Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

snow tires for carrera 4s

2002 carrera 4s, called dealer they didn't know what tires to use. Spoke to firestone dealer his recommendation was wrong. Another dealer etc... Bottom line, I spent about two hours with a tire calculator and came up with 215/45R18 for the front and 275/35R18 for the rear. These have the same revolutions per mile, they will fit on the rim widths within spec. This is for running with the wheels that are stock. Ideally, you would be better off with a different set of rims that are narrower. I just happen to own two sets of rims with stock dimesions. I didn't want a third set of wheels. The overall diameter is about a half inch higher than stock.

2002 carrera 4s, called dealer they didn't know what tires to use. Spoke to firestone dealer his recommendation was wrong. Another dealer etc... Bottom line, I spent about two hours with a tire calculator and came up with 215/45R18 for the front and 275/35R18 for the rear. These have the same revolutions per mile, they will fit on the rim widths within spec. This is for running with the wheels that are stock. Ideally, you would be better off with a different set of rims that are narrower. I just happen to own two sets of rims with stock dimesions. I didn't want a third set of wheels. The overall diameter is about a half inch higher than stock.

Apprently you don't have a owners manual?? Stock sizes for 2002 C4S atandard rims is 225-40-18 fronts and 295-30-18 rears.

Hope this what you were looking for?? demosan

Nobody makes a 295 30 18 snow tire. The problem is its too wide. I posted to let others who may be interested in a snow what should work on standard wheels. Two wheel drive Carrera's are no problem because the front wheels can operate at different revolutions per mile. The all wheel drive cars need to operate at virtually the same revolutions per mile. The sizes I posted will fit on the standard wheel sizes and RPM will match. :)

Nobody makes a 295 30 18 snow tire. The problem is its too wide. I posted to let others who may be interested in a snow what should work on standard wheels. Two wheel drive Carrera's are no problem because the front wheels can operate at different revolutions per mile. The all wheel drive cars need to operate at virtually the same revolutions per mile. The sizes I posted will fit on the standard wheel sizes and RPM will match. :)

Hi,

I have a 2003 C4S and use 225/40/18 and 265/35/18 winter tires on stock rims (8" front, 10" rear as recommended by Porsche for winter tires) . I used Pirelli's for the last two years and just recently purchased some LM25 Blizzaks from TireRack for this year. They're being discontinued and TireRack is clearing them out....I got them for 1/2 price.

Cheers,

Ron

Edited by Geldgrube

The best way to go is to put dedicated winter wheels on your C4S. I have a set of dedicated 8x18 fronts and 8x10 rears. It's important to select the proper offset for your wheels since you are downsizing to a 10-inch width in the back. The recommended front offset remains ET50, while the back should be ET47. If you use this combination, no spacers are required on the rears. I'm running 225/40/18s on the front and 265/35/18s on the back, as recommended by Porsche. I bought a new set of Blizzak LM-25s this year, at a great price.

There are OEM wheel options available, as well as aftermarket wheels in the proper size and offset. I went with replica Sport Techno wheels that are made in Italy.

post-23187-1252669158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dennis C

I've been tracking Tirerack for months and their prices fluctuate.

I just ordered a great deal from tirerack:

These sizes are for a C2.

2 x 235/40R-18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 N1 (Porsche) In Stock $187.00 = $374.00

2 x 265/40R-18 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 N1 (Porsche) XL In Stock $186.00 = $372.00

Regular pricing is/was $ 216 and 250 per tire (N2). I'm not too concerned with N1 vs. N2 due to my driving style during the winter time (Michigan). I'm more concerned with other idiot drivers, icebergs, and pot holes.

Now I have to find 18" rims.

My advice: I don't think you have to get too critical with winter tires in that you'll only have them on for say 5 months and the conditions will be muddy, snowing, dry mud... You'll never be able to hit 150 mph or corner like you would in the summer months with summer tires. I used to drive on 17" rims but it looked too stupid so this year, I'm upgrading to 18" rims with the Porsche tire recommended size. BTW, my summer tires are 19" Carrera S rims and yes I can't find winter tires so I'm going with after market 'look-alike' 18" rims and a set of the above tires.

My only concern now is with the TPMS. The old set (17") was off of my old boxster and when I ran them this last winter, I had to put up with a TPMS error each start-up.

Another topic but has anyone any knowledge on installing a tpms system on rims? I'm assuming you stick the unit on the inside rim surface coinciding with the air valve? Just wondering...

Ken

Edited by racerken

• 3 months later...

