Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

winter storage

looking ahead to my first winter with my 07 987s and I know I should store it with clean oil and over inflate the tires a bit and plug in the battery and use a fuel stabilizer with a full tank of gas. I called my dealer to inquire how much they charge for just an oil change $225 which did not seem bad considering the parts would cost $100 as a DIY (which I have no experience with) but the service guy also said I should change the brake fluid as well before storage... is this necessary?

thanks for the thoughts

Dan

looking ahead to my first winter with my 07 987s and I know I should store it with clean oil and over inflate the tires a bit and plug in the battery and use a fuel stabilizer with a full tank of gas. I called my dealer to inquire how much they charge for just an oil change $225 which did not seem bad considering the parts would cost $100 as a DIY (which I have no experience with) but the service guy also said I should change the brake fluid as well before storage... is this necessary?

thanks for the thoughts

Dan

Dan,

I would reccomend that instead of storing your vehicle you find a few nice days each month and drive your car. Much better for the machine than sitting for extended periods of time. These cars were meant to be driven! I know that isn't the question you asked but just my 2 cents worth. And in response to your question, it is an unnecesary expense to change your brake fluid on an MY07.

R/Tom

$225 for an oil change is way too much. I pay around $115 for an oil change on my 2003 996

thanks for the thoughts

Dan

$225 for an oil change is the going rate at the dealership. Brake fluid be changed every 2 years, so on your 2007 you are pretty close to your due date. This will be about $150-250 at a dealership.

I store my car for the winter with excellent results. I don't touch the car for 5+ months.

Here are some other additional winter storage tips:

-Very clean with fresh wax

-Car Cover

-Park on hard dense rubber matts/tile. Buy at Home Depot. Rubber tile you'd see in a gym's weight room

- Buy about 8-12 1-pound industrial dessicator bags. To absorb moisture and protect leather (and any wood) interior. Put 1 or 2 each in the trunks.

-Block wheels, don't use e-brake

-Move car beginning of every month about 8-12 inches

-In Spring, when you go for the first start, put in 5th gear, and push car until you hear the engine manually turn over and and take a few "breaths". Then start with the key.

$225 for an oil change is the going rate at the dealership. Brake fluid be changed every 2 years, so on your 2007 you are pretty close to your due date. This will be about $150-250 at a dealership.

I store my car for the winter with excellent results. I don't touch the car for 5+ months.

Here are some other additional winter storage tips:

-Very clean with fresh wax

-Car Cover

-Park on hard dense rubber matts/tile. Buy at Home Depot. Rubber tile you'd see in a gym's weight room

- Buy about 8-12 1-pound industrial dessicator bags. To absorb moisture and protect leather (and any wood) interior. Put 1 or 2 each in the trunks.

-Block wheels, don't use e-brake

-Move car beginning of every month about 8-12 inches

-In Spring, when you go for the first start, put in 5th gear, and push car until you hear the engine manually turn over and and take a few "breaths". Then start with the key.

Thanks for the tips... I bought this vehicle CPO and the two year "minor" service was done already in late February, so I think the brake fluid whould have been changed at that time correct?

Thanks for the tips... I bought this vehicle CPO and the two year "minor" service was done already in late February, so I think the brake fluid whould have been changed at that time correct?

Not necessarily. I doubt they did the brake fluid.

Not necessarily. I doubt they did the brake fluid.

I checked my maintenance book, sure enough, they did do the brake fluid earlier this year... good news!

Thanks again for the tips, I already have the car cover, and I will get some of the anti moisture bags, great idea!

Just another quick question on this... Is this strictly to protect the interior and trunks against moisture, or should I also be placing a few large bags under the car to prevent moisture on the underside of the car. My garage floor does not sweat and has been sealed with epoxy, however there will be moisture in the garage from snow on the other cars melting etc...

Thanks again White!

Dan

Just another quick question on this... Is this strictly to protect the interior and trunks against moisture, or should I also be placing a few large bags under the car to prevent moisture on the underside of the car. My garage floor does not sweat and has been sealed with epoxy, however there will be moisture in the garage from snow on the other cars melting etc...

Thanks again White!

Dan

Dan, that is an excellent question.

I have full leather and a few sycamore wood accents in my 987S. I like the use of the desiccator bags to protect the interior. I throw a few in the trunks just to keep everything clean & dry.

And yes, I do park on a large plastic painting tarp from Home Depot. Try to find one about 3-4 mils thick. I failed to mention this in my "Tips" above.

if you don't plan to drive it often (less than once a month), you may want to consider a indoor car cover. Also, leave the doors, hood & trunk cracked open (latched, but you can't just pull open), so the rubber seals aren't compressed the entire time during storage. You may also want to consider cover the tailpipe opening with tin foil or something, so rodents won't make homes in your exhaust. If you do this, leave a note on the seat or dash to remind yourself to pull them off when you go start the car. I think you mentioned battery maintainer. I've never used fuel stabilizer.. just keep a full tank of gas in the car - don't know about those fuel additives. I think that's all I have to add to others comments. I lived in Western NY years ago and we get 6 - 7 months of winter. The above is pretty much what I did when I put a car in winter storage.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never used fuel stabilizer.. just keep a full tank of gas in the car - don't know about those fuel additives. I think that's all I have to add to others comments. I lived in Western NY years ago and we get 6 - 7 months of winter. The above is pretty much what I did when I put a car in winter storage.

I've been storing my Porsches over winter for 15+ plus years and have always used Stabil fuel stabilizer. I've never had any fuel related issues with using this additive. I also have a car that gets driven about 150-300 miles per year and have fuel that is 2+ years old in the tank that still burns well enough. A double dose of Stabil will help extend the life of fuel if you need to store the car more than a year.

Keep in mind that reformulated fuels in use in many places in the US will start to deteriorate after 30 days. Non reformulated fuel (pure gasoline) has a shelf life of about 90 days.

Jay

08 987

90 911

84 911

• 3 weeks later...
Keep in mind that reformulated fuels in use in many places in the US will start to deteriorate after 30 days. Non reformulated fuel (pure gasoline) has a shelf life of about 90 days.

Jay

08 987

90 911

84 911

Very good point on the fuel. I fill the tank with non-oxy fuel (usually the last couple of fills are non-oxy) before storing for the winter and also use a stabilizer. Since I store in an heated facility (45 to 50 degrees) I don't do much other than increase the tire pressure to 50 psi to prevent flat spots. I also throw in a couple of dryer fabric sheets for fragrance and some contend it keeps out rodents (an old boat storage trick). The place I store at disconnects the battery since charges are against code. No problems the past 2 winters.

• 4 weeks later...

Jay

08 987

90 911

84 911

Very good point on the fuel. I fill the tank with non-oxy fuel (usually the last couple of fills are non-oxy) before storing for the winter and also use a stabilizer. Since I store in an heated facility (45 to 50 degrees) I don't do much other than increase the tire pressure to 50 psi to prevent flat spots. I also throw in a couple of dryer fabric sheets for fragrance and some contend it keeps out rodents (an old boat storage trick). The place I store at disconnects the battery since charges are against code. No problems the past 2 winters.

Glad to find out about the fabric sheets. I had mice nest on top of my engine last winter next to the oil cooler. They didn't gnaw through any wiring or hoses that I could see. I tried oil of mint but to no avail.