Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I've got two issues popping up with a new one this evening:

1) Car more frequently now than before doesn't start on the morning first-start crank. All the electrics light up and the battery looks to be holding voltage at about 12.3 (per my search), but try to fire and it does nothing. I need to do this several times sometimes and it's an annoyance. Clutch switch? Who knows. When driving, seems to hold just under the 14 mark so it doesn't sound like it's the battery?

2) Just this evening after I've been driving around a bit I go to start the car. Very slow to crank. Had to try a couple of times to get the engine to turn over. Starter motor? Ignition switch? Not sure, but it's just been feeling like the car's slower to crank or the crank isn't as full of alacrity as in the past?

Thoughts?

Many thx. I'm gonna get these things handled now. Annoyances.

Edited by Benjamin Choi

1) Car more frequently now than before doesn't start on the morning first-start crank. All the electrics light up and the battery looks to be holding voltage at about 12.3 (per my search), but try to fire and it does nothing. I need to do this several times sometimes and it's an annoyance. Clutch switch? Who knows. When driving, seems to hold just under the 14 mark so it doesn't sound like it's the battery?

2) Just this evening after I've been driving around a bit I go to start the car. Very slow to crank. Had to try a couple of times to get the engine to turn over. Starter motor? Ignition switch? Not sure, but it's just been feeling like the car's slower to crank or the crank isn't as full of alacrity as in the past?

Thoughts?

I've seen a couple of reports recently where battery looked good but really had a dead cell. New battery solved the problems. Anyway for you to really get a good test of battery?

Thoughts?

I've seen a couple of reports recently where battery looked good but really had a dead cell. New battery solved the problems. Anyway for you to really get a good test of battery?

I hope it's the battery and not the starter. :)

Every Porsche I have ever owned was particularly sensitive to weak batteries. I would bet it is the battery. Do you keep your battery on a maintainer? If not, replace the battery and hook one up.

u think this is the case even with the weird starting action which sounds like its' a clutch switch type deal?

If the clutch switch isn't working, it wouldn't be cranking at all. They're only about $15 though, so it wouldn't hurt to change it just for peace of mind.

Since you're having trouble with both cold starts and warm starts, I'm leaning toward battery. Usually if starters are dying, they have trouble warm when they get heat soaked.

Another issue I've seen before is dirty fuel injectors can cause hard starts or the car to die once or twice before it runs smoothly in the mornings.

But I'd check the battery first.

If the clutch switch isn't working, it wouldn't be cranking at all. They're only about $15 though, so it wouldn't hurt to change it just for peace of mind.

Since you're having trouble with both cold starts and warm starts, I'm leaning toward battery. Usually if starters are dying, they have trouble warm when they get heat soaked.

Another issue I've seen before is dirty fuel injectors can cause hard starts or the car to die once or twice before it runs smoothly in the mornings.

But I'd check the battery first.

je, in the mornings, the thing doesn't crank at ALL. electrics work. that's why im suspecting it's also the switch perhaps. and then it was last nite where the car was slow to crank and took a couple of tries. or maybe it's the starter because the car was driven for about 15 miles and was sitting while i was having coffee with a friend.

the car's never died on me once fired up.

Edited by Benjamin Choi

Thoughts?

Ben,

I would "jumper" the clutch switch to isolate that is one possible problem and also have the battery load tested at any auto repair shop that seels batteries. Easy diagnostic tests before taking any other part replacement tests.

My $.02 Demosan Good Luck!! :cheers:

It definitely sounds like a battery issue. You can have the battery checked at a local parts store for free too. Have you looked at the post connections? They could be corroded and giving you all kinds of troubles.

For those who said it's a battery issue, you get a prize. I swapped out the battery and the engine turns over with much greater vigor. I think it's been fading for quite some time. My battery is the original '02 Porsche battery that came with the car. Lasted quite a while. Sweet.

The clutch switch also needed to be swapped out for my morning zero engine crank action issue.

Any way to donate money to Renntech without using PayPal?

Thanks, all!!! :)

• Admin
For those who said it's a battery issue, you get a prize. I swapped out the battery and the engine turns over with much greater vigor. I think it's been fading for quite some time. My battery is the original '02 Porsche battery that came with the car. Lasted quite a while. Sweet.

The clutch switch also needed to be swapped out for my morning zero engine crank action issue.

7 years on your battery - wow, now that is living on borrowed time. Most batteries last 4-5 years.

