Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does a paint work devalue car without body work

The trunk has minor scratches (but deep enough that it can't be buffed out) from having a bike rack removed. I am thinking of having the dealer repaint the trunk lid.

Any negatives? There is no body damage and the paint on the rest of the car is mint.

From prior porsche dealer trade-ins, I know they always want to know about any paintwork but I suspect they are looking for signs of body repair.

Thanks,

• Moderators

There is no devaluation if you take pics of the damage, before, during and after the works, to have some proof of evidence. Together with the invoice, it will be OK.

I agree with RFM as it pertains to your specific car and year. I would add that you should work with a very reputable paint shop too.

But the same question, for say a 993TT, the answer would be slightly different. I think the cult following, limited production numbers, and level of the Porsche enthusiast effects the answer and outcome.

Would you have dealer repaint or a reputable paint shop? I suppose if I stick with the dealer they will now why it was painted when it is trade-in time..in addition to taking pics as suggested.

Thanks,

• Admin
Would you have dealer repaint or a reputable paint shop? I suppose if I stick with the dealer they will now why it was painted when it is trade-in time..in addition to taking pics as suggested.

Thanks,

I doubt the dealer does their own paint work - few do. Ask them who does there work and get 2 or 3 quotes from reputable body shops.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with RFM. The paintwork will devalue the car if it's not done correctly, will always show up thicker with a paint meter, and if the entire panel needs paint it will almost certainly involve blending into other panels to achieve a proper color match. Private party buyers may not care, but if you plan on trading in one day be prepared to take a hit no matter how perfect the paint is and how well you document it. Your car now has a "story," something that you'll feel compelled to disclose when you sell and will weigh on the purchaser's decision.

I'd suggest that before you spend four figures at a body shop to correct the scratches, contact a reputable detailer (try autopia.org for a referral and some great "portfolios"). You'd be amazed what an experienced detailer can do with some touch-up paint and detailing tools. Think of it this way: before adding all that paint, why not spend relatively little money to see what it looks like touched-up? You may be pleasantly surprised. If you're not, head to the body shop and paint over it.

Mark

I disagree with RFM. The paintwork will devalue the car if it's not done correctly, will always show up thicker with a paint meter, and if the entire panel needs paint it will almost certainly involve blending into other panels to achieve a proper color match. Private party buyers may not care, but if you plan on trading in one day be prepared to take a hit no matter how perfect the paint is and how well you document it. Your car now has a "story," something that you'll feel compelled to disclose when you sell and will weigh on the purchaser's decision.

I'd suggest that before you spend four figures at a body shop to correct the scratches, contact a reputable detailer (try autopia.org for a referral and some great "portfolios"). You'd be amazed what an experienced detailer can do with some touch-up paint and detailing tools. Think of it this way: before adding all that paint, why not spend relatively little money to see what it looks like touched-up? You may be pleasantly surprised. If you're not, head to the body shop and paint over it.

Mark

Thanks for all the input. I will try the detail route first. Interesting, when I bought the car as CPO-the dealer chose not to paint/ repair it stating that they could not sell a car as CPO if it had any paintwork.

Thanks for all the input. I will try the detail route first. Interesting, when I bought the car as CPO-the dealer chose not to paint/ repair it stating that they could not sell a car as CPO if it had any paintwork.

I say good decision. I'd buy a new or used piece and have it painted if it bothered me too much. Put the scratched part in storage. You can always put the original part back on and advertise it as "all original paint."

We are starting to see this become important even on original 911Ts. And preservation classes are on the rise from Monterey and Amelia Island to PCA. Even the very rich collectors are thinking twice about over-restoring rare original automobiles.

Will your car ever reach this status? Maybe not, but certainly less likely with repainting.

I know of a 246 Dino with a dent that the owner will not repair until (if and when) it needs a total restoration.

I wish the first owners of my 914 had thought along these lines!