Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was looking at 996's

Hey Guys,

I have been looking at 996's but I am thinking that they may not be for me. I wanted one with about 50K and in the 25K range. After hearing about the engines I am very concerned. What do you guys think. I own mostly american cars and this is a new area for me. If I don't get the 996 I most likely will get a C5 Z06 corvette. I have owned many vettes and am kinda tired of them. This will also be my daily driver.

If you want a 996 Porsche get a warranty. Thre are some great 996 Turbo's on the market with reasonable prices and warranties. If you are a long time Corvette owner you will be very shocked about the costs involved in any drivetrain issues in a P car.

My advice would be to spend more money and get the newest one you can.

There a many 996's at dealerships with warranties. They are awesome cars. Just do it right and you will be a happy owner.

Just my 2 cents. :cheers:

Edited by phillipj

Look for a 2002-2003 or newer... Updated engine. I believe far fewer problems. Cost of ownership is a toss up for either Z06 or 996. You can dig up old videos from "Top Gear" and "Supercars Exposed"... The hosts have always preferred the 996 over the ZO6. Why? Better track performance and more comfort for the ride home. Most people find the ZO6 a harsh daily driver with great straight line performance. Don't compare horsepower... the technology of the Porsche is far superior. The application of the horsepower is crucial. If you want a hard ride and a car to drag race... the ZO6 wins. Overall performance... the Porsche wins.

I owned a 2000 996 Coupe for 7 years without any issues. Just did routine maintenance. It was a great car and tons of fun. Honestly, of the 7 or 8 p-cars I've owned, there have been NO major issues that I had to address. Find the right one, make a commitment and enjoy!

Randall

There are some basic updates which could give you some reassurance against anything catastrophic. I have young kids. The 996 was great for me. Drive them both see what you like. The zo6 will seem like a monster in comparison. I am hoping to do some driver education events with mine.

I had one that was bullet proof and one that blew up without warning. There are more that are reliable than ones that are not.

I love the 996.

But I'm going to say it again. Get a warranty

i would really like to get an extended warranty for the 911 i am looking to buy as well. any recommendations on where to get one. i am looking at a '99 with ~60K.

The 996 is a great car. I purchased my Targa at a dealer and got a warrenty. I looked and waited until I found one with low miles in the year I wanted. The only thing that I regret is NOT getting one SOONER! Everytime I drive the car I am happy.

Tony C

I drive my 996 every day, rain or shine. It's a great daily driver and very reliable.

Similiar experience for my '03 996; I now have just under 90,000 miles; The afternoon commute is a great way to unwind between work and home.

It has had a few issues, but no single issue that cost over $1,000; that excludes the one clutch replacement. Plus, if you are interested in performing the maintainance and minor repairs yourself to ease the effect on your budget, there are several on this forum who are friendly, patient, and knowledgeable; they've guided me through several projects.

Tim