Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Carrera 2 Performance

Hi,

I have a 2003 996 C2 STOCK and am looking for some direction on getting more HP out of the car. A friend of mine has a M3 and is starting to annoy me when he can pull away from me on straights. I tend to get beat up on by guys with WRX Sti's and mildly tuned M3's...sometimes even stock M3's. I essentially want to lay the smack down with my Porsche hand. My goal is to get around 50-100 more HP. What is the best way to accomplish this.

I was going to do the fabspeed muffler bypass, chip remapping, intake(would like some recommendations if possible. I saw the K&N and doubt it really produces 23 HP+ come on). What else can I do to stay within a $3000 budget?? Do I really need to fork over $10K for a TPC supercharger? Seems pretty ridiculous that a guy with a corvette can pickup a supercharger for like $2K and a 996 one is over $10K. Any thoughts on maybe putting a new cam in and heads( even though this is going over my budget? There has to be some guys out there that have very fast Carrera 2's that can run with some of these mildly tuned M3's right?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Hi,

I have a 2003 996 C2 STOCK and am looking for some direction on getting more HP out of the car. A friend of mine has a M3 and is starting to annoy me when he can pull away from me on straights. I tend to get beat up on by guys with WRX Sti's and mildly tuned M3's...sometimes even stock M3's. I essentially want to lay the smack down with my Porsche hand. My goal is to get around 50-100 more HP. What is the best way to accomplish this.

I was going to do the fabspeed muffler bypass, chip remapping, intake(would like some recommendations if possible. I saw the K&N and doubt it really produces 23 HP+ come on). What else can I do to stay within a $3000 budget?? Do I really need to fork over $10K for a TPC supercharger? Seems pretty ridiculous that a guy with a corvette can pickup a supercharger for like $2K and a 996 one is over $10K. Any thoughts on maybe putting a new cam in and heads( even though this is going over my budget? There has to be some guys out there that have very fast Carrera 2's that can run with some of these mildly tuned M3's right?

Although I have not modded a Porsche, I have modded other cars and my experience has been that the gains seen on bolt ons are marginal at best unless your car has force induction already. If you want to see real HP gain, I am afraid you will need to go with force induction like a turbo or supercharger. If you are going to dump 10k for a supercharger, my advice to you is to just save up and just buy a 996 turbo and sell your existing car. There is a lot of work involved in turnning a non force induction car into a force induction car if you are going to do it the right way.

that seems pretty crazy. I know guys with M3's and Vette's that dont have to spend neaarly as much for the HP gains. I guess Porsche's can't really be tuned without big bucks. I suspect its because of the small engine compartment. My buddy put a vortec supercharger on his vette for like $3000...i actually think it was closer to $2500

Hi,

Although I have not modded a Porsche, I have modded other cars and my experience has been that the gains seen on bolt ons are marginal at best unless your car has force induction already. If you want to see real HP gain, I am afraid you will need to go with force induction like a turbo or supercharger. If you are going to dump 10k for a supercharger, my advice to you is to just save up and just buy a 996 turbo and sell your existing car. There is a lot of work involved in turnning a non force induction car into a force induction car if you are going to do it the right way.

that seems pretty crazy. I know guys with M3's and Vette's that dont have to spend neaarly as much for the HP gains. I guess Porsche's can't really be tuned without big bucks. I suspect its because of the small engine compartment. My buddy put a vortec supercharger on his vette for like $3000...i actually think it was closer to $2500

The difference between your friend's Corvette and your C2 is technology. Your flat six is a pretty unique engine with exotic materials, high compression, and other goodies that extract optimum performance while remaining efficient, reliable, and emissions-friendly. Adding forced induction to the motor costs cubic dollars because of the rare engineering characteristics that need to be accounted for. A Corvette is big displacement and pushrods, technology that's been complimented by widespread aftermarket modifications for decades; Porsche's engines tend to undergo significant changes every product cycle.

Getting more Porsche usually means buying another car. Turbos are an exception, since it's relatively easy to re-map for higher boost, but it's always at a cost to reliability and drivability.

