Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hey All,

I

I live in Minnesota and plan to purchase a 2003-4 C4S as a daily driver. Yes I am crazy, but I figure if my wife can drive a Mazda MX5 all year then I can handle a C4S all year. Is there anyone who has some experience in this, who can give me some advice on tires, or handling in the snow?

Thanks,

Rich

Greetings from Stillwater, MN! I actually do drive my 2003 C4S all winter. I spoke to the team at Tirerack for advice, and went with Blizzaks, which typically get great reviews. These were not available in the widths for the C4S rear tires, so I went with a new set of wheels for winter too. I went 18X8 in the front and 18X9.5 for the rear. As a lifetime MN resident, I can confirm that wider is NOT better for snow.

This was two seasons ago, so there might be more options in sizing now.

With the right tires the car is just great in the winter. Very secure feeling, and the best (most even) heating system I have had yet. Great seat-heaters too!

You might consider a clear-bra to protect from the sand and salt they use so much.

Edited by Jon996

Greetings from Stillwater, MN! I actually do drive my 2003 C4S all winter. I spoke to the team at Tirerack for advice, and went with Blizzaks, which typically get great reviews. These were not available in the widths for the C4S rear tires, so I went with a new set of wheels for winter too. I went 18X8 in the front and 18X9.5 for the rear. As a lifetime MN resident, I can confirm that wider is NOT better for snow.

This was two seasons ago, so there might be more options in sizing now.

With the right tires the car is just great in the winter. Very secure feeling, and the best (most even) heating system I have had yet. Great seat-heaters too!

You might consider a clear-bra to protect from the sand and salt they use so much.

I have only lived in MN for a year and a half--from New England. I was thinking I might need to get a set of winter tires/wheels. Its good to know that you have had a positive experience with your C4S in winter. If you ever find yourself in Woodbury, I run the Trader Joe's there, stop in.

Thanks,

Rich

Hey All,

I

I live in Minnesota and plan to purchase a 2003-4 C4S as a daily driver. Yes I am crazy, but I figure if my wife can drive a Mazda MX5 all year then I can handle a C4S all year. Is there anyone who has some experience in this, who can give me some advice on tires, or handling in the snow?

Thanks,

Rich

I have a plain C2S, which I find to be an amazingly able car in the snow. I use Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSports in the OE 18" sizes, on an inexpensive set of rims. One bonus: On a slippery surface, you can actually very safely find out how that passive self-steer feature of the rear suspension works. I was shocked at how easily the car can be collected up again even if you deliberately get it sideways, which itself is not as easy to do as you might think. I've found the 996 more confidence inspiring and useful in the snow than any of my BMWs were.

Don't even THINK of running your summer tires in the winter. Below 5C or so, performance rubber turns into hockey pucks. Even if you rarely see snow, winter tires are essential in cold weather, IMHO.

The only issue, of course, is ground clearance. Nothing you can do about that. You may occasionally find yourself replacing brake cooling ducts (dirt cheap).

The car is very resistant to rust with reasonable care. This spring, I had all the covers removed from underneath the car and had the whole thing washed down. It was in very good shape. However, as I've learned the hard way (apologies for anyone who's heard this story one too many times), the rads don't love salt. I'd have them disassembled and cleaned annually if I were you.

I think you'll really love it.

Edited by BruceP

• 9 months later...

Sorry I ddn't see this post sooner.

Nearly 4 years I've driven a 1999 996 C4, daily, year round, in Utah, about 20K miles a year. I put 17" Blizzaks on seperate rims and run those during 5 months of winter. (Summer rims are 18 inch.) Blizzaks are great for snow and ice and my car is better on parking lot ice than my Yukon XL with Goodyear winter tires! Must be the Porsche Stability Management. I take the care up skiing. Everywhere. We had a really bad snow storm in February 2 years ago. A couple feed of snow dumped suddenly. Only me and a Jeep were going anywhere on the I-15, trying to get home from work. I let him go first and followed him through deep snow on shoulders. Porsche is a great winter car. The C4 is definitely needed, as are decent winter tires. The Blizzaks are reasonably quite on clear roads, and feel comfortable at speed, though I've not had them going above 100 mph, and not at that rate often. Normal freeway reach 85 mph daily and the tires are more than fine. Hope that helps.

Howdy,

Ok, so not Utah or Minnesota, but I drive my 2001 C4 all year round here in New Jersey. We have had some pretty healthy snow this year. I grew up in a Porsche family. My father always drove his 911 in the snow. The only real issue is clearance in deep snow. If it gets too deep you end up plowing your own snow.

I have the clear bra as Jon996 recommended and use the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS (i.e. dry, wet, snow). They have been great so far this winter on both snow and ice. While not a dedicated snow tire, I think they are sufficient for all but the most extreme conditions. I used to live in Cleveland and drove a Z3 year round with Dunlop Graspics and never had an issue with them either.

Good luck.

Scott