Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water drains - sloshing noises!

Hey all,

This is my first post here, having just collected my 2005MY Cayenne S yesterday afternoon and as with a lot of "first posts", I come to you needing help!!! After I picked the car up yesterday, it was caught in a 5 minute deluge with the sunroof on tilt - now while no water got into the cabin via the sunroof, I think some has got trapped within the sills via the sunroof drains. Unfortunately I can now hear a VERY annoying sloshing sound, which seems to be coming from the passenger side sill area. I'm going to have a look-see later for grommets etc that I can pull out, but it seems to me that one of the drain channels is likely blocked. Any tips on investigating/curing the problem would be most appreciated!

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

wvicary, the drains are located on the under edge of the under tray, over the entire length of the car (where the car bottom plate meets the tray = the lowest spots of the car, as usual.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I finally found and emptied the water drains !!! No more water sloshing noises. This is what I did.

1. I dropped under my cayenne and looked up at the driver side under sill (between the doors) near the outer edge (less than 20cm from outer edge) of the car.

2. Look for the "water drain valve" as shown in the diagram below. it is black and 40mm in diameter.

Screenshot2012-05-22at155024.png

2a. There is one each towards the front of the car on each side of the under sill. Two in total.

2b. Squeeze it out carefully. Lots of water came out of the hole for this one on the driver side (UK is right hand side).

2c. There are four parts (including the rubber-ring) to it. Be very careful not to loose its two small parts (valve and its holder)! Separate them out and clean out the filth, hard wax (collected after hot car wax washes, etc). You may want to stick in your finger or a pipe-cleaner to clean out the accumulated dirt in that hole.

2d. Softly peel back the outer rim and Re-fit them back into the hole. The outer cover should fall back in nicely like before it was taken out.

2e.Make sure the hole is pointing towards back of the car. You don't want the hole clogged up with mud when the wheel spins. If done properly, you will enjoy the sight of water trickling down onto the garage floor. Done!

Note: If you lose one, don't worry, Look at the bottom right edge of the tailgate and you will found one there. Its not a spare but at least you can use it till you get a replacement.

3. Along the under sill, you will find these 'stoppers" as shown here. There are two on each side. Four in total for both sides. They are black and 40mm in diameter.

Screenshot2012-05-22at160014.png

3a. These stoppers are spaced at the mid and rear section of the under sill. Not hard to find.

3b. Squeeze them out like in Step 2b. Lots of water came out from the holes for my case.

3c. There are two parts (including rubber ring) to it. No valves or opening at all. I don't recommend making a hole in them. Mud or debris kicked in from the surface during car use might clot up the hole and causing more trouble than it should.

3d. Clean it. Softly peel back the outer rim and Re-fit them back. The outer cover should fall back in nicely like before it was taken out.

I hope you find this guide useful. May it help you save some money with some fun simple DIY.

Cheers!

Edited by Eye in the Sky

Could someone take a photo of the drain in the car - perhaps hold your SmartPhone under the car and push the button? I looked on my Ti edition this AM and couldn't find the drains. I suspect they may be covered by the sill-trim that is added for the Ti edition (and I believe the GTS and mebbe the turbo, or at least some turbos..)

That trim doesn't look easy to remove.

A photo would make this all clear to us simple minded people who can't find the **** things..

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went looking yesterday and can't find anything that looks like the illustrations.. my Cayenne has the sport design body kit (Titanium model) - which has extended sill trim.

What I did find is a lot of detrius (ie - crap) behind the front wheel arch liners. I wondered why after it rained I'd see a slow drip for quite a while out of the corner by the trim and wheel liner..

Well, I pulled out the bottom of the wheel arch liner (remove a couple of T25 screws).. and found:

porschedirt1.jpg

I then found that part of the lower trim easily popped out exposing the area.. This is the other (port) side:

porschedirt3.jpg

And after cleaning it out with an air-gun, and eventually a hose..

porschedirt2.jpg

I was happy to find there was no rust. I suspect the crap was from dirt/eaves/whirlygigs that wash down the windshield and into the plastic at the lower corners of the windshield. After 6 years of stuff washing down, this was the result. The plastic pieces popped right off using a trim removal tool (the blue plastic lever thing) - I'll eventually be replacing the rubber grommets that the trim mounts pop into.. have to visit my friendly local dealer and order a bunch. Apparently the lower door trim is attached the same way. I wonder what's behind that trim?

Now - does ANYONE have photos of the drains that were mentioned above?

Edited by deilenberger

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe my sunroof drain is blocked as well as I hear the sloshing sound coming from the rear driver area.  The carpet is wet as well.  I  have running boards which prevents me from seeing the drain as pictured.  Any suggestion on other ways of unclogging the drain?

Thanks

Edited by rlim

• 10 months later...

All, as an update if this helps anyone.

I have a 2004 cayenne that has porsche side steps on, my steps cover the drain plugs down the side of the car (is this normal)?

there are 3 drain plugs on each side.

I posted a video over this weekend of me lowering the side steps and draining the plugs. here it is on youtube

cheers

tony