Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rattling muffler and a cracked windshield.

I went to the track on Saturday, car ran great but I picked up a rock chip in the front windscreen along the way, initially it didn't look too bad but by the next morning it had extended to an 8 inch crack! I wonder how much a new windshield will cost, I hear it might be $1K. Then to make things worse my left side PSE is rattling like somebody left a bier can inside of it. It has always had a very subtle rattle that went away after I tightened everything up but now it's back . I can't say I'm very impressed with the PSE durability at this point. Luckily they should still be under warranty, FWIW they are the early 3.4L style PSE with the smaller bypass pipes. Anyone else have this experience??

Edited by dj996

I only notice the rattle at low idle when the car is warm. As matter of fact I took it to the dealer today and, of course, the car wouldn't do it.

BTW the windshield is something like $550 plus install, less than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well the muffler is still rattling, It stopped for a while with the new tip but now it's worse than ever. I took a look and it appears the heat shield that connects to the valve is very loose. On the whole I would have to say I am very disappointed with the quality, or lack of, on the PSE. I guess anything with valves etc is bound to fail eventually. If I can get them to warranty it fine, otherwise I'll just get rid of them and find another high quality aftermarket muffler, like Ruf, but not as expensive. I'm really pissed :censored:

Braincutter, the labor was about $140 or so on the windshield. FWIW the CGT that was at the track that day also cracked his windshield from flying debris, I would hate to see his bill! It appears they did some work on the track recently and now 3 cars I know of have some sort of damage...

Edited by dj996

• Admin

For my 2 cents...

I'm not sure of the quality being a problem on the PSE. What I have seen is two or three PSE's delivered in a box that looked like it was run over by a truck. I don't think the shipping packaging done by Porsche is very good. If you compare it to say the Litronics that come double boxed and foam lined. Considering the cost they (or their vendor) really should package them better for shipping.

End of :soapbox:

True enough Loren, I bought them from the local dealer so I never saw how they arrived. I wonder how much trouble it would be to simply wack out the valves and replace them with appropriate sized tubing? Right now the car sounds ridiculous with the rattle, but I'm sure they will warranty it since it is less than 2 years old.

True enough Loren, I bought them from the local dealer so I never saw how they arrived. I wonder how much trouble it would be to simply wack out the valves and replace them with appropriate sized tubing? Right now the car sounds ridiculous with the rattle, but I'm sure they will warranty it since it is less than 2 years old.

I just went through the same thing you did. Brought it to the dealer and they couldn't hear the rattle so, I had to warm the car up and let the idle drop down and then they heard it. It really was making a lot of noise. It was a combination of a heat shield loose and one of the catalyst converter bad. They changed it out and it even sounds a little bit better with my PSE. :P