To save me from buying new wheels, my local Porsche dealer yesterday put my 2003 C4S 6 speed onto Pirelli W240 Sottozero Series II 295/35/18 tires at the back, and put 235/40/18 tires on the front. The steering doesn't feel as tight as my summer Conti's, which are 225/40/18's in the front. Should the dealer have put 225's on the front? Will this tire combination be okay with my AWD?

Edited by Monte Weiner

To save me from buying new wheels, my local Porsche dealer yesterday put my 2003 C4S 6 speed onto Pirelli W240 Sottozero Series II 295/35/18 tires at the back, and put 235/40/18 tires on the front. The steering doesn't feel as tight as my summer Conti's, which are 225/40/18's in the front. Should the dealer have put 225's on the front? Will this tire combination be okay with my AWD?

Nope, you're fine and your dealer did the right thing; the wider front make the rolling diameter of the fronts and rears the same since the winter rears have a slightly higher profile (35 vs 30). This keeps your PSM and ABS system happy. I've been using the same size tires for the past 3 winters with no problems. Just replaced the worn rear last month with the same thing once again and now I'm ready for it's fourth winter (if it ever snows).

Edited by pongobaz

Nope, you're fine and your dealer did the right thing; the wider front make the rolling diameter of the fronts and rears the same since the winter rears have a slightly higher profile (35 vs 30). This keeps your PSM and ABS system happy. I've been using the same size tires for the past 3 winters with no problems. Just replaced the worn rear last month with the same thing once again and now I'm ready for it's fourth winter (if it ever snows).

I used the Tire Rack and I purchased the recommended widths front and back for 18" tires on my C4S. I purchased a new set of rims as well and they came installed and balanced. Tires are Blizzaks LM60. Price was great. The recommended 265 width for the rear is small even with the 10" rim, so the rim sticks out from the tire a little (watch those curbs). But otherwise they are great in the snow.

• 7 years later...

I saw the email thread from 2009 re: winter tires for a 2003 911 C4s and was wondering if the tire sizes below are still a good option vs. buying a separate set of rims? The posting said to go with Pirelli W240 Sottozero Series II 295/35/18 tires at the back and put 235/40/18 tires on the front, is that still a good option?  The Porsche manual says to go with 265/35/18 on the rears but I have an 11in rear wheel, not 10 in?  Any suggestions? 

Edited by Ari

Fellows,

This discussion makes me very glad I live on the Coast.

It's wet, but rarely if ever snows.

Reading about "tire wars," is almost as much fun as reading about "oil wars."

For the record: Turbo Twists, Michelin PS2, N3, 295/30ZR18, 225/40ZR18, 24x7x365.

Warm, or perhaps, wet regards to all.

ps: It's good to have an suv in the family with M+S tires, just in case.

Edited by judgejon

2 hours ago, Ari said:

I saw the email thread from 2009 re: winter tires for a 2003 911 C4s and was wondering if the tire sizes below are still a good option vs. buying a separate set of rims? The posting said to go with Pirelli W240 Sottozero Series II 295/35/18 tires at the back and put 235/40/18 tires on the front, is that still a good option?  The Porsche manual says to go with 265/35/18 on the rears but I have an 11in rear wheel, not 10 in?  Any suggestions? 

I moved to Germany with my 997 and recently purchased the 'Porsche' approved winter tire wheels and tires (not MS).  Here, if you deviate from OEM:  if you get pulled over for any reason, you get a 200 euro or so ticket, if you get into an accident, you are immediate to blame and insurance is not valid - you're screwed.  I'm sure there are arguments to not go OEM or to go OEM.  All i can say is that on the autobahn the other day, i was flying at about 200 km (dry but cold) and had to panic break, an entire pack (front and rear) all stopped in time with 2 m between cars.  We all had reflexes and winter tires.  in your case, since you don't drive very fast in the US, just get good advice from someone that knows the suspension swing and required clearance.  That said, wide for snow is not necessarily good.

35 minutes ago, judgejon said:

Fellows,

This discussion makes me very glad I live on the Coast.

It's wet, but rarely if ever snows.

Reading about "tire wars," is almost as much fun as reading about "oil wars."

For the record: Turbo Twists, Michelin PS2, N3, 295/30ZR18, 225/40ZR18, 24x7x365.

Warm, or perhaps, wet regards to all.

ps: It's good to have an suv in the family with M+S tires, just in case.

Sir,  you are missing out on 4-wheel slides and ultra motor performance due to low temperature, dense air.  You are A1 about N rated tires!!!