Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlights not coming on

Hello,

From what I found online, here and pbb, I replaced my ignition switch, but my headlights still don't work.

Background:

Started my car, switched on my headlights, came on for a brief moment, then they went off.

Jiggled the ignition key, to see if they came on at all, nothing.

Checked fuses, A slots 3 and 4, fuses okay, are the fuses that I'm checking even the correct ones?

Checked the bulbs, they are okay.

Changed the ignition switch, same issue.

My high beams and fog lights work...

Now I'm at a loss.

Any insight?

Thanks!

Edited by BobMarley

did you check the fuses for the low beams: A9 & 10 ? Sometimes fuses still look good but aren't. Try swapping in the same rated fuse from a known working accessory.

If you have a 986, they all use H7 bulbs. Try actually switching a bulb from either of the known working high or fog lamp w/ the low beam. In the headlight pod, the low beam is the one up highest.

Did you recently purchase this vehicle? Something similar happened to me after I took purchased mine.

After checking all the fuses and such I wanted to check voltages at the headlamp connector.

I removed both headlamp assemblies and found both connectors had been disconnected! I have Litronic btw and it was clear that something had been disconnected after looking at the assembly. I later needed to replace the headlight switch to fix the flickering issue.

Good luck!

Edited by rprieto

I installed a after market HID kit. After about 6 months my lights started inconsistantly not turning on. Finaly found that by turning on/off the fog lights (pulling the switch out and pressing back in) I could get the lights to turn on every time. It's almost like the contact in the switch is faulty. Sometimes I have to try several times to get the lights to turn on and it acts like the crisper the fog lights turn off the better chances my lights turn on. Not sure if you are having a similar issue or not, just thought I'd share.

Regards,

Scott

Fixed!

Thanks Cassie, I swapped actual bulbs and voila, I had low beams.

Went out and bought some bulbs and put them in.

The strange thing is that the driver's side bulb looks fine(the one I was actually/initially testing), so that threw me from the get go.

I'll remember the swap method in the future!

thanks for everyone's help.

• 8 months later...
I installed a after market HID kit. After about 6 months my lights started inconsistantly not turning on. Finaly found that by turning on/off the fog lights (pulling the switch out and pressing back in) I could get the lights to turn on every time. It's almost like the contact in the switch is faulty. Sometimes I have to try several times to get the lights to turn on and it acts like the crisper the fog lights turn off the better chances my lights turn on. Not sure if you are having a similar issue or not, just thought I'd share.

Regards,

Scott

Having EXACTLY same problem....

Have you found a solution? I though it was a problem with my HID kit and I removed it.

Now what happens is the headlights (with Silver Star bulbs) sometimes take a while to turn on.

Anyone with the same issue, please contribute. Is this a fuse issue? Has the KIT damaged the electric system?

Best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

Anyone, please...

The problem is getting worse. Should I buy new fuses and take it from there?

Or is it unlikely that the fuses are the problem here?

If so..where do I get fuses and what are the specs of the headlight ones?

All the best,

Gus

• 2 months later...

Hi Gus,

Sometimes when you reinsert the headligt assembly, the headlights (female) receptacle does not fully engage with the stationary light receptacle (male). Before slideing in the ligts, check and see how firm and stationary the male receptacle is. They break off fairly easy and /or a wire gets lodged between them. Some people remove the inner wheel well cover and manually check after you snap the lights in.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Did you read post 9 - he fixed his with new bulbs.

I would still check the fuses and headlight switch first.

The information is in your owners manual for bulbs and the fuse locations are on a paper inside the fuse box.

Thanks, Loren...

My problem seems to be the same as in post 8 (which I quoted).

BTW I did change the bulbs and nothing...still have the problem

Best,

Gus

Edited by gandrade1

The problem is most likely the headlight switch. Mine flickered or acted more like a strobe light when you turn it on. Try to do what I did. Pull out the switch to the fog light position, then slam it back in. This ensures a GOOD connection to start the lamp. The contacts get worn or dirty over time. I did this standing up just outside the car and with my right hand/palm. After doing this a couple of times... BAM, my light came on. I am pretty sure your lights will turn on. If so, R&R the switch.

• Thanks 1

The problem is most likely the headlight switch. Mine flickered or acted more like a strobe light when you turn it on. Try to do what I did. Pull out the switch to the fog light position, then slam it back in. This ensures a GOOD connection to start the lamp. The contacts get worn or dirty over time. I did this standing up just outside the car and with my right hand/palm. After doing this a couple of times... BAM, my light came on. I am pretty sure your lights will turn on. If so, R&R the switch.

Ok...Looks like the switch is the problem then...Performed your test and the light comes right back on.

Thanks,

Gus