Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard to engage 2nd gear

I simply have to pull the shift back hard to get my 2nd gear in. Otherwise it will spring back when I press the gas pedal. I changed the clutch, doesn't seem to be the clutch problem. From 3rd to 6th, it's very smooth.

Do I have to adjust the shift cable or I need to have the transmission checked?

• 2 months later...

Did you get this resolved? How was the dealer with a response.

The reason I am asking is 2nd and 4th on my MY00 996 Cab is troublesome when cold. Essentially until the engine reaches operating temperature I shift 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th. Once warm 2nd and 4th are OK, but bulk periodially. I am approaching only 30k miles.

Thanks

Mark

• Moderators

This is an issue on the 6 speed Boxster transmission when it is cold which is virtually the same as a 996 transmission. I have never noticed it when driving a 6 speed, but the cars were up to operating temp when I drove them. I have a 5 speed and it is not an issue and I do not remember a 5 speed owner making the same complaint. But my 5 speed is a different transmission than the 6 speed.

The 6 speed Boxster owners claim making a cocktail of Redline and gear oil improves cold performance. Something like 2 parts of Redline to 1 part of gear oil. Redline is a synthetic but so is the factory fill. I never understood it because if Redline was the solution then why not use 100% of it.

My replacement 5 speed (on the car 20K miles now) was hard going into 2nd until the oil warmed up. It does have swepco in it which may not be the best for these trannies. Recently however it has 'loosened' up and 2nd gear is not so bad now when cold.

J2000: Is it always hard to shift to 2nd? or only when it is cold? If always then something is probably wrong with the tranny. In either case what happens if you double clutch? If it is hard to shift when hot and double clutching allows you to shift easily then you probably have a synchro problem.

TP: The reason for the cocktail is that the 75w-90 originally did not have the same additive package as the regular 80 weight gear oil (it was not 'shockproof'). Adding 1 part 80 weight gave you the 'shockproof' additive. Supposedly the 75w-90 now has the additive so the cocktail is no longer needed.

MarkC: You might want to look at your technique. When shifting to 2 and 4 make sure that you are pulling the shifter straight backwards. On the 3-4 shift you do not even need to hold the knob. The springs center the shifter in the correct side to side plane. Just put your fingers on the front part of the knob and pull straight back. 2nd is more of a problem when cold. 4th should not be a problem when cold.

My tranny is basically doomed.. trashed or.. whatever by previous owner.. Hot or cold... hard to believe. I was so embarassed when I missed the second gear in the traffic and all cars around me looking at me like..

Dealer.. couldn't count on them. Rector said it will be $3000 just to open it to see what's going on.

Porsche North American... A sorry about it email but nothing happened..

I found one 03 tranny less than 7K miles for $3500 with tranny exchange. that's probably my best bet.

Edited by J9000

Guys

Dont' get me wrong.. I really like my C2. but it's like sex.. when it's good.. it's really good. heaven.. but when it's bad.. eh.. really sucks.

when I missed my 2nd gear.. it so hard to find any other gears...

I am still trying to fix it..

Edited by J9000

If you have not tried them you might try some of the Porsche dismantlers:

www.silverstarrecyling.com in rancho cordova, ca

www.oklahomaforeign.com

"Shockproof" from the redline website:

ShockProof? Gear Oil

A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness greater than an SAE 250 grade, with the same low fluid friction as with our 80W140. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. Offers a "best of both worlds" balance of relatively low drag and the utmost in protection.

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I decided to bite the bullet and fix it. Bob in Sunnyvale got me a Porsche rebuilt for $4700 (about $700 less than the dealer) with warranty. We gonna fix the sucker. Bob suggested me to trade it in but i figure I will wait until the second or third year of 997 production or a 993 TT which Bob highly recommended.

According to Bob, 996 tranny was built with cost in mind, so there is no way to fix it except swap out the whole thing. I know there are people teasing about 997's Japanese tranny. I rather have a tranny that works or can be easiler repaired, no matter what their nationality is.