Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Facelift Conversion

Hi

Has anyone done the conversion before?

I am doing the conversion right now, and it is much easier then what I thought before.

All I have to do is replace the front fenders, headlight (including tray and plug) and front bumper. No any mod required for the body parts.

I have already fitted the front fenders and headlights, but however, I have no idea how to re-wiring those headlight wires as they are running with different plug.

Does any one could help me with this?

I have got the wiring diagram for pre-facelift headlights, but I have no idea how to connect with new headlights' plug as they are have 12 wires, and old one has only 10 wires.. :(

Many thanks

Alan

There is a guy on this board that is hosting the 02 + tech manuals. I am not sure if that will help but there is one for electrical. That and some trial and error should od the trick!

I would love to see some of the WIP pics....

There is a guy on this board that is hosting the 02 + tech manuals.  I am not sure if that will help but there is one for electrical.  That and some trial and error should od the trick! 

B) Sure, i will post some photo tomorrow.

• Moderators

One of out local Boxster owners, Danny, has a turbo front on his. He used the halogen new style headlight and ran jumper wires from the connector to the new headlights. Because, as you know, the electrical pins on the back of the headlight do not match your plug for the headlight.

What you could do is order the front trunk wiring harness for a 2002 or newer 996. Which harness to get depends if you are using the standard halogen or Bi-Xenon. Xenons have more pins and so they have more wires in the harness.

post-2-1092178061_thumb.jpg

One of out local Boxster owners, Danny, has a turbo front on his.  He used the halogen new style headlight and ran jumper wires from the connector to the new headlights.  Because, as you know, the electrical pins on the back of the headlight do not match your plug for the headlight.

What you could do is order the front trunk wiring harness for a 2002 or newer 996.  Which harness to get depends if you are using the standard halogen or Bi-Xenon.  Xenons have more pins and so they have more wires in the harness.

Hi TP.

Thanks for your information. The boxster look really nice with turbo front.

I have already got the new headlight wiring harness for Bi-Xenon Headlight (I have got Bi-Xenon Headlight form Turbo).

But I have no idea how to ran jumper wires from the connector to the new headlights. :(

Also, do I need the new control box to have the Bi-Xenon System work?

Xenon have 12 pins for the connector.

Thanks

Alan

There is a guy on this board that is hosting the 02 + tech manuals.  I am not sure if that will help but there is one for electrical.  That and some trial and error should od the trick! 

Pic just took today, passenger side has been fit for new fender, drive side shows stock fenders. Hopefully will be done by next week.

post-2-1092237615_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
There is a guy on this board that is hosting the 02 + tech manuals.?I am not sure if that will help but there is one for electrical.?That and some trial and error should od the trick!?

Pic just took today, passenger side has been fit for new fender, drive side shows stock fenders. Hopefully will be done by next week.

:D :D :D Finally Conversion has been done. Looking for a big wing to suit the car now.. any suggestion? ;)

post-2-1094213498_thumb.jpg

Edited by barchetta

I am also doing the face lift on my 1999 C4. Do you have the wiring diagrams for both the headlights. (MY99 standard and 02+ zeon). I had the luck and found the wiring plugs so that I did not have to buy new harness. Buy the way it looks great and carrera wing will look great on the car. I will post some pics of mine when I am done.

• 2 months later...
There is a guy on this board that is hosting the 02 + tech manuals.?I am not sure if that will help but there is one for electrical.?That and some trial and error should od the trick!?

:D :D :D Finally Conversion has been done. Looking for a big wing to suit the car now.. any suggestion? ;)

Hey I was wondering could you give me cost on the facelift, also did you do the work yourself, also if you could tell where you go the parts from and stuff, I am deciding on if I should do it, or just save up some more and get a 2002.

• 1 year later...

It would be great if you could write a 'How To' guide on this, and post it on the 996 DIY Mods forum. I have a 2001 Carrera cabriolet with standard headlights that I would like to facelift to >2002 with Xenons. I guess you need to replace the following? :

Both fenders

Both headlights and ballasts

Front bumper

Headlight mounts?

2002 wiring harness

Anything else, eg bumper mountings?

I would REALLY appreciate a DIY

and an idea of total cost

I am VERY interested in doing this on my '99 c2!!!!

please give all the info you can...

Looks fantastic, but....... if you were going to do this now, might it be worth considering updating the look to a 997 with those fantastic single lights - somebody on www.porscheclubgbforum.com is doing his now.

• 1 year later...
I would REALLY appreciate a DIY

and an idea of total cost

I am VERY interested in doing this on my '99 c2!!!!

please give all the info you can...

Does anybody write a Do it yourself in this item?

It's very interesting

And what about the cost?

• 1 year later...

Ive started the facelift, got all the parts I and am taking pics for a complete DIY that I will post

very soon. Body shop has the parts for prep. and Ill take my car in for the swap and complete

paint and wiring next week. btw I have an extra set of the wire you need to do the

facelift. PM me if interested.

Pics of Pcar before conversion.

post-17661-1212089821_thumb.jpg

post-17661-1212089859_thumb.jpg

Ive started the facelift, got all the parts I and am taking pics for a complete DIY that I will post

very soon. Body shop has the parts for prep. and Ill take my car in for the swap and complete

paint and wiring next week. btw I have an extra set of the wire you need to do the

facelift. PM me if interested.

Pics of Pcar before conversion.

good luck with that mate - just got my facelifted Box' back today B)