the 'hifi' audio or something like that, it's the small box with lots of buttons near where the seat heater switch is. Any idea how I can learn about that?

TIA,

Barry

PS I'll post some pics shortly. I'm kind of wiped out from the drive home. I picked the car up in Kansas City Friday at 5:00pm and drove home to Long Island NY. I did about 500 miles yesterday and 750 today.

Congratulations! yes.gif

Barry, the MY03 is pretty close, I have a MY2000 996 as well, we have different trunk/engine compartment release levers, we don't have a glove box.

You can pick up an MY2000 replacement manual for $27.95 here at Suncoast:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...Code=CARMANUALS

The audio manual is usually separate from the owner's manual. Get some picks so members can see what audio equipment you have and advise you accordingly.

You can download the Porsche Parts Catalogue here:

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/index.jsp

Just navigate USA>Catalogue>Catalogue>Scroll to your model. It's really useful to find out part numbers before calling vendors.

There is nothing like a Porsche™

Regards,

Alex

Edited by londoner06

What was your top speed as the miles rolled by? :welcome:

At around 11:00PM, somewhere in Indiana, I had open road and

no traffic. So I did a quick burst to see how the car handed at

over 100 mph. I just pressed the pedal down, no bother to

downshift or anything. I accelerated over 100 pretty quickly

and hit 115 before I lifted.

Then a funny thing happened. My GPS (tomtom one XLS), which

was on the dash and working perfectly, locked up. I guess the

speed scared it :)

It rebooted and worked the rest of the trip.

BTW the car was smooth and stable at speed.

Barry

Congratulation Barry. I too bought a 2000 C2 Cab triple black. It is a beautiful car, a man dream machine. I did not have a chance to check out how fast I can handle on my car since I bought it. But get on ramp and enter freeway is not a problem.

BTW, I have the user manual and my car has the Hi-Fi selection panel like your. If you can not find the manual let me know may be I can scan the pages for you.

Have fun with your PORSCHE :) :)

Nghia

00 Carrera C2 Cab Black 6Sp

Oh, and 147 isn't a crazy speed?

I had mine up to 122 in central CA, and my GPS couldn't keep up either.

I'm 26 so I'm still invincible :P . The speed wasn't that scary but an suv in the left lane forced me to change lanes suddenly at 147. Things come up on you way faster than one would expect at that speed. All I could think about was how stupid I was and that I could have killed some unsuspecting guys family on there way home from the zoo. I haven't even come close to that speed since. In fact I just paid my 14mph over ticket this morning.

However I'm sure someone's had the guts to really flog one of these puppies in the US.

Once I turned on my Garmin Nuvi 680 during a flight from Denver to Chicago. It read 531 MPH! So, I think my Garmin can pace with my Porsche.

Once I turned on my Garmin Nuvi 680 during a flight from Denver to Chicago. It read 531 MPH! So, I think my Garmin can pace with my Porsche.

That's because you were closer to the satellites!

I don't know why, but my Magellan just wasn't up to the task.

I'm not an engineer but I'd be surprised if 20 or 30 thousand feet made a huge difference to something moving at 17k miles an hour and over 100 miles away. When I was in the army we'd always have the new guy stand on the roof of the truck and hold up the GPS unit to get a better signal. It's the funniest **** thing to watch a guy that honestly thinks 4 feet is going to matter try to peer at the dimly lit screen of a plugger held over his head in a snow storm. If he's willing to do that you know you'll have no problem giving him a roll of duct tape and a trash bag to "take an exhaust sample" from the Hummer. :lol:

I'm not an engineer but I'd be surprised if 20 or 30 thousand feet made a huge difference to something moving at 17k miles an hour and over 100 miles away. When I was in the army we'd always have the new guy stand on the roof of the truck and hold up the GPS unit to get a better signal. It's the funniest **** thing to watch a guy that honestly thinks 4 feet is going to matter try to peer at the dimly lit screen of a plugger held over his head in a snow storm. If he's willing to do that you know you'll have no problem giving him a roll of duct tape and a trash bag to "take an exhaust sample" from the Hummer. :lol:

That's funny! We used to send rookies out for left handed smoke shifters in the Boy Scouts. :P

I was, of course, just kidding about being closer to the satellites...

Anyhow, they are geosynchronous, and don't move relative to points on Earth.

I'm 26 so I'm still invincible :P . The speed wasn't that scary but an suv in the left lane forced me to change lanes suddenly at 147. Things come up on you way faster than one would expect at that speed. All I could think about was how stupid I was and that I could have killed some unsuspecting guys family on there way home from the zoo. I haven't even come close to that speed since. In fact I just paid my 14mph over ticket this morning.

However I'm sure someone's had the guts to really flog one of these puppies in the US.

I totalled my prized C2 and tore up my shoulders real bad going fast on public roads. (Bounced like a pinball through my favorite cement "go fast" tunnel at 115mph.) I should have been killed. You have no idea what it feels like to hit a solid object at over 100mph. It's quite frightening. Even if you are 26 please don't do that (for your sake (and your cars.) and of course innocent bystanders....

Edited by phillipj