Good news for you is that Porsches are dirt cheap right now. If you want more car (and are willing to extend your budget a bit) you could feasibly sell yours and get into something newer and meaner. One caveat--any Porsche you get will be engineered for superior handling, less so straight-line performance. Latter-day M3s and STis have comparable horsepower and power-to-weight ratios, so you're playing a numbers game that's tough to win. If you're looking to smoke tires and outrun cars from zero-to-sixty, maybe a Porsche isn't the best tool for the job.

Mark

maybe this would do the triick :D

hahha.... funny, (funny car to be accurate)

I'm not sure what the 10k kit includes, but in order to properly add force induction there are alot of other things you may need to get for example, upgraded fuel pump, additional oil / trans cooler, ECU mapping, intercooler, and much more. And of course if you are going to go fast, you also need to be able to stop fast which means upgraded brakes. There are usually issues associated with aftermarket parts, after the whole ordeal you will probably realize it is much better to just get a car that is already has force induction stock.

thanks for your input. I think I am going to wait a few years and then pickup a used 997 twin turbo or GT3RS. or maybe a that time a new turbo...who knows. I guess for the time being I will get stomped.....but at least I know what needs to be done. I mainly bought my car for the handling, feedback, looks, driveability, NOT FOR DRAG RACING. Its just these douche bags in M3's, corvette's and Sti's giving me problems and always wanting to try to take me at a light. I have however settled a bet with my friend. He can beat me all day on straights but on a race track is a different story. I think for now I will stick with my C2 and anytime he talks crap I will invite him to my local track for a hot lap.....I might even pickup a Chevelle SS 454 with a blower just for my M3 and Vette racing....its not worth it.

i plan on upgrading the suspension pretty soon.

Thanks for your help

Beau

The difference between your friend's Corvette and your C2 is technology. Your flat six is a pretty unique engine with exotic materials, high compression, and other goodies that extract optimum performance while remaining efficient, reliable, and emissions-friendly. Adding forced induction to the motor costs cubic dollars because of the rare engineering characteristics that need to be accounted for. A Corvette is big displacement and pushrods, technology that's been complimented by widespread aftermarket modifications for decades; Porsche's engines tend to undergo significant changes every product cycle.

Getting more Porsche usually means buying another car. Turbos are an exception, since it's relatively easy to re-map for higher boost, but it's always at a cost to reliability and drivability.

Good news for you is that Porsches are dirt cheap right now. If you want more car (and are willing to extend your budget a bit) you could feasibly sell yours and get into something newer and meaner. One caveat--any Porsche you get will be engineered for superior handling, less so straight-line performance. Latter-day M3s and STis have comparable horsepower and power-to-weight ratios, so you're playing a numbers game that's tough to win. If you're looking to smoke tires and outrun cars from zero-to-sixty, maybe a Porsche isn't the best tool for the job.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Wise choice.... just remember at the end of the day when all is said and done. A Corvette is still an American car, an M3 is still a BMW, while a 911 is still a 911... :D

This is the bottom line isnt it really...

I have the same discussions with people around here.

They tell me how the new Nissan GTR will beat the my C2, not to mention most other cars.

Over here in Oz they are around 160,000 AUD for a GTR and about the same for a low mile 996TT.

My response is always the same. When the day is done THEY'LL be driving a Nissan... I wont.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a MY2000 C2, stick shift, I dont drag race, but I have noticed that I am quite slow at traffic lights, because the 1st gear is only usable to about 25 mph (after that the rpm's rise, without much gain in speed), after that a shift is needed to second gear. I was curious how others deal with slow start situation ?. Do you rev more in first gear ?, start in second gear ?.

This slowness is embarassing because most cars on the road are automatic today, and they obviously start off quite smoothly and quickly.

Thanks...

NOT FOR DRAG RACING. Its just these douche bags in M3's, corvette's and Sti's giving me problems and always wanting to try to take me at a light.
It doesn't matter if you are the guy who initiates the street race or the who gets baited into one. You are both douchebags.