Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CEL is on - code P1317

Hi all,

The CEL for 1999 Boxster is on again. The OBD scanner shows P1317 - Misfire, Emission Related,

signal Implausible Cyl, 1-6. When I started the car, the engine misfired and ran very roughly. The

CEL was flasing.

I had spark plugs, ignition coil pack replaced about 1 month ago. Also replaced the air/oil separator to

fix the problem of too much white smoke.

What does this CEL code mean? Where should start to check?

Your suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

• Admin
Hi all,

The CEL for 1999 Boxster is on again. The OBD scanner shows P1317 - Misfire, Emission Related,

signal Implausible Cyl, 1-6. When I started the car, the engine misfired and ran very roughly. The

CEL was flasing.

I had spark plugs, ignition coil pack replaced about 1 month ago. Also replaced the air/oil separator to

Thanks.

Steve

DO NOT drive the car with a flashing CEL - damage to the catalytic converter will occur (and they are very expensive).

P1317 Misfire, Cylinder 5, Emission Relevant

Potential causes:

- Fouled, faulty or incorrect

- spark plugs

- Contact resistance

- Loose contacts

If the coil pack is good I would replace the spark plug and also pull back the boot on the coil pack connector - looking for corrosion or bad connections.

Hi all,

CEL was flasing.

Thanks.

Steve

DO NOT drive the car with a flashing CEL - damage to the catalytic converter will occur (and they are very expensive).

P1317 Misfire, Cylinder 5, Emission Relevant

Potential causes:

- Fouled, faulty or incorrect

- spark plugs

- Contact resistance

- Loose contacts

If the coil pack is good I would replace the spark plug and also pull back the boot on the coil pack connector - looking for corrosion or bad connections.

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the help. First time ever, I jacked up the Boxster and crawled underneath the car. I saw the

ignition coil packs and by using the 5mm allen wrench, I sucessfully removed one pack.

There is a cable going up to somewhere above from the coil pack and a big deep hole that the long nose of the

coil pack is inserted to.

Where are the spark plugs? Are they connected to the cable above the coil packs? Or they are inside the deep holes that coil packs

are inserted?

Also I noticed that I need a special tool to remove and install the plug.

From internet resources, it says I need the special snap on tool to remove the plug.

Will regular spark plug socket work for the Boxster? If not, do you know where is the best place to get it?

I spent too much money by using the mechanic trying to fix the misfiring. This time, I want to

at least to try to fix it myself.

Thanks again.

Steve

Hi,

It seems that the DIY link posted here is for 996 series (Carrera) . I am still having problem finding plugs for Boxster after

I removed the wheels. The picture posted on the link is different from what I saw for Boxster.

Does anyone have pictures for the removal of 986 (Boxster) plugs?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

• Admin

Hi,

It seems that the DIY link posted here is for 996 series (Carrera) . I am still having problem finding plugs for Boxster after

I removed the wheels. The picture posted on the link is different from what I saw for Boxster.

Does anyone have pictures for the removal of 986 (Boxster) plugs?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Remove the heat shield and the coils should obvious.

Steve, the spark plug lies underneath the coil you removed - the big deep hole, You dont need a tool to remove the connector, there is a clip you have to squeeze to release the connector - peel back the rubber boot surround and you will see the clip.

Get a new spark plug and you can get the correct socket at the same time, put an extension bar on the socket and feed it into the big deep hole, turn the extension bar as you feed it in the hole and you will feel the socket engage the plug - then put your ratchet on the bar and turn anticlockwise - this will remove the plug - reassemble is the opposite to what you have just done

Steve, the spark plug lies underneath the coil you removed - the big deep hole, You dont need a tool to remove the connector, there is a clip you have to squeeze to release the connector - peel back the rubber boot surround and you will see the clip.

Get a new spark plug and you can get the correct socket at the same time, put an extension bar on the socket and feed it into the big deep hole, turn the extension bar as you feed it in the hole and you will feel the socket engage the plug - then put your ratchet on the bar and turn anticlockwise - this will remove the plug - reassemble is the opposite to what you have just done

That's it. Thanks Glyn. You answered my question.

I'll do it right away.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks a million.

Steve

Hi Loren and Glyn,

I think I found the problem. Is the middle coil pack on the driver side for cylinder 5?

The cable connected to the coil pack for some reason was not completely clicked in.

I got coil pack replaced by the mechanic before. No matter how I tried, I just couldn't click the

cable to the coil pack. I think the new coil pack is defective.

The connection between the engine and the coil pack was loosen and didn't have a solid connection.

I think I got it this time.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help. I love this forum.

Steve