Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant flush with vacuum fill tool

hih guys., I Just got the Uview 5500 coolant flush tool., checked the vacuum leak test and it holds pressure.

here is my question is there any drain plugs that I have to open to drain all the coolant out including the ones from the radiator and the one under the engine or I will be okay just use the vacuum method to suck all the coolant out from the refill tank....

thanks

• Moderators

It's better and quicker to drain the coolant system by removing the drain plug on the rear of the engine, while the car is lift up on the front. Refilling can be done with the vacuum machine.

hih guys., I Just got the Uview 5500 coolant flush tool., checked the vacuum leak test and it holds pressure.

here is my question is there any drain plugs that I have to open to drain all the coolant out including the ones from the radiator and the one under the engine or I will be okay just use the vacuum method to suck all the coolant out from the refill tank....

thanks

mtimmy:

Did you get the tool online?

Please let me know if you found its operation to be as advertised, as I am considering buying one for my upcoming coolant tank replacement.

Regards, Maurice.

I browsed on ebay for a while., the price is around 100 + - with shipping

went to a local store got it for $110 with tax.

yes it work as advertised.,.., very easy to use you need to have air compressor though.

thanks

mtimmy:

Did you get the tool online?

Please let me know if you found its operation to be as advertised, as I am considering buying one for my upcoming coolant tank replacement.

Regards, Maurice.

I guess I'm too late but Maurice, you're welcome to use mine any time.

Stefan:

Thanks for the generous offer.

I actually received it one day after I ordered it. Great excuse for adding to my tool collection. I'm going to have to replace my coolant tank because the threads on the neck (where the cap screws onto) are all buggered up. I thought I might be able to cut the neck down by 3/4 of an inch to have screw on to new threads, but can't figure out a way to insure that the new lip would be smooth enough to make a tight seal without taking the coolant tank out of the car.

If I take it out of the car, I might as well replace it. <_<

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 months later...
It's better and quicker to drain the coolant system by removing the drain plug on the rear of the engine, while the car is lift up on the front. Refilling can be done with the vacuum machine.

Does this method work to drain all or most of the coolant out for flushing? Just lifting the front end and draining from engine drain plug...letting gravity do its work.. Advice.

I am about to tackle this maintenance work...equipt with my uview.

Thanks...

You're supposed to disconnect the coolant hoses on the bottom of the car to drain the last bit of fluid. I just squeeze the hoses repeatedly to get it out but to be completely thorough you really should disconnect the hoses.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to know where you connect the hoses with the UVIEW tool.Are you filling by the drain plug with vacuum in the tank.?

Is the engime must be at running temperature with thermostat open when you flush the system and when you refill?

Is there a DIY somewhere in the forum with complete information and tricks?

Thanks!

I want to know where you connect the hoses with the UVIEW tool.Are you filling by the drain plug with vacuum in the tank.?

Is the engime must be at running temperature with thermostat open when you flush the system and when you refill?

Is there a DIY somewhere in the forum with complete information and tricks?

Thanks!

The rubber adapter plug is pressed onto the neck (opening) of the coolant reservoir tank and the brass fitting goes into the middle of the adpater plug. After you have pulled a vacuum (gauge at 25 IIRC) you then fill by attaching the clear siphon hose to the other fitting and make sure that the other end of the siphon hose is always submerged in fresh coolant/distilled water mix.

Engine at operating temperature would have the thermostat open and let more of the coolant out.

Regards, Maurice.

Thank you Maurice but i try to understand how the coolant goes to the tank with vacuum on it.It circulate from the tank to the motor and then to radiators

and where goes the air.If you vacuum the tank,the coolant must enter by another input.Can you explain me how it circulate in the system.?

Thanks again!!

Thank you Maurice but i try to understand how the coolant goes to the tank with vacuum on it.It circulate from the tank to the motor and then to radiators

and where goes the air.If you vacuum the tank,the coolant must enter by another input.Can you explain me how it circulate in the system.?

Thanks again!!

Elgrand:

By creating the vacuum (with the gauge on the Uview at 25), you are essentially sucking all of the air out of the system. The negative pressure of the vacuum then pulls in the coolant mixture to take the place of the air that was in the system before the device sucked it out.

Think of a syringe, with the opening in the needle plugged up. You pull on the handle and there is a vacuum created inside the tube, but no air. If you remove the plug and the needle is exposed to air, it will fill up the tube of the syringe with air. If you remove the plug after you have submerged the end of the needle opening in water, it will suck up and fill the tube of the syringe with water.

Same principle with the coolant system, except the tube of the syringe is now the coolant tank, coolant passages in the engine, all the radiator hoses, and the radiator.

The coolant enters via the coolant reservoir neck, through the clear hose that is pressed into the middle of the adapter.

Trust me. It works exceedingly well.

Regards, Maurice.

Ok Maurice now it's clear and now my problem is to find a uview dealer or seller who ship to Canada or a kit on ebay or if you have any suggestion about dealer.

Last question Maurice,Which quantity of coolant do you use to refill.?

My car is a 996 targa 2003

Manual 6 speed.

Us car now in canada.

thanks again

Ok Maurice now it's clear and now my problem is to find a uview dealer or seller who ship to Canada or a kit on ebay or if you have any suggestion about dealer.

Last question Maurice,Which quantity of coolant do you use to refill.?

My car is a 996 targa 2003

Manual 6 speed.

Us car now in canada.

thanks again

elgrand:

Uview is made in Canada. :P

I bought my unit from Amazon.com and it was an excellent price (around $100).

It's the exact same kit sold by Porsche, but if you buy it from Porsche you have the privilege of paying an additional $400. If you buy it from Porsche, you get the nice Porsche sticker on it. :P

My car is a '97 Boxster and I refilled it with 6 gallons of 50/50 mix- coolant to distilled water.

Not sure if the capacity is the same for your 996. If you don't have a manual for your car, take a look at the top of the page here for PDF's of Porsche Owners Manuals, under the "Documents" tab.

Regards, Maurice.

By the way, jacking the front end of the car up won't do much good unless you get it 2-3 feet higher than the rear. I just had my whole coolant systems apart to remove the "pudding" from an intermix problem. This included removing all the hoses and the radiator, and cleaning out all the tubes that run from the front of the car to the back using an electricians pull tape and rags. The tubes run up pretty high under the car and then up into the engine compartment. To get the nose up higher than the top of the tubes in the engine compartment it would take 24"-36". Raising it less won't hurt, but it won't help much.

Wow, it' made in canada and they dont have it on Amazon.ca. Amazon.com is US and they have it.I am in Canada and i will pay to import

a tool made in Canada.

Incredible!

Thanks Maurice!

can anyone do a write up for this one?? That'll be a great DIY. I'm also thinking about flushing out my coolant. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...

I finally bought my Uview and received that yesterday.Today i had flush all the system and refill completely with my tool.

It works very well and now i hope that i have solve my traped air problem.

Tomorrow,it wil be the road test.

Ciao guy's

I finally bought my Uview and received that yesterday.Today i had flush all the system and refill completely with my tool.

It works very well and now i hope that i have solve my traped air problem.

Tomorrow,it wil be the road test.

Ciao guy's

Way to go! :clapping: :cheers: :clapping:

Regards, Maurice.