Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sprint Booster Revisited: WOW!

About a month ago, I installed a Sprint Booster on my 04 C4S Tip. I wanted to wait and see if I am completely satisfied with the product before recommending it to others. Well, I am here to tell you that this product is without a doubt the BEST addition that I have put on my car since I owned it. It has really livened up the acceleration. It has improved the driveability of my Tiptronic transmission remarkedly. I used to never use 5th gear on the freeway, because I thought that it made the car sluggish. Now in 5th,when I hit the gas pedal it jumps into 4th and I get this rush of power. I really feel the difference in the mid range RPMs when I need more speed it jumps up much more lively to the high RPMS without effort. The Sprint Booster has make my car much more fun to drive. (PS I have no affiliation with Sprint Booster and I paid the same money you would for the product).

About a month ago, I installed a Sprint Booster on my 04 C4S Tip. I wanted to wait and see if I am completely satisfied with the product before recommending it to others. Well, I am here to tell you that this product is without a doubt the BEST addition that I have put on my car since I owned it. It has really livened up the acceleration. It has improved the driveability of my Tiptronic transmission remarkedly. I used to never use 5th gear on the freeway, because I thought that it made the car sluggish. Now in 5th,when I hit the gas pedal it jumps into 4th and I get this rush of power. I really feel the difference in the mid range RPMs when I need more speed it jumps up much more lively to the high RPMS without effort. The Sprint Booster has make my car much more fun to drive. (PS I have no affiliation with Sprint Booster and I paid the same money you would for the product).

And just how sure are you that the OEM e-throttle firmware wasn't written/designed to be "lazy"/slow in order to give the Tip clutches time to more firmly and fully seat, especially on a "hard", ACCELERATING, downshift....??

If you were driving a manual transmission what sequence would you use on the clutch/shifter/gas pedal...??

With the Tip you're pushing down on the gas pedal in order to initiate a downshift sequence, do you really want the engine RPM to be rising, EACH and EVERY time, before the Tip even "leaves" the higher gear...??

Since this car also has the paddle shifters, I can hard downshift into fourth anytime I want to. Usually I use the paddle shifters almost 95% of the time, the Sprint Booster just gives the gas pedal more control and more real acceleration without it. I used the example of the 5th into 4th scenario as a small example of what this can do. Just ask anyone who has a Sprint Booster if they returned their product back after the 30 day guarantee period. I'll bet most have kept the product and are really satisfied with the SB. Check the past threads on this.

Since this car also has the paddle shifters, I can hard downshift into fourth anytime I want to. Usually I use the paddle shifters almost 95% of the time, the Sprint Booster just gives the gas pedal more control and more real acceleration without it. I used the example of the 5th into 4th scenario as a small example of what this can do. Just ask anyone who has a Sprint Booster if they returned their product back after the 30 day guarantee period. I'll bet most have kept the product and are really satisfied with the SB. Check the past threads on this.

I agree. Owners are not likely to experience the downside until 40-60,000 miles.

Just how much is a Tip rebuild...?

Wwest, you are quite the soothsayer! Doom and gloom. You really have nothing to base your "predictions" on. It is evident that you have not even tried the SB and yet you have become an expert on the subject. I don't try to pretend to be any expert on any subject when it come to Porsche mechanics. Few can. All I know, it that after I installed the SB on my Pcar, my acceleration is markedly better and more responsive. The shifting between gears is no quicker or slower. End of story.

Without a doubt one of my favorite things about Renntech is that everyone is as civilized as a bunch of middle aged guys can be without the wives around to keep things in line. That being said, every once in a great while it's rejuvenating to know that people can still have such passion for these beautiful cars. Those of us that deal with them on a daily basis for a living often loose sight of just how much a Porsche means to its owner. Sorry for the interruption gentlemen. Game on! :cheers:

... I don't try to pretend to be any expert on any subject when it come to Porsche mechanics. Few can. All I know, it that after I installed the SB on my Pcar, my acceleration is markedly better and more responsive. The shifting between gears is no quicker or slower. End of story.

I never heard of the Sprint Booster before, so I googled it, looked at their web site - http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ - and read their product info. From what I could tell from their specs, this thing only changes the throttle mapping, doesn't increase horsepower (per their web site), and doesn't improve 0 to 60 times (again from their web site). As far as I can tell, it doesn't do much other than making the gas pedal operate the throttle more aggressively in the lower RPM ranges, giving the illusion of power and speed. I'm not knocking the product, but does it do anything more than making the car feel faster?

Wwest, you are quite the soothsayer! Doom and gloom. You really have nothing to base your "predictions" on. It is evident that you have not even tried the SB and yet you have become an expert on the subject. I don't try to pretend to be any expert on any subject when it come to Porsche mechanics. Few can. All I know, it that after I installed the SB on my Pcar, my acceleration is markedly better and more responsive. The shifting between gears is no quicker or slower. End of story.

Sorry, but I just happen to know, absolutely FACTUALLY, that Toyota/Lexus are using e-throttle firmware "to protect the drive train" via inducing delays in engine RPM/torque rising until enough time has elapsed for the automatic transaxles to fully complete a shift, most especially a downshift where in the pedal position indicates hard acceleration requiring a "severe" (multiple level) downshift.

