Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dumb Owners Book(s) Question

Here's a question I should probably know the answer to, but never really thought about it till now.

My 00' Boxster S didn't come with any original manuals or books. I've seen mention of people getting "stamps" by the dealership etc.

In keeping up with "things to purchase" to enhance the everyday "Porsche owning." I wanted to purchase the owner's manual and keep it in the car. Is there some special "Log Book" in addition to this that I can purchase and take to the dealership if I ever need to that records the stamped service log by Porsche, or some other "official" book to track these sorts of things?

The stamps are intended for the Maintenance booklet. So, you'd want the Owner's Manual and the Maintenance booklet at a minimum. Entire sets, including the pouch, are routinely on eBay for sale. A complete set will run you between $150 and $200 typically. It's probably where the set that belongs to your car wound up.

• Admin

A new 2000 Boxster S Owners Manual is WKD.986.021.00 and has a US MSRP $34.54.

A new 2000 Boxster S Maintenance Manual is WKD.900.023.00 and has a US MSRP $24.06.

I am sure the folks a Sunset Imports can get you better pricing than that.

Sorry, but many of the manuals on eBay are a rip off.

A new 2000 Boxster S Maintenance Manual is WKD.900.023.00 and has a US MSRP $24.06.

I agree Loren... ;) again, big fan of Sunset. I'll conact them and find out what a complete set costs.

I agree Loren... ;) again, big fan of Sunset. I'll conact them and find out what a complete set costs.

$83 total for Manual, Warranty, Service, CDR-220 Manual, and Case. Not too shabby, beats anything off e-bay for sure.

Get the complete set including the one for your radio version from Sunset. They are the BEST! Then if you know the original selling dealer (I found this out via a carfax) call them and tell the service folks that you want to get a service history for your VIN at their dealership. I sent them the new service maintenance book, a copy of my registration and drivers license and asked them if they could put the proper stamps in the service book for when it was sold, and for the various maintenance work, etc. In my case it was Carlsen Porsche. It took a few weeks to get back, but they were very helpful in helping me complete a history for my vehicle. When I bought the car it came with everything, less the service book. The service book has original owner info in it so I think the selling dealer kept it. I also recreated the option sticker in the service booklet, based on the one in the truck. Looks perfect!

I'm kind of anal about wanting it as it was.

Cheers.

Get the complete set including the one for your radio version from Sunset. They are the BEST! Then if you know the original selling dealer (I found this out via a carfax) call them and tell the service folks that you want to get a service history for your VIN at their dealership. I sent them the new service maintenance book, a copy of my registration and drivers license and asked them if they could put the proper stamps in the service book for when it was sold, and for the various maintenance work, etc. In my case it was Carlsen Porsche. It took a few weeks to get back, but they were very helpful in helping me complete a history for my vehicle. When I bought the car it came with everything, less the service book. The service book has original owner info in it so I think the selling dealer kept it. I also recreated the option sticker in the service booklet, based on the one in the truck. Looks perfect!

I'm kind of anal about wanting it as it was.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info. Thats exactly the intent I have. I already got the carfax report, and I plan to call the original dealer on Monday to ask about the service stamps. Curious, how exactly did you go about recreating the option sticker?

The Service History can be hard to get from the dealership. I visited the dealership that took care of my car before I got it. They verified single owner and that it was serviced by them but would not provide the details due to privacy concerns. They said if I can get a letter from the original owner allowing me to see the service history, they would be happy to provide it. However they also would not give me the previous owner's name, same privacy concern.

Probably depends upon the dealer you visit though.

I basically made a copy of the option sticker in the front trunk. I experimented with font, (I think I ended up using Franklin Gothic Medium Condensed) etc and then prinited on a white mailing label. It turned out great.

post-33718-1237857735_thumb.jpg

• Admin
I basically made a copy of the option sticker in the front trunk. I experimented with font, (I think I ended up using Franklin Gothic Medium Condensed) etc and then prinited on a white mailing label. It turned out great.

:lol: That is nicer than the factory sticker!

The factory sticker looks like it was printed on an old dot matrix printer.

Funny thing is I couldn't figure out how to make it look like a dot matrix! I tried!

It turned out good think.

Cheers,

Dan

http://www.free-fonts.com/matrix_fonts.html

Lol :D you guys are nuts! I'll probably "try" and make something authentic looking as possible, and put that in there. Also FYI.... contacted the dealer, but they said I have to pay $50 because the car hasn't been seen there in over 3 years so they have to order the service documentation on it.

From what I researched from my carfax the report, the car was registered as a personal vehicle new with 16 miles on it on 2/11/2000 in Wheaton, IL - so I'm assuming the Westmont Porsche dealer who I called already.

Owner 1:

The vehicle was service on 6/6/2000, and 6/26/2002 and sold at 8,905 miles.

Owner 2:

it was then serviced 11/14/2002 @ 14,506 miles, and again on 10/01/2003 @ 24,845 then it was sold again to a dealer on 12/01/2003, serviced on 12/03/2003 @ 24,910 and sold.

Owner 3:

Serviced again 03/10/2004 @ 30,789, Passed emmissions on 05/27/2004, serviced again 6/23/2004 @ 36,865.... then it says some "service contract was issued by "Service Plan Co. Elk Grove Village, IL" ??

Owner 4:

Now here's where things get a little shady... from the 46,335 mark all the way to the 71,000 mark range... theres a whole bunch of service entries where the service "Source" is either "Bentley Downers Grove Luxury Motors" or "Service Plan Co."

I did a little investigative work... Bentley Downers Grove Luxury Motors is NOT a certified Porsche serviceing company... and there's entries here for Drive Axle serviced (a bunch of these), engine serviced, manufacturer's recommended maintenance, shift lever replaced (at least 3 of these entries), fuel system serviced, electrical system serviced, cooling system serviced. Etc... all in all 3 sources marked as "Bentley Downers Grove Luxury Motors, and 8 marked as "Service Plan Co.".... I'm not sure what to make of all that.

Owner 5:

Me

Edited by usaf-lt-g

well, Since we are talking stickers...Somewhere in my cars previous life, someone peeled 2 stickers off of the door jambs on the passengers side. Any idea as to what they were? I am now left with 2 sticky spots.

That didn't sound quite right... :P