Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is valve cover the same from 99 to '04?

The cam covers are different from the 3.4's to the 3.6. Also, you can't just replace the cover, the cover and the head are paired sets as the two are line bored for the cams. The covers act as half of the bearing journals for the cams. At least this is true for a 3.4, I think also for a 3.6.

The cam covers are different from the 3.4's to the 3.6. Also, you can't just replace the cover, the cover and the head are paired sets as the two are line bored for the cams. The covers act as half of the bearing journals for the cams. At least this is true for a 3.4, I think also for a 3.6.

IS it possible to get the new valve cover machines to match the bore of the previous one?

Seems crazy to replace the whole cylinder head for a crack in the cam cover..... (the crack is physical and beyond welding, it got whacked by a suspension piece)

m

It might be possible, but you would have to remove the head to line bore it. And the diameter of the bore cannot be made larger so I think it would be very difficult. What year is yours (i.e. a 3,4 or a 3.6). Also what side 1-3/drivers or 4-6/passanger? If it is a 4-6 on a 3.4 there are lots of used heads available, if it is 1-3 they are much harder to find as this is the side that cracks.

It might be possible, but you would have to remove the head to line bore it. And the diameter of the bore cannot be made larger so I think it would be very difficult. What year is yours (i.e. a 3,4 or a 3.6). Also what side 1-3/drivers or 4-6/passanger? If it is a 4-6 on a 3.4 there are lots of used heads available, if it is 1-3 they are much harder to find as this is the side that cracks.

Drivers side part # 1046377r -- engine has <5k miles 3.6L 2004.

mike

My experience is with the 3.4 engine with VarioCam, where the cam cover holds the cams in place and special hold down tools are needed to remove the cam cover. I looked in my manual for the 3.6 with VarioCam Plus and the systems/heads are very different. The manual does not show the use of the hold down tools and it looks like there are caps to hold the cams that are seperate from the cover, although it looks like one cap may be built into the cover. Hard to tell exactly from the diagrams in the manual. Maybe there is someone here that has specific experience with the 3.6/VarioCam Plus heads.

When I look at the PET program it still shows the matching cylinder head/cover, and seperate number for the cover alone. I also don't see any caps not part of the cylinder head besides the one set by the sprockets.

Can you post a picture of the damage to the cover. The shop that fixed my cracked head cut out and welded in new material. Maybe they can do the same if the damage dones not include any bearing areas. Otherwise I think you maybe stuck replacing the head. I know a head for a 3.4, with cams etc. lists for about $2,800.