Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Question: When to add more?

Looking for some guidance on adding oil to my 2003 996TT. I had my last oil change 4,000 miles ago and after some heavy use recently I ran the oil check on a level surface and noticed that the oil indicator was one bar above halfway. Wanted some advice on:

1) Should I add more to take it to full?

2) Should I just add a little to get to say 3/4 full?

3) Should I add none just wait for another 1,000 and do an oil change?

4) None of the above :)

Thanks.

--BM

I don't get it.

If the indicator is one bar above halfway, why do you want to add oil? The whole circuit contains about 11 liters. When the indicator is down, it takes about 1 liter to fill up. So now, instead of 11l, you have now more than 10.5l in the circuit, or more than 95% full. Besides, the indicator has been configured to show how much oil is above minimum. As long as it's not fully down, you're more than safe. Or do you also fiill up your gas tank every time the level is coming near to the half? ;)

About the oil change: changing oil early seems to be the hobby of many people in the US. ;) Here in Europe, we usually stick to what Porsche recommends. And I doubt our engines are running worse than yours. But maybe we don't drive hard enough. :D

So my short answer would be: 4).

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre: I tend to agree with you. Here in the US...it seems that more is better and we baby our cars. I see folks regularly changing oil at 3,000 mile intervals. (If your car sits for a year, I would consider changing out the oil, but mine is a DD) IMO This is a waste of money, time, and good oil. Although I can't hold to the recommended 15,000 mile interval Porsche suggests, I do go 7500-8,000 miles between changes. With the TT, it tends to eat oil at the rate of a quart every 1500 miles or so, some report a quart in less than 1,000 miles, so in effect, you're "freshening" up your oil incrementally as you go.

I keep checking the color of the oil and as long as it has the nice light coffee color to it, I'm content to leave it alone and just add as needed, but I also leave it one hash mark below the full mark. Each hash mark indicates about a fourth of a quart.

Edited by Chuck Jones

Pierre: I tend to agree with you. Here in the US...it seems that more is better and we baby our cars. I see folks regularly changing oil at 3,000 mile intervals. (If your car sits for a year, I would consider changing out the oil, but mine is a DD) IMO This is a waste of money, time, and good oil. Although I can't hold to the recommended 15,000 mile interval Porsche suggests, I do go 7500-8,000 miles between changes. With the TT, it tends to eat oil at the rate of a quart every 1500 miles or so, some report a quart in less than 1,000 miles, so in effect, you're "freshening" up your oil incrementally as you go.

I keep checking the color of the oil and as long as it has the nice light coffee color to it, I'm content to leave it alone and just add as needed, but I also leave it one hash mark below the full mark. Each hash mark indicates about a fourth of a quart.

While some change their car's oil that (3000 miles) frequently, not all. In fact I would hazard a guess most don't change oil nearly that often and may not even adhere to Porsche's oil change schedule. Recently in a market for a used Porsche and found several used ones. Looked at one Cayman S with less than 10K miles but car put into service Sept. 06 and has not had one oil change.

Read a Porsche magazine's contributor to reader's cars efforts to find a nice used Boxster and he wrote he found a lot of cars but when he asked about services, oil/filter changes, he was often met with blank stare or with the reply the car had never had one.

Europe usage is different. Better (higher octane) gas and less time idling, sitting in traffic.

Cars also I think get driven more. Tech at local dealer just back from engine training (on new DFI engine) told me in Europe these cars bought to be driven, here they are bought to be stored.

My '02 Boxster -- since I bought it new -- has seen 5000 mile oil/filter services and will continue to do so. Recently car reached the 222K mile mark and runs as good as ever.

My '03 Turbo -- bought used -- was treated to its first oil/filter service since in my possession -- last one done last Oct. but I don't know at what mileage (I bought car with 9400 miles on it) -- at around the 10K mile marker and will also receive 5000 mile oil/filter services.

Sincerely,

Macster.