Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Owner - advice re clutch pedal action

Recently sold my 993 C2 and bought a 996tt. Its a facelift car with 48K miles, Black with black and standard. Car is fantastic - light years ahead of the 993!

Only issue I have with the car is that the clutch pedal feels like the spring is "sticky" the action is not as smooth as I reckon it should be - is there any way I can grease it etc...?

All advice welcome!

The clutch pedals on these cars are silky smooth....my first thought is that you may have an accumulator going out....search for how to check for a bad accumulator.....turn off the ignition...pump the pedal about ten times....it should go real stiff without the engine running in order to pump pentosin into the accumulator and clutch slave cylinder.....then you turn on the ignition, start the car and the clutch should immediately free up and feel smooth and easy to depress again...very common failure in these cars is for the accumulator and/or the slave cylinder to go out.

This is no big deal...not a major investment to fix....check with Sunset Porsche in Oregon...I think the accumulator is about $110 or so...not sure about the slave....but you may not need the slave....some guys just change out both "since you're already in there"...but I didn't and have had no further problems.

Your description of "stickey" has me a bit perplexed though....usually it just becomes harder to depress the clutch and the stiffness gradually increases over time.

first, please post MY and model any aftermarket equip and last maintenance...thanks. I don't know what sticky means. Never had or heard of this problem. Symptoms are not typical slave/accumulator. Perhaps the clutch needs to be bled and/or fluid changed. They are hydraulic, so no real adjustments...

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does the same from time to time.. if i move it up and down slowly i get a creeking sound like a rubber seal round the piston is sticking a little. it comes and goes depending on the weather i find.. cold wet days it's fine really hot days its creeking.. I shouldnt worry about it some wd40 on the seal might cure it i've not looked to see if you can see it from the footwell but i bet you can get to it some were.. hope this might help a little. i'm still trying to find all the creeking sounds that the rest of my interior makes... it's bloody annoying.. : )

A

• 4 weeks later...

So what would one expect to pay to have the accumulator/slave replaced? The issue I have is that when I go out to the car after setting a while, the clutch just drops to the floor and needs to be "pumped" a bit to get the clutch back to useable.

Thanks,

Doug

So what would one expect to pay to have the accumulator/slave replaced? The issue I have is that when I go out to the car after setting a while, the clutch just drops to the floor and needs to be "pumped" a bit to get the clutch back to useable.

Thanks,

Doug

Sounds more like a master cylinder leak...

Have you checked the fluid and the fluid reservoir?

...But replacing a slave or an accumulator should only be 3 hours labor, should cost about $600-700 to do (Parts cost on both items should be somewhere less than $400) and "should" last you a while...

link for accumulator

Edited by wross996TT

• Moderators

The Pentosin hydraulic fluid, which is responsible for the clutch activation via clutch master and slave cylinder, is located in the front on the left side, near the battery, under the plastic trim. The Pentosin fluid which is responsible for the servo assistance, is located in the power steering reservoir. These have two different functions, the problem you mentioned, have probably to do with a leak in the master and/or slave cylinder or lines/connectors. Check the reservoir in the front.