Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Floor jack recommendations?

I want to purchase a floor jack. I need one that will work with my lowered car. I went on to Sears and looked at th Craftsmen jacks. They looked okay but the reviews were terrible. Almost everyone had complaints about the under $200 jacks failing or spilling oil on the ground. (I've already had my engine do that :D )

Can anyone recommend what they have and how much $ I will need to spend to get a quality low-slung jack? Kind of on a budget so money is an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Phillipj

I have a jack like the Torin and one I purchased from Sams many years ago. I use both depending on my current project with jack stands of course.

One thing I really like about the jack from sams is that it has a removable saddle so I can put in a saddle designed for my Porsche. The Torin type is really nice because I can carry it out on a road trip if needed.

Use those Jack Stands!

I'm in the market for a floor jack also, and was looking at Harbor Freight, Sears, Costco.

I've always been somewhat confused over the lift capacity rating needed for jacking up my p-car. If car weighs 3300lb +/-, would a 1.5 ton (i.e 3,000lb rated) jack be safe, and not be over-loaded? Don't remember my hi-school physics, but if you're lifting no more than 1/2 the car at a time, is a 2-ton jack necessary? :huh:

I would suggest you purchase the largest ones you can fit under the car. I have worked in a shop before and we had a stand fail under load once. Not a pretty sight.

I have a pair of 3 ton and two pairs of 6 ton stands I keep in my garage.

I use to have some light weight stands I purchased many years ago. I got rid of them the day I almost dropped a car off of them.

In one of the car clubs I belonged to, one of the guys was crushed under his car when his jack failed. Look at your car and see how much room is between the car and the floor.....then ask yourself how much do you want to spend on jack stands?

And as far as the Jack goes, I have a small lightweight jack that I can take on the road if needed and a huge heavy shop jack. So what if I spend a few extra dollars for a jack that is rated for more than I will use. Notice each of the jacks you guys are looking at were made in China, by the lowest bidder.....How much extra capacity do you really have?

Sorry about the reply but I'm just an old man who has had a few close calls.

Edited by carsareart

I would suggest you purchase the largest ones you can fit under the car. I have worked in a shop before and we had a stand fail under load once. Not a pretty sight.

I have a pair of 3 ton and two pairs of 6 ton stands I keep in my garage.

I use to have some light weight stands I purchased many years ago. I got rid of them the day I almost dropped a car off of them.

In one of the car clubs I belonged to, one of the guys was crushed under his car when his jack failed. Look at your car and see how much room is between the car and the floor.....then ask yourself how much do you want to spend on jack stands?

And as far as the Jack goes, I have a small lightweight jack that I can take on the road if needed and a huge heavy shop jack. So what if I spend a few extra dollars for a jack that is rated for more than I will use. Notice each of the jacks you guys are looking at were made in China, by the lowest bidder.....How much extra capacity do you really have?

Sorry about the reply but I'm just an old man who has had a few close calls.

Very well said. You can't make a mistake by buying a jack (or jackstands) that are definite overkill!

It's also a good idea to place the wheels under the car after you remove them, as a back up.

You can't be too safe, because you only get once chance. :soapbox:

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

So maybe I will just pass on the whole jack idea lol!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously that is really good advice. I grew around race cars and race shops all my life and my father instilled safety and quality whenever you were under the car. I wasn't going to cheap the jackstands. I just wondered how much floor jack I would really need.

Thanks for all the great input on this subject. It's good to hear what people own and their experience.

Phillipj