Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Convertible Top Foam and Seals

Hello all,

I have the, what seams to be common, convertible top leak issue with my 986 (2000). I recently had to replace my ECU over it at the lovely price of $1800 (:o) due to water damage inside the cabin. I've been using a car cover lately, as I don't have a garage or car port to store it.

After looking through Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, I'm fairly confident that I can replace the top with little trouble. My question lies in the foam and seals. I found replacements at PelicanParts.com, but $1k for a piece of foam is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Has anyone found any other options for replacing those things? I figure I might as well get it all done while I have the top off.

Chris

• Admin
Hello all,

I have the, what seams to be common, convertible top leak issue with my 986 (2000). I recently had to replace my ECU over it at the lovely price of $1800 (:o) due to water damage inside the cabin. I've been using a car cover lately, as I don't have a garage or car port to store it.

After looking through Mike Focke's Boxster Pages, I'm fairly confident that I can replace the top with little trouble. My question lies in the foam and seals. I found replacements at PelicanParts.com, but $1k for a piece of foam is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Has anyone found any other options for replacing those things? I figure I might as well get it all done while I have the top off.

Chris

:welcome:

Do a search here as several owners have had similar problems and most are fixed for little or no money.

Start by checking that the drains (under the top) are clear - you can test them with a pitcher of water.

Many folks here with good advice.

BTW... if they replaced the control unit under the drivers seat that would be the alarm/central locking control unit not the Engine Control Unit.

Hello all,

Chris

Chris:

It's not a leak, but rather, clogged drains or torn/damaged drain trays.

If you are referring to the two foam seals that sit under the aluminum shoulder plates, those are very elusive parts indeed.

AFAIK, they were only made available by Porsche as part of a kit that was supplied with a new, OEM replacement top.

It's easier to make a pair out of closed-cell foam.

I,for one, am curious to know the part number that you found at Pelican Parts.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 months later...
but $1k for a piece of foam is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Has anyone found any other options for replacing those things? I figure I might as well get it all done while I have the top off.

I have the same problem, my foam is completely ripped and teared. Someone tried to fix it but failed miserably.

Let us know if you find a solution somewhere.

.tuomas

but $1k for a piece of foam is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Has anyone found any other options for replacing those things? I figure I might as well get it all done while I have the top off.

I have the same problem, my foam is completely ripped and teared. Someone tried to fix it but failed miserably.

Let us know if you find a solution somewhere.

.tuomas

Placid:

There seems to be something lost in translation in this thread. If you are referring to the foam seals that are inside the top, in the edge that is over the windows (under the aluminum shoulder plates), you can make them yourself.

If that is the case, take a look at the photos of these elusive seals. I took the photos when I was replacing my top with a factory top that came with kit containing the seals: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

The photos are in section 4.

If you are talking about the foam drain trays, that is another question entirely. :P

Regards, Maurice.

If you are talking about the foam drain trays, that is another question entirely. :P

I think I spent too many hours checking out the car and reading the forums so my eyes were bleeding.

What I was looking was the drain trays alright. I transferred my problem to part number questions: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28513

Thanks for the great photoset!

Edited by placid

I think I spent too many hours checking out the car and reading the forums so my eyes were bleeding.

What I was looking was the drain trays alright. I transferred my problem to part number queries (gaskets).

Thanks for the great photoset!

Placid:

At least you must have learned a lot from all your reading! :lol:

Repairing/sealing the foam drain trays is usually possible, depending on how badly torn up they are.

Post some photos so that we can have a look at how bad they are.

Replacing them completely is also a DIY and requires removal and re-installation of the entire top and frame assembly. That procedure is MUCH easier than stripping off and replacing the canvas part of the top.

Regards, Maurice.

Replacing them completely is also a DIY and requires removal and re-installation of the entire top and frame assembly. That procedure is MUCH easier than stripping off and replacing the canvas part of the top.

Regards, Maurice.

This picture is from the right side. It is pretty bad I think, notice the hole that has been made in order to access the bolt underneath, DUH! After removing the transmissions and bolts for the top, drain tray is hanging far away from the body and the water went straight in as the gaskets are what they are...

I think that DIY was not ex-owners thing, I am so glad that the box under driver's seat wasn't damaged.

I have some black Loctite 5922 around that would do the trick if the damage was smaller. First I was thinking about patching the big hole(s) with similar material and sealing with Loctite but in the end I am not sure how good it would last.

post-46998-1250086631_thumb.jpg

post-46998-1250086695_thumb.jpg

post-46998-1250086706_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

This picture is from the right side. It is pretty bad I think, notice the hole that has been made in order to access the bolt underneath, DUH! After removing the transmissions and bolts for the top, drain tray is hanging far away from the body and the water went straight in as the gaskets are what they are...

I think that DIY was not ex-owners thing, I am so glad that the box under driver's seat wasn't damaged.

I have some black Loctite 5922 around that would do the trick if the damage was smaller. First I was thinking about patching the big hole(s) with similar material and sealing with Loctite but in the end I am not sure how good it would last.

Placid:

Nice pics. They tell the whole story.

Definitely recommend replacing them.

It's not worth taking a chance on sealing them because the damage is pretty bad. You already know that if you get a leak into the passenger compartment you could be looking at an expensive repair or replacement of the central alarm control unit.

Do a search here for the procedure on the top and frame assembly removal, or go to Mike Focke's pages for the same procedure: http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/thetop-i...e%26replacement

Look under the subheading "Removing the Top and Frame".

Regards, Maurice.

Thank you Maurice, I will order the replacement parts and get some bolts with big plastic washers to make the trays stick better.

I have been busy trying to dry the carpets, I guess I have to remove the seats next weekend.

There was no unit under the passanger side but a black box under drivers seat. Fortunately water did not reach that far.

Thank you Maurice, I will order the replacement parts and get some bolts with big plastic washers to make the trays stick better.

I have been busy trying to dry the carpets, I guess I have to remove the seats next weekend.

There was no unit under the passanger side but a black box under drivers seat. Fortunately water did not reach that far.

When you remove the seats, make sure that you disconnect the battery and remove the key from the ignition if you are going to be disconnecting the main connector under each seat. Otherwise you will set off the airbag light.

Make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery.

The black box is the central alarm control unit. The fact that it didn't get wet means that you dodged a bullet.

Also, although the 4 bolts holding down the seat rails are torx bolts, you can use a 1/4 drive 10mm socket to remove them in a pinch.

Finally, the wires under the seat are long enough to allow you to set the seat down on a small platform outside and next to the door sill without disconnecting the main connector if you don't want to undo that connector.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 weeks later...