Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 996 C2 Tyre size increase

Has anyone got experience of using 295/30x18 rears with 235/40x18 fronts on a 996 C2 Coupe ?

I've got a 2004 C2 with the standard 285/30x18 rears & 225/40x18 fronts & want to improve dry grip by fitting Pirelli PZero Corsa's - which I believe are a better compromise than the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres for mainly road use - but with occasional track day outings.

(Everything I've seen suggests the Michelin Cups are a better track tyre - but need more warming up than the Corsas)

My existing Pirelli PZero Rosso's are about worn out - so now's the time to have a look at the options !

Unfortunately the Corsa's are only available in the slightly wider 295 / 235 widths (as fitted to the 996 GT3) - so I want to be sure there won't be fitting problems before I order them.

I've read on other forums & in the Renntech forums where owners have fitted the GT3 tyre sizes that they fit without rubbing on inner or outer wheel arches (front or rear) - albeit on wider rims than the standard 10inch rears / 8 inch fronts that I have. As the GT3 uses the narrow C2 body without wheel arch modifications if I understand correctly, it would make sense that they should fit without issues.

Has anyone direct experience of using these tyre sizes on a C2 & if so were there problems ?

I don't think C4 fitment is relevant as the wider rear I guess should result in no problems.

Thanks for any input - Paul

2004 C2 Anniversary

(UK (RHD) spec C2 Coupe including standard 345 bhp engine, sports suspension, manual gearbox etc)

I have 235/40R18 up front without any problems (street, track, autocross). The regular C4 is a narrow body like the C2. The C4S is the wide body like the Turbo.

BTW, if you're looking for a street performance tire, take a look at the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 (or new model AD08). I came off Rossos (hated them) and the Yokohamas have been phenomenal all around. Probably not as good on the track as a DOT-legal competition tire like the Corsa, but when it rains the Yokohama probably evacuates water a little better.

Smackboy, thanks for the response, the fronts were more of a concern than the rear due to the steering movement. The rears appear to have lots of clearance around them.

Thanks for reminding me that the C4S has the wide body not the "basic" C4.

I think the tyres will be on the car next weekend !

Paul

I had 17" on my 02 996 C2. Got rid of these & bought stock sport technos rims 18 X 8 & 18 X 11 that were fitted with 235 and 295/30/18 PS2- They fit perfect on car no rubbing/issues- I have the X74 suspension so it's lower than stock height- -

Edited by bgrpph

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had 17" on my 02 996 C2. Got rid of these & bought stock sport technos rims 18 X 8 & 18 X 11 that were fitted with 235 and 295/30/18 PS2- They fit perfect on car no rubbing/issues- I have the X74 suspension so it's lower than stock height- -

Have you found that your car eats rear tires really quickly? I also have a C4 (Cab) with the X74 suspension. I love the handling and simplicity compared to other coilover kits.

I just went through another set of rear tires in about 7K miles and my mechanic recommended that I look at finding a cure for the lack of caster setting. I am all the way out and still have about 2 degrees of negative camber.

I spoke to the guys at TRG (The Racer Group) and they recommended swapping out my rear lower control arms with a set of GT3 arms that are adjustable. They are not cheap, so I am looking for someone who has done this before I start experimenting. I wonder if I can get add positive camber to end up with about 1 degree for street use and 2.0 or so for track days. If I change to the GT3 Lower Control arms, do I also have to go with adjustable uppers and the adjustable Tow Control arm too? Now we are getting expensive.... :eek:

Thanks for any tips or tricks....

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I've now got the larger Pirelli PZero Corsas fitted - 235/40x18 front on 8inch standard rims & 295/30x18 rear on 10inch standard rims.

The tyres are superb ! Grip is unbelievable compared to the previous "standard" Pirelii PZero Rosso's (which seemed good compared to experience of these on my previous BMW M3s).

Even with the PSM switched off & trying to provoke them causes no loss of grip (in the dry) - whereas powerslides were easy in 2nd gear with the Rosso's. Very mild understeer of the standard C2 appears further reduced & the old saying "corners like its on rails" definitely appears true !

Grip in the wet appears absolutely no problem - don't even have to think about it - whereas I've heard bad things about Michelin Pilot Sport Cups - unless they're warmed up first.

Very minor noise increase compared to the Rosso's, but ride quality has improved slightly over ridges, small bumps etc (probably effect of slightly taller sidewall on the larger width (+10mm on the standard tyres for my spec.) OR maybe softer sidewall)

The tyres appear very round / easy to balance - as there is no steering wheel wobble at any speed (achievable on UK roads !).

The increased width front & rear does not cause any rubbing with arches on bump or cornering. It appears that at least another 10mm width increase is possible without concerns - as suggested by another poster.

Biggest cause for concern is rarity - I could only source these tyres through 1 of the local OPC's. The OPCs pay Pirelli more than "normal" tyre depots so that they get preference. If I hadn't gone via the OPC, all other depots were telling me that they could only get 3 tyres - without any known promise date for the remainder because of manufacturing backlog / low priority in Pirelli Europe.

I can't wait to try them on my next Track Day in a few weeks.

Enjoy your cars !

Paul

2004 C2 Anniversary

(345 Hp engine, M030 suspension, LSD, 18 inch etc)

Has anyone got experience of using 295/30x18 rears with 235/40x18 fronts on a 996 C2 Coupe ?

I've got a 2004 C2 with the standard 285/30x18 rears & 225/40x18 fronts & want to improve dry grip by fitting Pirelli PZero Corsa's - which I believe are a better compromise than the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres for mainly road use - but with occasional track day outings.

(Everything I've seen suggests the Michelin Cups are a better track tyre - but need more warming up than the Corsas)

My existing Pirelli PZero Rosso's are about worn out - so now's the time to have a look at the options !

Unfortunately the Corsa's are only available in the slightly wider 295 / 235 widths (as fitted to the 996 GT3) - so I want to be sure there won't be fitting problems before I order them.

I've read on other forums & in the Renntech forums where owners have fitted the GT3 tyre sizes that they fit without rubbing on inner or outer wheel arches (front or rear) - albeit on wider rims than the standard 10inch rears / 8 inch fronts that I have. As the GT3 uses the narrow C2 body without wheel arch modifications if I understand correctly, it would make sense that they should fit without issues.

Has anyone direct experience of using these tyre sizes on a C2 & if so were there problems ?

I don't think C4 fitment is relevant as the wider rear I guess should result in no problems.

Thanks for any input - Paul

2004 C2 Anniversary

(UK (RHD) spec C2 Coupe including standard 345 bhp engine, sports suspension, manual gearbox etc)

Hi I have had 295-30-19's on both a 00' GT3, and a 99' C2 GT3 clone, I would have to say it all comes down to the rims. The rims on the C2 are Race Spec. 3pc. wheels from Champion Motorsports. I am not sure of the offset on them. But I can tell you that both of the cars are tucked in the rear. no rubbing issues, allthough I believe the quarters are rolled.