Yes, you can donate using a credit card. Just click on the "Continue" link that says "Don't have a PayPal account?".

Glad it is fixed..what's the prize...LOL

7 years on your battery - wow, now that is living on borrowed time. Most batteries last 4-5 years.

Yes, you can donate using a credit card. Just click on the "Continue" link that says "Don't have a PayPal account?".

Done. Thx, sir.

Car is dialed in. Thx for the assist. This site is very valuable. it's like the 911 wizards live her.e

Glad it is fixed..what's the prize...LOL

you can call me a renntech brother now :D

That's awesome. This site has saved many of us countless piles of cash. :D That reminds me.. It's time for me to donate again.

:renntech:

i think the fact that this forum tends to be more issues focused... it'll keep me from getting banned like on rennlist and 6speed.

it's when people come on posting up pics of their cars and mods and cheerleading it when clearly it's a pos/questionable... I can't handle keeping my keyboard shut - the simon cowell attitude comes out (which i personally find very refreshing/entertaining). :D

if the car ain't cranking at all but electrics come on and it tends to occur when the car is cold, it's likely the clutch switch. when mostly warm, then it may be the starter engine which i understand is about $200 with a $500 core charge at sunset imports (rebuilt model which comes with the same 2- year parts warranty).

if the car is cranking with hesitation... it's likely your battery esp if you're on the original in a 996 (even if the voltage looks good)

Edited by Benjamin Choi

if the car ain't cranking at all but electrics come on and it tends to occur when the car is cold, it's likely the clutch switch. when mostly warm, then it may be the starter engine which i understand is about $200 with a $500 core charge at sunset imports (rebuilt model which comes with the same 2- year parts warranty).

if the car is cranking with hesitation... it's likely your battery esp if you're on the original in a 996 (even if the voltage looks good)

Well, that depends. If your battery is very weak, all the electronics may come on but if you try to start the car, the load may be too high for the battery and the car won't even crank. This is more pronounced when the temperature is low, since the battery has less usable power then. A weak battery may crank the engine slowly when the weather is warm and not at all when the weather is cold. Also, the volt meter may read a healthy 12 volts but that's under almost no load and doesn't give you an accurate battery condition reading. I've had the same experience with my S4 and it ended being just a very weak battery.

Anyway, glad you figured it out!

Well, that depends. If your battery is very weak, all the electronics may come on but if you try to start the car, the load may be too high for the battery and the car won't even crank. This is more pronounced when the temperature is low, since the battery has less usable power then. A weak battery may crank the engine slowly when the weather is warm and not at all when the weather is cold. Also, the volt meter may read a healthy 12 volts but that's under almost no load and doesn't give you an accurate battery condition reading. I've had the same experience with my S4 and it ended being just a very weak battery.

Anyway, glad you figured it out!

true, but the test then is to pump your clutch while the key is fully turned to the right and if it starts, likely the clutch switch (this is what happened with mine)

good points all around. great thread. seems like this is very common .

My first Porsche battery experience was in 1975 - just bought a 71 911T from my brother. He left the country and then the car wouldn't start. Went to the dealer and found out that there were two 6 volt batteries to be replaced - one in each front fender well. Maybe $160 ($80 each??) but in 1975 that was a lot of money to me.

My first Porsche battery experience was in 1975 - just bought a 71 911T from my brother. He left the country and then the car wouldn't start. Went to the dealer and found out that there were two 6 volt batteries to be replaced - one in each front fender well. Maybe $160 ($80 each??) but in 1975 that was a lot of money to me.

that's a ton of dough for batteries esp given that a brand new 996 battery 2009 costs $120.

• Admin

that's a ton of dough for batteries esp given that a brand new 996 battery 2009 costs $120.

I replaced the battery in my MY99 in 2004 - so I was lucky and got 5 years. At that time I paid $69 for an Autozone battery.

It is now just about 5 years later and the Autozone battery is still fine - still I expect to replace it by the end of the year. And the price is now $89.

post-1-1240435818_thumb.png

I replaced the battery in my MY99 in 2004 - so I was lucky and got 5 years. At that time I paid $69 for an Autozone battery.

It is now just about 5 years later and the Autozone battery is still fine - still I expect to replace it by the end of the year. And the price is now $89.

post-1-1240435818_thumb.png

Interesting that the install is characterized as "labor intensive" - obviously Autozone isn't familiar with P-cars :)