Not saying Porsche does that, but I simply wouldn't take the chance.

Edited by wwest

Sorry, but I just happen to know, absolutely FACTUALLY, that Toyota/Lexus are using e-throttle firmware "to protect the drive train" via inducing delays in engine RPM/torque rising until enough time has elapsed for the automatic transaxles to fully complete a shift, most especially a downshift where in the pedal position indicates hard acceleration requiring a "severe" (multiple level) downshift.

Not saying Porsche does that, but I simply wouldn't take the chance.

Oh, and how does SB "handle" the dethrottling function of PSM when the throttle plate MUST NOT "follow" the gas pedal.

... I don't try to pretend to be any expert on any subject when it come to Porsche mechanics. Few can. All I know, it that after I installed the SB on my Pcar, my acceleration is markedly better and more responsive. The shifting between gears is no quicker or slower. End of story.

I never heard of the Sprint Booster before, so I googled it, looked at their web site - http://www.sprintboostersales.com/ - and read their product info. From what I could tell from their specs, this thing only changes the throttle mapping, doesn't increase horsepower (per their web site), and doesn't improve 0 to 60 times (again from their web site). As far as I can tell, it doesn't do much other than making the gas pedal operate the throttle more aggressively in the lower RPM ranges, giving the illusion of power and speed. I'm not knocking the product, but does it do anything more than making the car feel faster?

The way I read the installation directions it installs between the gas pedal sensors and the ECU. Someone please correct me if this is wrong but IMO in that position ALL it can EVER do is simulate the "acceleration" the pedal travel to full "lead foot" quicker than humanly possible. And, obviously, no interference with PSM dethrottling.

98% snake oil.

Just try the Sprint Booster, then you can have a "qualified opinion" on the subject. They have a complete 30-day money back guarantee. Keep the original box and all the paperwork and return it. Nothing to lose. Installation is very easy, and only takes about 10 minutes. All the work is done under the dash near the steering column. I have driven my car for the past 3 years without it, and I could immediately tell the difference in the acceleration response. By the way, scientists are now finding that "snake oil" has very unique medicinal properties and can save lives as an anticoagulant and a nerve blocking agent in paralysis.

Just try the Sprint Booster, then you can have a "qualified opinion" on the subject. They have a complete 30-day money back guarantee. Keep the original box and all the paperwork and return it. Nothing to lose. Installation is very easy, and only takes about 10 minutes. All the work is done under the dash near the steering column. I have driven my car for the past 3 years without it, and I could immediately tell the difference in the acceleration response. By the way, scientists are now finding that "snake oil" has very unique medicinal properties and can save lives as an anticoagulant and a nerve blocking agent in paralysis.

I think Wwest's entire position is that the SB may actually be harming the drive train. In my book that is something to loose. He never said that the driver wouldn't perceive increased acceleration. He simply questions that the possible risks might outweigh the perceived benefits.

Hi Bill!

:)

I beleive the argument is, that the Sprint Booster puts undue stress on the transmission by shortening the gear changing time. The SB in no way decreases ( or increases) the time it takes the transmission to downshift or upshift. The timing of the shift is exactly the same as before. It does, however, increase the pedal responsiveness, especially in the mid-RPM range. The example that I gave originally, was that I was in 5th in Auto mode on the freeway, and I went to pass another car and when the transmission downshifted into fourth, in its own time, as I depressed the pedal, I got an immediate power surge, that I never had before the SB. Again, I am not here to promote the SB, but I personally have found it to be a great addition to the driveability of the car. We as Porsche owners go to great lengths to increase the speed and looks of the Porsche. We spend a lot of money on headers, mufflers, plenums, air boxes, ECU upgrades, etc. WHY? because Porsche does not! We already know that the Porsche in Europe is quite a different machine than the American Porsche. Certain models are available in Europe that are not available in the USA. So, I guess the argument is that either Porsche does not need to spend the extra dollars for these extras, or that they cannot spend the money due to regulations here in the USA. My second thought is that I have a 2004 C4S and technology has increase dramatically in the last 5 years. Just maybe, this technology was not around when my car was built. Remember the Pentium 3?

I beleive the argument is, that the Sprint Booster puts undue stress on the transmission by shortening the gear changing time. The SB in no way decreases ( or increases) the time it takes the transmission to downshift or upshift. The timing of the shift is exactly the same as before. It does, however, increase the pedal responsiveness, especially in the mid-RPM range. The example that I gave originally, was that I was in 5th in Auto mode on the freeway, and I went to pass another car and when the transmission downshifted into fourth, in its own time, as I depressed the pedal, I got an immediate power surge, that I never had before the SB. Again, I am not here to promote the SB, but I personally have found it to be a great addition to the driveability of the car. We as Porsche owners go to great lengths to increase the speed and looks of the Porsche. We spend a lot of money on headers, mufflers, plenums, air boxes, ECU upgrades, etc. WHY? because Porsche does not! We already know that the Porsche in Europe is quite a different machine than the American Porsche. Certain models are available in Europe that are not available in the USA. So, I guess the argument is that either Porsche does not need to spend the extra dollars for these extras, or that they cannot spend the money due to regulations here in the USA. My second thought is that I have a 2004 C4S and technology has increase dramatically in the last 5 years. Just maybe, this technology was not around when my car was built. Remember the Pentium 3?

