Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

"rough" paint on door panel, along the top few inches

Hi All,

Overall the paint on my new to me '01 Box S is in great shape for an 8 yr old car. Everything is smooth to the touch, except for along the nose of the car due to stone chips appropriate to the age and mileage of the car.

I however do notice that the top couple inches of each door panel, the paint feels 'rough' under the finger tips. I may break out the old claybar and run it along there a couple times with the appropriate lube. It almost feels like there are microscopic mist of tree sap or something else sticky that fell onto the car along time ago and has been embedded into the paint. I wonder if the proximity to the side mirrors has anything to do with it, and the mirror concentrating the suns rays on that area and baking the contaminant's in.

The car is black, and the paint looks fine to me, even in sunlight, just feels rough along the top few inches of both door panels...

P

Hi All,

Overall the paint on my new to me '01 Box S is in great shape for an 8 yr old car. Everything is smooth to the touch, except for along the nose of the car due to stone chips appropriate to the age and mileage of the car.

I however do notice that the top couple inches of each door panel, the paint feels 'rough' under the finger tips. I may break out the old claybar and run it along there a couple times with the appropriate lube. It almost feels like there are microscopic mist of tree sap or something else sticky that fell onto the car along time ago and has been embedded into the paint. I wonder if the proximity to the side mirrors has anything to do with it, and the mirror concentrating the suns rays on that area and baking the contaminant's in.

The car is black, and the paint looks fine to me, even in sunlight, just feels rough along the top few inches of both door panels...

P

There is a high likelihood that the car has had the doors spot painted. Instead of doing the entire door, they just feathered it out so they wouldn't have to mask or remove trim. The rough feeling is probably overspray. Try using rubbing compound on it to see if you can clean it up.

It might be as simple as having some overspray from a soft-top sealant that the previous owner sprayed to seal the top. This usually is hard to remove but can be removed with some hard rubbing and warm soapy water.

Try a light compound on a rough spot and see if it smooths it out. Clay can pick up contaminants pretty well, but some hard-bonded stuff won't come loose so you have to rub it away. I had this problem with a tree near a house I used to live in, it would seasonally spray my car with sap that was a pain to get off.

i tried claying it with the mother's system last night... didn't really remove it. I'm going with the top sealant overspray as my diagnosis at the moment..... I also have some Scratch X and may try that next time I give the full car a wash....

I've got some Raggtop, Optimum No Rinse, and some Waffle Weave MF towels on order.....

I didn't realize until after the Porsche that synthetic chamois were no longer the preferred method to dry a vehicle. I've had mine for the past 10+ yrs.....

i tried claying it with the mother's system last night... didn't really remove it. I'm going with the top sealant overspray as my diagnosis at the moment..... I also have some Scratch X and may try that next time I give the full car a wash....

I've got some Raggtop, Optimum No Rinse, and some Waffle Weave MF towels on order.....

I didn't realize until after the Porsche that synthetic chamois were no longer the preferred method to dry a vehicle. I've had mine for the past 10+ yrs.....

A synthetic chamois isn't terrible for drying a car, so long as you don't have hard water and you wash thoroughly. If it's 10 years old it's time to buy a new one, regardless. :)

ScratchX won't do anything but lay on filler without a lot of application and elbow grease. Get a real compound, it's easy to find them at the store. 3M rubbing compound is one that's widely available.

Try a small spot, and if it works do the rest.

Don't know why folks are saying ScratchX is a filler. Detailing forums and even the package itself says it's a mild abrasive that quickly breaks down into a polish. I'd definitely try ScratchX on your rough spots, first, before anything more severe, like rubbing compound. When using ScratchX, it requires repeated applications with fresh material, as it breaks down into polish fairly quickly (thus preventing you from easily rubbing through the clear coat). Remove the used ScratchX before adding new, as the old will dilute the new.

I've used it remove some fairly severe scratches on my hood and those pesky scratches near door handles, as well as swirl marks in various areas. Easy to use and hard to overdue.

Good stuff. Not a filler in my mind.

Jim

Scratch X is a diminishing compound not a filler.

A synthetic chamois isn't terrible for drying a car, so long as you don't have hard water and you wash thoroughly. If it's 10 years old it's time to buy a new one, regardless. :)

ScratchX won't do anything but lay on filler without a lot of application and elbow grease. Get a real compound, it's easy to find them at the store. 3M rubbing compound is one that's widely available.

Try a small spot, and if it works do the rest.