You're missing the point, entirely.

You are absolutely correct that the transmission shift, shifting time, is not affected by the SB.

Which is where the problem might lie. The standard e-throttle operation might allow for the time, full and complete time, for the transmission to accomplish a shift before allowing the engine RPM to quickly, too quickly, begin rising.

My concerns about this possibility are somewhat alleviated after reading the install procedure for the SB. I was confused as to how the SB could accomplish the functionality without interfering with PSM's ability to INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine when necessary so I went to the SB site to find out.

If the install information is correct then no one need worry about my point.

It appears that the only thing the SB has any capability of performing is to make the engine ECU think the driver is SUPER-HUMAN. Able to move tall...no, wait, that's another story line....

.....Able to move the gas pedal fully to the floor faster than the average human.

Someone will advise me if I'm wrong but the way I see it if the instructions are correct and the SB functionality is imposed between the gas pedal sensor(s) and the engine ECU than what other functionality is possible...?

• Admin

wwest is right - there is a lot of communication going on between the DME, PSM, Tiptronc, and the accelerator pedal position sensor.

It is described in great detail in the 2002 (mark 2) Service Information book (available here to our Contributing Members).

The Tiptronic (for example) recognizes how quickly the accelerator pedal is released (like in emergency braking, etc.) and uses the engine and transmission for braking.

There is much more - the article is more than 7 pages long.

Just went back and read "WHY IT WORKS" at the SB site.

Even simpler than I thought.

Lets say that your gas pedal puts out a signal voltage of 4.00 volts at the mid-travel point and 8.00 volts on the floor.

What the SB appears to do is "multiply" the gas pedal's positional sensor output voltage by ~2. So by the time your foot moves the pedal to the mid-point the engine ECU is seeing 8.00 volts and therefore more quickly goes to WOT.

Does that make the last 50% of gas pedal travel a "dead zone"...??

Or maybe it only multiplies the signal if it "sees" the gas pedal being depressed rapidly....??

Acceleration and power is constant thru the RPM range. No lag at higher RPM. Middle RPM is much more responsive than before, and truly, I don't "put the pedal to the metal" often and I never redline the car. I do not use the car to track, just to drive around, more of a garage queen than a daily driver ( I travel alot) .After all has been said on both sides, I like the Sprint Booster, I do not think the way I drive the car that I am damaging anything, and it greatly increases the fun of driving my Pcar. I plan on putting the SB on all of my cars (BMW M3:manual and MB E-430:auto). Thanks for all of your imput, it has been an interesting conversation. JG ('04 C4S, Tip, Cab, Spd Yellow)

Acceleration and power is constant thru the RPM range. No lag at higher RPM. Middle RPM is much more responsive than before, and truly, I don't "put the pedal to the metal" often and I never redline the car. I do not use the car to track, just to drive around, more of a garage queen than a daily driver ( I travel alot) .After all has been said on both sides, I like the Sprint Booster, I do not think the way I drive the car that I am damaging anything, and it greatly increases the fun of driving my Pcar. I plan on putting the SB on all of my cars (BMW M3:manual and MB E-430:auto). Thanks for all of your imput, it has been an interesting conversation. JG ('04 C4S, Tip, Cab, Spd Yellow)

"..I don't put the "pedal to the metal" often..."

The way I read the SB documentation you don't need to, that's what the SB does for you, UNCONDITIONALLY.

• 8 months later...

Old thread, but as a recent adopter of the *new* Sprint booster I thought I'd chime in.

Some what is said above is true, but I am not sure it still applies. Yes, the original SB was a little like an ON-OFF switch, which is why I returned it !

The new model is a 3 position unit with a remote, OFF - 50% and 100% - no idea what those correspond to exactly but clearly the 100% mode is less aggressive than before and the 50% mode is just about perfect...

Personally I'd buy the SB if *ALL* it did was kill the lag, and it does. The Throttle boost thing is a bonus at this point. The lack of lag makes a modern porsche feel like a well tuned long-hood 911S, for those who know what I mean. Instant reponse, like good carburators ! THAT has been lacking in most modern cars for a while now...

The 50% map is definitely not "pedal to the metal" and not jerky at all, nor do I believe it damages anything, it's more like it picks up the slack in the non-existent accelerator cable ;-)

I played back and forth between off and 50% during my commute, you cannot really tell once you are in motion, it's very subtle and therefore I'd be flabbergasted if that somehow lunched my engine or transmission. Mostly you can tell when taking off from idle. No lag, slightly more response... It's very nice for $300 or less... It feels like 50hp extra in the same manner a nicely tuned carburated car feels snappier than an E-gas car. Doesn't mean it is more powerful, but feel is important, is it not, or we'd all be driving corvettes... Can't put it in clearer terms...

I understand it's also got a good return policy, so I suggest trying the new model (switchable) before forming an opinion based on theories ;-)

Edited by deschodt